Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Home charger installation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I saw them, they look quite nice. Where does the cable go if not visible, buried?
Very neatly (and concealed) around the charging unit itself. Ours is due to be fitted next week... We have been "granny charging" since March... With the Lockdown this has been fine. But I am looking forwards to getting this fitted.
We decided to do this for the looks, the cable length and the fact that the cable does not have to be fully unwound to use it.
But you are right: it was not the cheapest !

Very neatly (and concealed) around the charging unit itself. Ours is due to be fitted next week... We have been "granny charging" since March... With the Lockdown this has been fine. But I am looking forwards to getting this fitted.
We decided to do this for the looks, the cable length and the fact that the cable does not have to be fully unwound to use it.
But you are right: it was not the cheapest !
In the real world rather than quoted figures how much charge have you been getting from a normal socket?

In the real world rather than quoted figures how much charge have you been getting from a normal socket?

We charge at 10A from standard UK 3 pin '13A' socket.

In the 4 hour Octopus Go period, I set the charge limit at +11% for it to turn off after approx 4 hours. How many driving miles we get for that 11% is highly variable, but probably varies from not many to 20-30 miles.

This is for a LR Model 3 battery.

Thanks. That's not too bad. I think I'll have a week or two between getting the car and having the charger installed so can cope with that.

I don't know where your socket is located, but i had a long cable made up by ToughLeads that has been brilliant... it has an inline RCD and a waterproof extension socket. If you need an extension cable for your granny charging then I really recommend these guys.

Reactions: Cyclone1
Andersen A2 is a quality bit of kit, but you do pay a king's ransom for the aesthetics. Such is life.

If you're on Octopus Agile you can set a schedule on it that excludes the 16:00 - 19:00 peak period, which is nice. Andersen have removed the web interface that you used to be able to use to remotely control and see stats for the charger, which is a shame. It's just the app that they provide now, which is functional.

Can't complain about the hardware though, it looks the business.

IMG_3942.jpg

We went with Andersen as well, bit more expensive but well worth it in my opinion and the scheduled charging feature is great. Ours is set so it only charges overnight (we’d notice anyone parked on the drive at that time).
Typically though we had it installed during lockdown and we’ve barely used it - instead we’ve charged up for free at a Tesco round the corner.

Moderator comment - post moved from installer recommendations sticky as post does not recommend/mention a specific installer

I used Pod Point and was very happy with the process. They have a very automated system but with people in the background to escalate to if needed. They handled the OLEV rebate as well. Great communication about the install date and the engineer was timely with a call beforehand to narrow down his arrival and was clean and tidy as well as respectful of social distancing.

Happy to adjust the install slightly to what had been planned and could deal with a more complex electrical install, he had to install extra power taps for the breaker as the existing taps were all used up.

Good explanation of the workings and how to hook up the app etc.

Would recommend.

Last edited by a moderator: