Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Home charger not delivering full 30/mi/hr charge

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I recently installed a new home tesla charger with a 240v. Using a 14-50 to deliver. When I plugged my car in it went from the 80a to 12a max and is only charging 8/mph. My electrician checked and it is pulling 240v.

Any ideas whats going on? Its the elon musk black charger.

80A requires a 100A breaker and proper sized wiring. Are you sure that's what you have? You might have a breaker/wire combination that supports less amps but the wall connector is (mis)configured for 80A. Things would heat up and the car would reduce charging. In those older chargers there was a rotary switch to select the max amps the charger should provide.

EDIT: OH! 14-50... That has a max of 50A so you must only pull 40A out of it. Adjust your charger for a max of 40A.

Im not an expert, but what you have typed up there does not make any sense.

"you have a new tesla charger" (assuming wall connector... check)

"using 14-50 to deliver" (this sounds like you have a wall connector that has a 14-50 pigtail on it...)

"when plugged in car went from 80a to 12a.... (so it should not be possible for a 14-50 to deliver 80a at all)

In order for those who are good at this type of thing to help you, you are going to need to provide a lot more information, like

1. What type of "charger" did you install exactly? A Tesla wall connector gen 2? A Tesla wall connector gen 2 with a pigtail that came from tesla (very rare but exists)? A tesla wall connector that someone converted with a 14-50 pigtail? A tesla mobile connector (this wouldnt be "installed" but might be what you are talking about)?

2. What do you mean by "installed with 240v"? What wire size, what breaker did you have installed in the panel for it etc?

3. Why was the "14-50 outlet" even showing 80a? (what setting do you have the wall connector at for breaker size etc)?

Just off the wall, I suspect that if you have a gen 2 wall connector (the only one which can do 80amp from tesla) you didnt turn the little dial inside the wall connector to set the maximum charge amperage on the wall connector to whatever you actually installed..

I concur. We can figure a lot of stuff out, but you've given several details that don't seem to make sense and don't go together, so if you can describe your setup more, we can help more. For instance, the "Elon Musk" one sounds like the wall connector with the printed signature on the cover. But that's supposed to be a hard wired unit, so what does a 14-50 outlet have to do with any of this? So can you describe piece by piece what your circuit and equipment is?

Agree with all prior comments as to the lack of clarity in your problem description. However, at the risk of making assumptions I'm going to tell you what the likely problem is based on my understanding of what you said, and how to fix it.

I interpret your initial description to be that you had an electrician install a black gen 2 Tesla Wall connector, and that they did this it by creating a pigtail that plugs it into a NEMA 14-50 outlet.

The Gen 2 wall connector has a rotary switch on the inside that must be set to provide the correct current that corresponds with your install. That rotary switch is set to the lowest setting, position 1, from the factory, which limits output to 12 amps.

Again, ASSUMING your 14-50 outlet was installed correctly and with a 50 amp breaker, you need to open the front of the wall connector and set the rotary switch to position 8, which will provide the max continuous current of 40 amps that your circuit is rated to provide. The rotary dial setting is described on page 22 of the manual:

And just to add another detail to that, National Electric Code says that you need to follow the manufacturer's instructions when installing an appliance. The wall connector says it is to be a hard wired device. So if indeed you did attach a cord to plug it into a 14-50 outlet, that is not following the instructions, so it is a code violation.

I recently installed a new home tesla charger with a 240v. Using a 14-50 to deliver. When I plugged my car in it went from the 80a to 12a max and is only charging 8/mph. My electrician checked and it is pulling 240v.

Any ideas whats going on? Its the elon musk black charger.
By code a 50 amp circuit is only good for 40 amps. Your electrician should know that. If u want more speed the Tesla wall connector will do 37 mph if connected to a 60 amp breaker. Although usually the difference is not worth the extra cost especially if you charge every night to 80% as Elon recommends

If you do decide to come back and supply more details, I'd recommend posting pictures of EVERYTHING: the "Tesla charger" (properly the wall/mobile connector) , the outlet, the panel and breaker, and the wiring (if you can). Also include a picture of the car's screen while charging.

Agree with all prior comments as to the lack of clarity in your problem description. However, at the risk of making assumptions I'm going to tell you what the likely problem is based on my understanding of what you said, and how to fix it.

I interpret your initial description to be that you had an electrician install a black gen 2 Tesla Wall connector, and that they did this it by creating a pigtail that plugs it into a NEMA 14-50 outlet.

The Gen 2 wall connector has a rotary switch on the inside that must be set to provide the correct current that corresponds with your install. That rotary switch is set to the lowest setting, position 1, from the factory, which limits output to 12 amps.

Again, ASSUMING your 14-50 outlet was installed correctly and with a 50 amp breaker, you need to open the front of the wall connector and set the rotary switch to position 8, which will provide the max continuous current of 40 amps that your circuit is rated to provide. The rotary dial setting is described on page 22 of the manual:

If possible, can you describe, how to reach to that switch inside the charger, please.