Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Home charger options

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just curious, how can you charge "just about any EV" with 14-50 outlet? If you had J1772 EVSE, I can understand that...
Many mobole charge cables for EVs come with an adapter for those plus. My co-worker with a new Volvo XC90 T8 actually asked me if he was supposed to have a regular 110 plug on his cable, not realizing that the adapter was already attached, converting and covering his 110 plug.

Many mobole charge cables for EVs come with an adapter for those plus. My co-worker with a new Volvo XC90 T8 actually asked me if he was supposed to have a regular 110 plug on his cable, not realizing that the adapter was already attached, converting and covering his 110 plug.
Well, I have different experience. Before Tesla, I have not seen any EVs with multiple adapters for mobile connectors... Most obviously have mobile EVSE included, but those I saw all were for basic household 110V outlet.

Reactions: Az_Rael
Correct. The HPWC's advantages are:

1. Longer cable.

2. Hardwired (one less connection to have problems with).

3. Cable is heavier (less resistance) than the UMC's cable.

4. Potentially faster charging. Potentially means that to get the full charging rate a 100 amp circuit is required. This often means an expensive panel change and possibly service change as well. There are dip switches to lower the maximum rate so that a panel change isn't required, but then you don't get the full rate. This usually isn't an issue for normal charging but if you want to PlugShare it's suboptimal.

I use the UMC, and the cable length is the main disadvantage for me. (Can't park and charge in both possible parking locations.)

Tesla used to have the HPWC as an "option" when you configured the Tesla Model S. They dropped it as an option, as they now recommend the UMC: at 240V / 40A, or 26-29mph, will charge 210-232mi overnight in 8 hours. The UMC only needs two 50/50 breaker (which means no change in your electrical panel) and installing a NEMA 14-50 is normally around $500. For people that need a longer length than the UMC, this is available to do the job at only $55 on Amazon:

Amazon.com: Camco 55194 50 AMP 15' PowerGrip Extension Cord: Automotive

Last edited:
I have been using my Voltec charger from when I owned a Volt. It has a maximum of 15 Amp draw and a J1772 plug and I can charge my Model S at 10-11 miles per hour. I do have the duel chargers on my Tesla and have been looking at options to upgrade. Clearly the fastest option is the wall charger but I was trying to figure out what the charge rate would be with a 50amp upgrade using the mobile charger. I believe it maxes out at 40 amps and the website seems to imply that with duel chargers, this would be 58 mi/ hour charge rate. Can anyone confirm this?

We have a TurboCord Dual for the wife's Volvo. It has a J1772 connector. I rigged a 20A 240V outlet on a stove cord so the it runs off of the 14-50. Anyone who has a 14-50 adapter can plug directly into the 14-50 and pull up to 50A at 240V.
Just curious, how can you charge "just about any EV" with 14-50 outlet? If you had J1772 EVSE, I can understand that...

I personally don't see the point of the HPWC. Even when one of us has to do client visits we can charge it from under 50 miles range left to 80% before we wake up in off peak time.

Maybe it's just our lifestyle but I just never run into a situation when I need to charge it up super fast and I'm at home to do it.

Convenience. I have two houses and didn't want to constantly take the mobile cord in and out of the trunk. I had an HPWC installed in both houses. I had 100 amp service installed at the house I stay in the during the week (due to work), but only 40 amp service in the other house and they both suit my individual needs. I drive a lot during the week and the 60-61 miles per hour of charge has come in handy. It's all about ones individual driving needs. The mobile cord and a Nema 14-50 work just fine. I prefer the HPWC for convenience and the ability to charge at a higher rate when needed.

We have a new XC90 T8. The PowerCord Dual has two (dual) voltage capabilities. 120V @15A or 240V @ 20A.

Tesla used to have the HPWC as an "option" when you configured the Tesla Model S. They dropped it as an option, as they now recommend the UMC: at 240V / 40A, or 26-29mph, will charge 210-232mi overnight in 8 hours.

I do not believe Tesla dropping the HPWC as an option when ordering the car means that they are no longer "recommending" it.

When one purchased the HPWC along with the car, it came with a three-year warranty. If purchased separately it carried only a one-year warranty. I was planning on purchasing two, and specifically asked if I could purchase both with the car, in order to benefit from the additional warranty period, and I was told that I could not.

I am guessing the reasons that Tesla is no longer offering the HPWC as a configurable item that can be purchased along with the car has a lot to do with that extra warranty period, and also possibly that they don't want to give potential buyers the impression that the HPWC is required, which could potentially scare them off of the purchase entirely.

But back to my main point, I definitely do not believe that Tesla's removal of the HPWC from the car ordering page represents a shift in policy with respect to what Tesla recommends with respect to charging.

• Informative
Reactions: MP3Mike
OP,

Like others said, it's likely a bit premature to install an EVSE now, as there will be more devices in a couple of years, but I would personally recommend taking a look at OpenEVSE (OpenEV Store - OpenEV Store ). I think it's the most affordable EVSE with options to adjust to your specific power capabilities. This is a device I would likely use myself if/when my current Voltec (EVSE I've installed and have used for Volt for 3+ years) dies.
IMO there is definitely some value in having a dedicated device from convenience perspective, as well as redundancy (EVSE + UMC)

That is great. I had not seen that before. Thanks!

I have been using my Voltec charger from when I owned a Volt. It has a maximum of 15 Amp draw and a J1772 plug and I can charge my Model S at 10-11 miles per hour. I do have the duel chargers on my Tesla and have been looking at options to upgrade. Clearly the fastest option is the wall charger but I was trying to figure out what the charge rate would be with a 50amp upgrade using the mobile charger. I believe it maxes out at 40 amps and the website seems to imply that with duel chargers, this would be 58 mi/ hour charge rate. Can anyone confirm this?

I don't believe you can get 58mi/hr with UMC, it tops at 29mi/hr.

https://www.teslamotors.com/sites/default/files/pdfs/en_US/Charging_at_Home.pdf

I'm also using Voltec, and even at 10mi/hr it works for my daily needs, as car is able to replenish battery to 90% (daily level) nightly with my regular driving pattern. Anything out of that pattern for me would be caused by a long distance trip, so SC is what I rely on then (did a few long-ish 200+ miles trips since a got my MS70 in March).

IMG_20160326_121122008.jpg

Oh, I get it now! You do have an EVSE. Nice setup BTW, looks like you can charge 3 EVs or perhaps 2 EVs and a Zero cycle (including trickle charging via 110v outlet :) ) Nice to have electric panels so close to parking! I had to bring a 30'+ of cable from my main panel to install EVSE for Volt 3+ years ago. Will probably do a sub-panel in the garage when wife's M3 gets in.

Reactions: ABCCBA
I believe it maxes out at 40 amps and the website seems to imply that with duel chargers, this would be 58 mi/ hour charge rate. Can anyone confirm this?

I don't believe you can get 58mi/hr with UMC, it tops at 29mi/hr.

Yes, the 29 mi/hr* rate is for 40 amps, and is the maximum the UMC is capable of.

The HPWC is capable of charging at 80 amps if the car has dual chargers, and you have 100 amp service available to the HPWC. This is what will get you 58 mi/hr.*

* both the 29 mi/hr and the 58 mi/hr rate are actually a little lower on some of the performance models. Those numbers were based on the original EPA estimates of the original Model S 85s, I believe.

Reactions: trils0n
Slightly OT: it always bugs me that Tesla doesn't use any of the standard acronyms for their stuff like the rest of the EV market. It just causes confusion it seems like. The Mobile Connector would be an EVSE for any other car manufacturer as would the HPWC. They are just Tesla proprietary EVSEs vs J1772 or chademo, or CCS.

Calling your HPWC EVSE a wall "charger" on other forums will get you corrected as quickly as referring to your Tesla "dealer" here.

/end OT pointless rant.

Can someone with twitter ask a question of Musk for me regarding this subject? Since he seems to be answering all sorts of things, i'd like him to answer if the Tesla Wall Connector will work with the Model 3. I want to assume that it will work with it, but at the same time i dont want to buy it and find out later that they have a separate unit that they are recommending for the 3. My goal is to set up my charging station in the garage before the year is over so that i can take advantage of the tax credit. I e-mailed Tesla but i got a somewhat expected reply:

"Unfortunately, the charging system of the Model 3 has not been released, so I am unable to confirm any of those details at this time."

If anyone has any information or input on the matter or if they could send a tweet at Musk, i would greatly appreciate it. Thanks

Can someone with twitter ask a question of Musk for me regarding this subject? Since he seems to be answering all sorts of things, i'd like him to answer if the Tesla Wall Connector will work with the Model 3. I want to assume that it will work with it, but at the same time i dont want to buy it and find out later that they have a separate unit that they are recommending for the 3. My goal is to set up my charging station in the garage before the year is over so that i can take advantage of the tax credit. I e-mailed Tesla but i got a somewhat expected reply:

"Unfortunately, the charging system of the Model 3 has not been released, so I am unable to confirm any of those details at this time."

If anyone has any information or input on the matter or if they could send a tweet at Musk, i would greatly appreciate it. Thanks
I hate to point out the obvious, but the Superchargers and HPWC connectors are the same. The Model S and Model X have the same charging port to accept the Tesla connector. So, why would Tesla make the Model 3 with anything other than the Tesla proprietary charging port? Sorry if I misunderstood your question.

• Helpful
Reactions: Tree95 and MP3Mike
Slightly OT: it always bugs me that Tesla doesn't use any of the standard acronyms for their stuff like the rest of the EV market. It just causes confusion it seems like. The Mobile Connector would be an EVSE for any other car manufacturer as would the HPWC. They are just Tesla proprietary EVSEs vs J1772 or chademo, or CCS.
Tesla is the EV market so they get to name things in a way that makes sense to the public. Do you think any normal person knows what an EVSE is?