Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Home Charging cost Ontario

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
With the amount of km I put in per week (750km with car pooling), the difference between with or without flat rate delivery fee is negligible.

With delivery (~0.11 per kWh) and without (~0.10 per kWh) the flat rate delivery fee. At the end of the month, it averages out to $2 / 100km like 03DSG.

Reactions: 03DSG
Prior to the car I averaged about 500 kWh/month for the house. When I installed the charge circuit I also installed a dedicated monitor for that circuit. When I calculate charging cost for the car I use the off-peak rate of .065 cents/kWh plus the distribution/regulatory cost ABOVE the amount used by the house. As the majority of the dist/reg cost is covered by the house the amount of the dist/reg above and beyond the house is approximately .023 cents/kWh. So .065 + .023 x 5% gst = .0925 cent/kWh all-in for the car.

To date I have paid $158.96 for 1625 kWh’s for 8,174 km of driving (includes 1 Supercharging session). This works out to $1.95 per 100 km. Dirt cheap.

Replying to myself here but I’m adding that the car has drawn 1,625 kWh since delivery but has used only 1,294 kWh for actual driving according to the lifetime odometer leaving approx 25% used for non-driving use.

• Informative
Reactions: Trevlan006
Replying to myself here but I’m adding that the car has drawn 1,625 kWh since delivery but has used only 1,294 kWh for actual driving according to the lifetime odometer leaving approx 25% used for non-driving use.

Sorry for the newbie question, but how do you find this information? Is it available through the in-vehicle systems or do you use a 3rd party site to gather it?

Sorry for the newbie question, but how do you find this information? Is it available through the in-vehicle systems or do you use a 3rd party site to gather it?

NP. When I had the charger circuit installed I bought a WiFi electrical circuit monitoring device. Similar to having a dedicated meter on that circuit. I have it hooked up only to the charger circuit and it tracks exactly how much that particular circuit uses. So between that circuit and the estimated kWh from a supercharging session equaled 1,625 kWh drawn by the car. I can tell what the car has used for actual driving by looking at the 2’nd trip meter which I have not reset since new. The device I purchased is:

http://eyedro.com/home-solutions/

A2BCC86A-6FA9-4DBC-93C0-0753A5B41111.jpeg

Reactions: 5_+JqckQttqck

If you're renamed Trip B to "Lifetime" and never delete/reset the information. It will give you the KM driven for Trip B and the kW used along with Wh/km.

I use the old school way of getting kW from charger. Keeping a log :rolleyes:

Thanks for the link 03DSG, that's an interesting looking device.

If you're renamed Trip B to "Lifetime" and never delete/reset the information. It will give you the KM driven for Trip B and the kW used along with Wh/km.

Thanks, that's very helpful. I did a reset of both A and B trips when I got the Model 3 (and haven't reset since), so I'll set aside Trip B for this purpose and that should do it. I am planning to keep a log, I just need to figure out where to get the relevant data.

With the amount of km I put in per week (750km with car pooling), the difference between with or without flat rate delivery fee is negligible.

With delivery (~0.11 per kWh) and without (~0.10 per kWh) the flat rate delivery fee. At the end of the month, it averages out to $2 / 100km like 03DSG.

During supercharging if you get 61KW/hour the charge is 40cents per minute in Ontario. That works out to about 40cents per KWH. That is about $8 per 100KM. or the same as an ICE car getting 8L per 100KM. Getting pretty close in price if you don't have paid supercharging.

• Disagree
Reactions: Trevlan006
During supercharging if you get 61KW/hour the charge is 40cents per minute in Ontario. That works out to about 40cents per KWH. That is about $8 per 100KM. or the same as an ICE car getting 8L per 100KM. Getting pretty close in price if you don't have paid supercharging.

Unless you get 115 kW/Hr at .40/minute. Or 59 kW/Hr at .20/minute. Interesting, but not unexpected at all, that you would use the absolute worse case scenerio.

Reactions: bijan and X.l.r.8

The few times I've used the Super Chargers, they've always been about 1/2 the price of equivalent km in Gasoline for a 2017 Honda Civic.
And this is charging at 40c / minute at Sherway Gardens. There's usually a White Model X there when I arrive in the morning :3

As the majority of the dist/reg cost is covered by the house ...

Not exactly sure what you mean by that. With the exception of your Monthly Service Charge, Smart Metering Entity Charge and SSS Admin Fee, all of the Distribution and Regulatory rate components are volumetric (i.e. priced per kWh)

That's about right. The car's gauge records energy coming out of the main battery pack only when the car is "on". It does not account for charging losses and standby losses, nor does it account for any power drawn when pre-heating/cooling.

Reactions: adaptabl

Once all these new carbon taxes are in place (and going up every year) what is the incentive to invest so heavily in a new car if the end result costs me the same?
When it reaches $50 tonne forget it. I do all I can to reduce the power bill now.

Once all these new carbon taxes are in place (and going up every year) what is the incentive to invest so heavily in a new car if the end result costs me the same?
Those numbers are pretty much a worst case scenario that assume all your charging is done at Superchargers, which would normally never be the case assuming you can charge at home in the evenings. Supercharging is intended to be used on road trips or long drives, it's not supposed to be your day to day charging method. Even then it's still a lot cheaper than gas.

Based on experience, the cost to charge my Model 3 at home in Ontario during off-peak hours (after 7pm or on weekends) is about 10 cents per kWh (including taxes, distribution, and fees), meaning that a charge from 0% to 100% would cost me around $10 (including efficiency losses) for 499Km of range. At home charging adds about 50Km per hour to the battery.

Name me a ICE vehicle that you can fully gas up for under $10 these days.

Those numbers are pretty much a worst case scenario that assume all your charging is done at Superchargers, which would normally never be the case assuming you can charge at home in the evenings. Supercharging is intended to be used on road trips or long drives, it's not supposed to be your day to day charging method. Even then it's still a lot cheaper than gas.

Based on experience, the cost to charge my Model 3 at home in Ontario during off-peak hours (after 7pm or on weekends) is about 10 cents per kWh (including taxes, distribution, and fees), meaning that a charge from 0% to 100% would cost me around $10 (including efficiency losses) for 499Km of range. At home charging adds about 50Km per hour to the battery.

Name me a ICE vehicle that you can fully gas up for under $10 these days.

I know. But it is -29 outside right now and I am really wondering about how much extra electricity the car is going to use. Our power is all from coal so it's not like I'm saving the planet. I may start a separate thread for the SK guys that are on this forum.

Reactions: adaptabl
I know. But it is -29 outside right now and I am really wondering about how much extra electricity the car is going to use. Our power is all from coal so it's not like I'm saving the planet. I may start a separate thread for the SK guys that are on this forum.

I think the heater is 6 or 7 kW at full blast might be higher. While car is 150Wh/km. So at 100km/h you'd get 15kWh of regular use plus 7kWh of heating. Though in my experience at less cold temperatures efficiency is closer to 50 or 60%. I'm guessing there's some extra load on the motors used to heat the battery that has to be accounted for and also on auto climate the AC is on for defog so that's a kW or so. From your experience does efficiency ever drop below 50% in highway driving? I read somewhere that 50% is as bad as it gets at minus twenty something. I'm guessing that's when heating is maxed out and car just won't get warm enough if it gets any colder.

I know. But it is -29 outside right now and I am really wondering about how much extra electricity the car is going to use.

If you're talking about the Model 3, I'd be curious too, since it utilizes a different motor and mechanism for heating.

With the Model S (5 years experience) and X ( almost 1 year), I have found long winter road trips.... even down to -30 C... do not use a whole lot more than ideal summer conditions. Maybe 25% more. Around the freezing mark, my efficiency on long trips is the same as summer. Now on short trips to the store and back, yeah, like 100% higher or more. I think this is because once you get over the initial hump of getting the cabin and systems all warmed up, it doesn't take much to keep it warmed up.

• Informative
Reactions: Falkirk