Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Home charging issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys

having a few issues with home charging for my M3 LR, I have a pod point 7kw charger, plugged in to charge this morning and getting 32A charging (30 mph), then noticed on the app that charging had slowed down to 16A (15 mph). I stopped charge and started again had a few ‘charging stopped’ messages and then third attempt it started again at 32A but after 10 mins dropped to 16A again, despite me setting the car to a max 32A charge on the car it is now saying on the app ‘16/16A’ ….anyone had any similar issues? - sorry for the quite long rambly message ha

thanks
Oli

There's a clip on your mains supply that monitors the overall house usage and limits if necessary (IIRC). Check that is on properly. I had mine come loose and it would only charge for 10-15 minutes before cutting off. Might not be the same issue you are having, but takes two minutes to check.

I presume that it has worked before and this is new behaviour?

There's a clip on your mains supply that monitors the overall house usage and limits if necessary (IIRC). Check that is on properly. I had mine come loose and it would only charge for 10-15 minutes before cutting off. Might not be the same issue you are having, but takes two minutes to check.

I presume that it has worked before and this is new behaviour?
Cheers - had a check and seems to be on ok, it’s happened twice now in a couple of weeks, could just be an anomaly but a bit annoying!

My podpoint was installed incorrectly. The clip that measures usage was put around the wrong cable so the pod point was reducing the power for safety. I called them out and they fixed it immediately. I’d recommend the same.

The car is designed to drop the charge level from 32 to 16amp if it thinks the supply is unstable. There was a bug a while back that led to it happening for everyone all the time. The bug is fixed unless you have year old software but the feature still exists so it suggests your car thinks the voltage is fluctuating so either it is or the car is at fault.
ideally try the car on another charger and another car on the charger to figure out where the problem is.

Edit:
though if it is saying 16/16 as in your post not 16/32 that suggests it might be the charger limiting the supply but not quite sure what the car reports when it safety limits it

though if it is saying 16/16 as in your post not 16/32 that suggests it might be the charger limiting the supply but not quite sure what the car reports when it safety limits it

Yes, that's a key point. The 16/16 is showing that the charge point is doing the limiting. If the car is doing the limiting it will show 16/32 ... (I would also expect the car to flag up a warning on screen that the rate has been limited but can't be sure that would show in all instances.)

Are you running something like TeslaFi? That will give you a log of the pod points current offering and the supply voltage.

You don't mention your supply details as that may affect supply voltage which in turn is what the car uses to determine the stability of the supply.

Yes, that's a key point. The 16/16 is showing that the charge point is doing the limiting. If the car is doing the limiting it will show 16/32 ... (I would also expect the car to flag up a warning on screen that the rate has been limited but can't be sure that would show in all instances.)
I am not sure there is any sort of warning but I think you are right none the less. It is the charger not the car doing the limiting in this case

Weirdly I have just checked my app and it’s gone back to 30/30 now…I’m guessing as you guys mentioned it must be the supply rather than the car due to showing as 16/16 before -images below of 2 checks I have done

0D930D56-54D1-4498-A67E-2DA9DBBA2BC9.png

Attachments

• F58ADB92-E6E3-49C9-B96A-A3877116E690.png
    F58ADB92-E6E3-49C9-B96A-A3877116E690.png
    529.3 KB · Views: 56
Weirdly I have just checked my app and it’s gone back to 30/30 now…I’m guessing as you guys mentioned it must be the supply rather than the car due to showing as 16/16 before -images below of 2 checks I have done

View attachment 673901
in the numbers say the number on the left is the actual current the one on the right is the max current offered by the charger so when it says 16/16 that means that the charger is offering 16a and the car is taking all it is offered. if it said 16/32 that would mean the charger is offering 32 but the car is only accepting 16. so in your case the charger is the limiting factor not the car

Reactions: OliLondon
in the numbers say the number on the left is the actual current the one on the right is the max current offered by the charger so when it says 16/16 that means that the charger is offering 16a and the car is taking all it is offered. if it said 16/32 that would mean the charger is offering 32 but the car is only accepting 16. so in your case the charger is the limiting factor not the car
Thanks Jason - Appreciate that :) - will see how i get along and give podpoint a call if it keeps happening

I used to get this regularly - the electric shower was the usual culprit..... or the dishwasher and washing machine cycling at the same time.

I failed miserably to educate the family in the art of load balancing 😞
Ah good point - I have a very “electric happy” wife who does enjoy using multiple appliances at once as well as a son who constantly requires Peppa pig on as well as nursery rhymes on the Sonos in every room much to my annoyance 😂😂 -
I will try to educate her, but I’m not sure she’s too worried about learning as she doesn’t pay the bills ha

• Funny
Reactions: Jez_GB
Ah good point - I have a very “electric happy” wife who does enjoy using multiple appliances at once as well as a son who constantly requires Peppa pig on as well as nursery rhymes on the Sonos in every room much to my annoyance 😂😂 -
I will try to educate her, but I’m not sure she’s too worried about learning as she doesn’t pay the bills ha
Use scheduled charging to charge during the night when household demand is lower. This way you can also take advantage of the EV friendly tariffs with the likes of Octopus Energy. That way it costs you less than a third of the price.

So the PodPoint load sheds when your overall house demand hits a set limit to stop you drawing too much from the supply (and popping the DNO’s fuse). AFAIK the limit can be changed based on the size of your supply. Worth seeing if A) the PodPoint is shedding at the right level of demand; B) will the DNO swap / up rate your fuse.

Been married 44 years and my Mrs still hasn’t grasped that light switches have an off position too :mad:

• Funny
Reactions: Jez_GB and bctomuk
Interesting: I have a SyncEV charger and it simply has a cable from a dedicated type B 40A Circuit Breaker in the Consumer Unit, no clip to measure usage on the main cable. The unit has its own Type A RCD built in with DC protection and has circuitry that eliminates the need for a separate earthing rod (it says).
I did have one problem when the Sync unit timer was stopping charging as I hadn't set a charging time period, intended for using low cost power at night (I don't have this yet).

And now, after a month and a few days, the SyncEV has stopped talking to the car.
The car and the Tesla supplied cable work perfectly with the POD charger at Tesco.
The Granny Charger works perfectly at home.
Connect the SyncEV to the car and the car doesn't "see" the charger.
I am not at all amused.
Email sent to Sync and the installer, Future Charging Solutions.
I'll keep the group informed.

Final thought: Why did I pay almost £500 when I could have simply fitted a Commando Socket for £50.00 plus a suitable RCD Breaker ??