Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Home charging options

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well I'm shocked an disappointed to say that my landlord has declined permission to install a charger so it looks like I won't be ordering a M3P unfortunately. My only other option is asking my in laws if I could fit a charger at their house but this is over a mile away and I really don't know if it would be worth the additional stress and time dropping the Tesla off to charge it every day :(

That's bonkers. Did they give any reason why they didn't want you to install one? I can't get my head around it - it's a no brainer for the landlord.

Time to move? ;)

That's bonkers. Did they give any reason why they didn't want you to install one? I can't get my head around it - it's a no brainer for the landlord.

Time to move? ;)

The letting agent didn't give a reason, I have asked but not had a response as yet. Funnily enough the wife thinks it's because they will give us notice when the contract is up!

Well I'm shocked an disappointed to say that my landlord has declined permission to install a charger so it looks like I won't be ordering a M3P unfortunately. My only other option is asking my in laws if I could fit a charger at their house but this is over a mile away and I really don't know if it would be worth the additional stress and time dropping the Tesla off to charge it every day :(

Gutted to hear this - it's appalling. Have you got a friendly neighbour? I would be happy to charge somebody else's car (as soon as I pull finger and choose a charger) if they lived / worked nearby and put some money in my electricity jar...

Many hoops and Walmington-on-Sea customer service - don't panic!

Reactions: Roy W. and m3gt2
Has anyone had any luck getting their council to install one ?
I live in a little village but there’s a small space in our village centre where I’m thinking of trying to get them to install one. That place gets full though on a normal day so it would probably be ICE’d when I need to charge lol

If you have a place of work that is suitable could work install a charger? I believe the P11d part of charging at work was scrapped as a 'benefit' - total luxury being able to head home after work.
I’m Locuming so self employed, but not quite limited company as I only do it part time (other half is uni ). Not sure if I would get any benefits at home as a sole trader, but my main issue is not aware if I can even install one at home.
Sometimes I work in supermarkets so I’m hoping they will install one! (Sainsbury’s in Guildford area if anyone wants to join forces and try to convince them !)

My local supermarket had chargers in the basement but they were taken out years ago - they probably had Project Fear put on them by the incumbents that an electric vehicle would cause a drop in trade.

At some point: FSD heads off and charges somewhere else once you are dropped off at home. If Dyson can get his autonomous surface sucker to do it surely Elon can get the car to shuffle off and do it. It will happen in the future, just not quite yet.

Dream charger Wireless charging upgrade now available for Tesla Model S if it was open source and hackable and within budget.. Summon car from Charger, none of this fiddling with cables ;)

I recon it's because he doesn't want to maintain the equipment. Because if it breaks the tenant could ask him to fix it. Same as everything else. There is zero benefit to him.

I don't agree with that, I offered to pay all install costs and either leave it when we vacated thus adding to the let-ability or saleable, or cover costs to remove it at put right and damage caused by the install.

Reactions: Roy W.
If it were me I could not resist in tapping up the in laws option if they are only a mile away. Depending on your commute you may only need to charge it a couple of times per week so if they are only a mile away I’d look at that. As others have said the landlord may be looking to do other things and could be doing you a favour with declining.

Reactions: m3gt2 and ediflyer
I don't agree with that, I offered to pay all install costs and either leave it when we vacated thus adding to the let-ability or saleable, or cover costs to remove it at put right and damage caused by the install.

Just a guess..

Could be all sorts of reasons. Seen landlords get fussy about tenants trimming gardens or planting rose bushes...Could be they just didn't want to discuss it/ got caught by the agent when on holiday and just shot it down out of hand.

Maybe you can talk to them in person, or at least on the phone?

Reactions: m3gt2
(side note - I've heard rumblings that you shouldn't always just granny change, not an issue as I'm not far from a rapid CCS and a supercharger, but still - is this true?)

Apologies if someone has already mentioned this, I'm just catching up with this thread... but Dr Euan McTurk is a great resource for battery and charging knowledge. He has a youtube channel called Plug Life Television and is all over twitter (@106euan) with his red pen, correcting false claims in the media.

Reactions: ProfessorK
If it were me I could not resist in tapping up the in laws option if they are only a mile away. Depending on your commute you may only need to charge it a couple of times per week so if they are only a mile away I’d look at that. As others have said the landlord may be looking to do other things and could be doing you a favour with declining.

Unfortunately it could need a charge or 2 a day :eek:

Could you get the council to provide a lamp post charging arrangement in your street? What about workplace charging?

Unfortunately being a private hire/chauffeur the car is my work.

My understanding is that you can get a grant for a 2nd charger if you have a 2nd EV in the household. I believe you need load balancing between them if you want to use them at the same time - I think some like the Tesla charger and the Zappi support this, but haven't heard about it as much for other makes.
Quite a few do. Column O of my sheet covers it EVSE Options the main challenge is not all charger manufactures document it well.
FYI if you have space capacity you could just put the 2nd charger on a fresh 32A feed. Entirely possible if you have a 100A fuse and no other main large loads in the property.

Unfortunately it could need a charge or 2 a day :eek:

Unfortunately being a private hire/chauffeur the car is my work.

See if they will go with a 32A Commando (or 16A at a push) socket. Bit more palatable. The 32A Commando adaptor for the UMC 2 is about £34 I've heard. Though the UMC 2 isn't as good as a dedicated charger it'll do at a push.

(In the US a lot of people just have a UMC and NEMA plugs that go to 30A/50A)

Reactions: m3gt2