Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Home charging options

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@RjbT3 Thinking of getting the Rolec charger - do you know if you can schedule charge times? I've tried looking on the Rolec site and it's not the easiest to navigate!
I don't know. I did ask the engineer who installed it what the "smart" functions were and he did mention access to EV charging tariffs at off-peak times. Also that it comes with an app to help schedule timings. However, I haven't had a chance to use it yet because my Tesla is still in Fremont apparently!

Reactions: Roy W.
I don't know. I did ask the engineer who installed it what the "smart" functions were and he did mention access to EV charging tariffs at off-peak times. Also that it comes with an app to help schedule timings. However, I haven't had a chance to use it yet because my Tesla is still in Fremont apparently!

Found this app that's used with Rolec, let's you have a little play in demo mode. Looks half decent and seems to have a 'smart charge' that starts at off peak times (I think).

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=energy.ev.app

Reactions: Keeper
@Mcraciun - there is hope. Zappis clearly grow in shrubberies:

Screen Shot 2019-08-07 at 21.29.56.png

Decent cable to the nearest convenient flower bed - hammer in a met-post & fence post, Zappi has 2 screws aligned vertically, you're done?

<Insert Green Energy quip here>

I don't know about the bushes but some chargers do give a "Steel post" option - only £245 + VAT extra ... :eek:
I have emailed a couple of "trust a trader" electricians as they are local and they can come have a look and tell me what can be done

Leicester here! *Bumps Fist* :)

I'm keeping my ear out for the Supercharger at Leicester Forest East to happen, if it does! (Ecotricity there also).

Leicester also lacks in infrastructure so home charge for me over the pavement and at work but will use the following if needed:
Also free charging at Highcross Rooftop car park (Polar Network app needed)

Castle Donnington services junction 23a (Ecotricity)
Leicester Forest East services (North & South) Ecotricity
Another Leicester on here. :cool:

We have a good few Fast (7kW) options round the city but we have no CCS apart from Ecotricity at the Services. In fact the nearest I could see is a 22kW CCS charger in Melton PlugShare - Find Electric Vehicle Charging Locations Near You

Reactions: davidmc and m3gt2
Until rollout starting today, there were very few on the road - if numbers are to believed (im not sure I do), today alone will have nearly doubled the number of Model 3's on UK roads.

Weren't there supposed to be 300 before, of which probably 250 were in private hands (i.e. not in Tesla service centres)? I think only a couple of delivery centres were running yesterday, I'd be surprised if there were more than 150 deliveries.

Caution - Sparks look away now!

Think I mentioned my inherited commando plug, here's a pic:

GoingCommando.PNG

This shameful omnishambles has now all been disconnected, fortunately the rest of the house seems to have been wired by somebody competent.

The black cable to the left is armoured and is not terminated and just rests there conductors exposed -I eventually located the other end in a bush 20M away next to a public footpath.

White cable is another not terminated affair, other end coiled in ceiling near distribution board.

Smaller coloured conductors go into the armoured cable heading out of wall box, I believe they terminate in a hedge and in a flower bed.

Adding insult to injury there's no strain relief on the plug as the cable is too thick for the gripper to be fitted plus the commando socket is free to swing and not secured.

o_O

Being quoted for installation of EV charger. Will need to run to the bottom of my garden where I park so additional costs (eg 50m wiring). Being quoted circa £600 for install plus the Growatt charger.

“I have looked at the difference in cost for both the EV and the EO compared with the Growatt. There would be approximately £300 extra in the cost for each of these units. I have added the Models below. We are also the Eco supply partner for Schneider Electric and install their units quite a lot commercially. This would be our premium brand but a home charging station would cost at least an additional £400 and it does not come with a mobile app. We also supply EC but they do not manufacture home charging units (only commercial).

Please note the EV Box Elvi is a tethered unit. Although the cost of these units are greater, there is honestly not much difference regarding the specifications. All units are smart and come with wifi and mobile app. To date we have had no issues with the Growatt unit and we have installed quite a lot of them as they allow us to be competitive in the market.

There are other units out there around the same price as Growatt, e.g. Rolec, Chargemaster and Podpoint would be of similar cost but that is for their 3.7kW models. They charge an extra £100 for the 7.4Kw

EOMINI-PRO Model Name: EO Mini PRO up to 7.2kw 1ph socket with WIFI connection

EV Box - Elvi Model Name: Elvi 7.4kW wall mounted tethered unit with WIFI connection”

Anyone my knowledge on the growatt ??

Please forgive me if I have overlooked something obvious in this very long thread and very busy forum, but...

Where, in the UK, can I actually buy the Tesla home charger (with the longer cable)?

In the US you get them from the web store, but there isn't one for the UK. The Tesla site says you can get them from the service centres, but my nearest one is more than an hour's drive away, with no phone number that I can find to check they actually have one in stock before I go. (I'm in Loughborough, not far from the Coalville and Leicester posters from the previous page!)

Seems weird that this is even a question I need to ask. I'm looking to get my Model 3 in October, but I'm hardly going to buy a car I can't charge. I've contacted an electrician to get an installation quote, but they can't do anything without me buying the charger. It's baffling to me that there's nothing on the Tesla site to say "oh you're thinking of ordering your car? Get the charger first, click here!". This should be the second-easiest thing to do, and instead I'm lost.

Crazy question - but if you don't ask ...
My question is: would the above suppliers refuse to install the device given the fact that I am not a Freehold owner?
Thanks

The suppliers won't know unless you tell them! I seriously doubt they are going to check your home ownership documents. However, it will be you who has to take the responsibility for what they do. So you must be prepared to take the risk of a falling out with the leaseholder.

Welcome to the madhouse @BittermanAndy

Where, in the UK, can I actually buy the Tesla home charger (with the longer cable)?

I’d recommend sending an email to

[email protected]

Include your RN number if you have one, phone number and delivery address. They’ll email / call you back for payment / discussion about the part.

I’ve ordered a part yesterday via this method and from email being sent to dispatch notice email from TNT was 30 minutes including Tesla calling me for payment. Hopefully they’ll sort you out. Good luck :)