Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Home Charging Setup

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just curious, how does a "supply side" work? Is it actually tied on the other side of the meter or between your main breaker and the utility meter? If its the former, you wouldn't be able to measure how much power you are sending back to the grid, so I'm guessing its just on the other side of your main panels breaker so you can't overload your main?
Between the main breaker and the meter. It has to be on the "inside" of the meter in order to measure the excess power you push out to the grid. Many systems will have an additional meter between the inverter and the grid connection point, to measure total solar production (regardless of where the power goes)

I've seen it done twice. Once used some sort of insulation piercing vampire taps on the main feeder wires, just inside the main panel, a couple of inches before the main breaker. The second added a large junction box 2 feet before the main panel where the original feeder, new cable to main, and inverter output wires were all spliced together in the box using Polaris connectors.

Just curious, how does a "supply side" work? Is it actually tied on the other side of the meter or between your main breaker and the utility meter? If its the former, you wouldn't be able to measure how much power you are sending back to the grid, so I'm guessing its just on the other side of your main panels breaker so you can't overload your main?
@tga covered the location--between meter and main panel. Our meter is on the outside wall of the garage, and then went through to the inside, where our main panel is. They put the box on the outside wall of the garage also, where all of the lines from the solar microinverters go. And the utility had to replace our old traditional meter with a net meter to track the input and output.