Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Home Charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey everyone,

I was wondering what the best option is for home charging. I ordered my Model 3 on 11/21. I was not expecting to get it until late December. I was out of the country on vacation last week and I got a call saying it was ready. (wtf). So as soon as I landed yesterday I had to get everything together to get it delivered tonight. That being said, I had no time to even look into home charging options. I requested an install quote from Tesla right after I ordered and they never responded.

My questions are:
1) How much should I expect this to cost (roughly) ?
2) Is it more cost effective to go with Tesla install and get the free charger or buy it outright and get an electrician to install?

I appreciate the help!

Asking "how much should a home charger install cost" is sort of like asking "how much is it to remodel my kitchen"? The answer is "it depends".

It depends on the state of your electrical panel, how much power you have coming in to the house and what has to be done... as in

Do they have to upgrade your whole panel?
How far away from the panel do you want / need the connection?
Do you even have enough power coming in to support your desired installation?
Do you have an existing plug you could use (dryer plug in the desired charging area?
etc etc

You should approach this like you would any other home improvement (as unfortunately time consuming as that might be to consider). Get a couple quotes etc.

You can get any electrician to install the appropriate plug, but what that will cost can vary considerably just like any other home work. I dont think tesla does installs in california itself, they have recommended electricians. I got 3 quotes for my setup, and decided to go with the one who is the tesla recommended one. That particular electrician company pulls the appropriate permits, does an electrical calculation etc. All that costs a bit more than having an electrician just install a plug.... but I wanted permits etc in case they were required for rebates (and in case there was ever a problem with the plug or the car, I could prove I had the appropriate electrical infrastructure.

With ALL that being said, at the tesla store the number they were providing for reference was "800 to 1200".. but in my case its less because of where the my panel is (right on the outside of my garage, and on the same wall that I want the charger), the length of run (about 3-4 feet) and the fact that I already have 200 amp service to my home with room in my panel.

Cheapest option:
Use the UMC that comes with the car and plug it into a 110V outlet. Cost: $0. Charging speed about 3 to 4 miles per hour. Probably okay if you only drive about 30 miles a day and you charge your car overnight.

Faster charging/ Next Cheapest
Use your house existing dryer outlet and buy an adapter ($35) for the UMC that comes with your car. Cost: $35. Charging speed about 22 miles per hour. You need have a working dryer outlet close to your car.

Even Faster charging/Getting Expansive
Install NEMA 14-50 outlet and use the UMC that comes with your car. Cost: $200+ if you hire an electrician. Just to come out it would be $100 and I don't think you could get away with under $200. The cost could go up quite fast if you need new panel or if the outlet is very far away from the panel. It will charge your car at about 30 miles per hour at 32amp.

Luxury charging with Wall Connector
It will charge your car at max charging rate of 48 amp. But the WC would cost $500 + sales tax. And then you have to hire an electrician to install it (probably cost more than the NEMA 14-50 install). My guess the total cost would be $900 minimum.

Another option if you don't have a dryer nearby, and you have a dedicated garage outlet. An electrician could convert the 120 outlet to a 240v Nema 6-15 or 6-20 with only the cost of the visit, outlet, and a new breaker. That conversion plus the $35 adapter can get you 11-15 mph of charge. I would estimate <$200, with most of that being the cost of just getting the electrician there.

Model S/X/3 Gen 2 NEMA Adapters

Reactions: linkster
If you ordered the Model 3 MidRange than the On Board Charger is limited to 240V at 32-Amps (continuous) therefore the Max Circuit input would be 40-Amps peak/32-Amps continuous. This should be more than enough to get a strong charge overnight. Your Mobile Connector that comes with the car would work well. You would just need an appropriate outlet (with 40Amp circuit) to connect into.

The Electrical panel in your home would need to be able to accommodate a 240Volt/ 40-Amp circuit breaker and you would want to have sufficient gauge cable running from the panel circuit breaker to the outlet. Most likely it would be a NEMA 14-50 Outlet - these are the standard for 50 Amp circuits but they will work - I'm not familiar with a 40 Amp NEMA connector.

If you panel can accommodate more amps then it can make sense to add more for the future but he Model 3 MidRange can only use 40Amps maximum.