Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Home Charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That is a MUCH MUCH nicer set up than any of the others I have seen so far. I guess the electrician was able to run all the cables behind the cable so it looks nice and tidy instead of an industrial looking installation. I'm guessing a lot of people though just have bricks in their garage so this wouldn't work.

Thanks djayz, I am very happy with it.

Yes, all the cabling is behind in the wall and roof cavities. Some time was spent in the ceiling cavity of the house by my electrician and the power point to the right is covering an exploratory hole in the wall, but sometimes there is an advantage to the different method of house construction prevalent on the Gold Coast compared to the southern capitals.

It looks sensational at night with the green light. Looks like there is a Cylon sentry stationed in my car port.

If anyone is interested - based on some reasonably reliable modelling over the past couple of weeks, I conservatively estimate that my running costs for the Model S from home charging will be around $0.057 per km using 100% green power, no solar. Currently, even using my relatively fuel efficient Peugeot (admittedly I drive it with a lead foot), it costs me around $0.229 per km. That's around 1/4 of the cost. I'm pretty happy needless to say!!

If anyone is interested - based on some reasonably reliable modelling over the past couple of weeks, I conservatively estimate that my running costs for the Model S from home charging will be around $0.057 per km using 100% green power, no solar. Currently, even using my relatively fuel efficient Peugeot (admittedly I drive it with a lead foot), it costs me around $0.229 per km. That's around 1/4 of the cost. I'm pretty happy needless to say!!

Thanks Tim, I gave up calculating the cost of the RX8 per km......pretty horrible but then I don't do many kms. I don't get much change from $100 when I fill the not so big tank.

The Tesla site (Canadian version) has a calculator that I have played with - the reason for using the Canadian version is it is in our language (km).

Setting it for 10km and 25 c/kwh (Green power from Powershop will be slightly cheaper) = 52 cents so very much line ball with Tim's calculations. Good to know that the Tesla site is not too optimistic!

What was good about the Tesla calculator was that it included a factor for (in)efficiency - if you rotate the kms to 480 the energy used is calculated at 99.4 kwh - and the cost for a 'full tank' at 25 c/kwh is $24.84.

http://www.teslamotors.com/en_CA/charging#/calculator

Cheers
David

Just noted - this is my 100 post - I wonder how many more until the Tesla arrives?

Last edited:
Thanks for the tip on the Canadian calculator. It was useful to confirm some of my previous guesstimates.

I am hoping to be able to run my Model S on 100% Queensland sunshine. It is going to be a personal goal to see if it can be done.

I have a solar installation that for around 9 months of the year produces about 1.5 - 2kw of excess generation for about 7 hours a day and for 3 months of the year about 1-1.5kw for about 4 hours a day (average).

If I set it so the charging only takes place during these peak generation times and if I limit the charging rate to 1.5kw for example I will be easily able to top up the previous days usual usage during 9 months of the year and should even be able to manage it most days during winter too.

I only get a feed in tariff of 8c/kwh now in Queensland so I would rather use the excess to charge the car than let the utility have it for that price. This gives me a 'cost' of 2.2c/km according to the calculator. Another way of looking at this is that I should be able to run the Model S for about $200 worth of sacrificed feed-in per year.

This compares with a fuel spend of around $2500 per year on the car it is replacing.

i just did a calculation for my ML63 and it turned out to be $20 per km :). Bring on the Tesla.

(Actually I then just did a real rough calculation and if you factor in depreciation it is about $2.80 per km. :-( . Bring on the Tesla even more).

Just the basic fuel costs: average roughly 18c per km on the Prado at today's diesel prices depending on how much the wife idles with the air-con on. Allowing for 8% loss on charging off-peak and the nominal mileage of the P85, 2.8c per km so about 15% the cost. Working on 20,000 km a year which would be about right based on my Prado mileage (though that's had a few long trips not currently possible with the Tesla) that's a saving of about $3000 on fuel per year. The fact that I am also on a 48.8c feed-in tariff vs 15.1c off-peak from the grid and the outlay on my PV system will most likely have paid for itself by the time the first production Model S means that for about 10 months of the year for five years I would be getting paid while I charge rather than parting with money for diesel. Then hopefully they will have developed some cheap batteries for me for storing my excess solar.

- - - Updated - - -

Hi Mike do you mean $0.20 per km? Surely not $20 a km, otherwise you'd be paying $2000 for 100km haha :D
I got the impression he was factoring in the cost of the vehicle and then what he was able to write off against tax ?

Haven't done that for the Prado. Just as well they've done away with most of the FBT benefits on leasing vehicles, the running costs on the Tesla are too low with basic servicing once a year and tires maybe every two with the standard 19"

Know the feeling - three months to go on 11% interest loan on the Prado all because I had a clapped out HJ60, a new kid and the government allowed me to depreciate 50% in the first year, what was I thinking? Should have bought second hand and put the rest of the money on Tesla shares (had I not missed the memo they had listed).

But the car has also been a heap of fun and taken me up and down the west coast and where it was fortunate to have a 4WD still under warranty. Fortunately the actual value of mine has probably only depreciated by about 30% but I've paid about 38% on top of the original value of the car in total interest over five years. Ah well - will probably just end up doing the same with the Tesla only at hopefully about half the interest rate.

- - - Updated - - -

Volkswagen tying up with SunPower to power their e-Golf via solar in US

http://cleantechnica.com/2014/08/06/solar-powered-volkswagen-e-golf-lands-us-shores/