Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Home delivery versus Service Center

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Getting this thread back on track... I had originally opted for a Home Delivery. I live about 50 miles from my Service Center. This afternoon, the DES from the Chicago Service Center said that if I wanted to just come in and pick up the car, I could get it as early as Thursday. I weighed my options of the cool-ness factor of having a home delivery against the cool-ness factor of having the car a few days earlier, and it took about .03 seconds to decide a winner.

Now I just have to find a ride to Chicago, as my wife is petrified of driving in the city. #firstworldproblems

So bummed Virginia seems to have no incentives for EVs. :-( I get to pay sales tax (albeit only 3%) but then 4% personal property tax annually.

I'm right there with you. I can live with the sales tax. It's the personal property tax that pisses me off.

I looked into creating an LLC in a different and holding the car in trust, but it's a pain.

Look up Alaska vehicle trust. Or Montana.

A

Sales Tax: Suggest getting written statement from your County Clerk re $ales Tax. Listening to rumors can prove costly!

Property Tax: But Property Taxes paid are deductible on your Federal Income Tax (any taxes based on Value as opposed to Weight, etc). So why jump thru hoops here?
--

I'm doing the pickup at the Tesla store. This way, ownership of the vehicle stays with Tesla until I inspect, drive and accept the vehicle, completing the paperwork and paying at that time. As per the MVPA, if Tesla ships the vehicle via a common carrier to you, ownership and title transfers from Tesla to you at the time the vehicle is loaded on the common carrier.".

To be clear, this does not apply when they deliver it to their service center/store and then bring it out to your house on a flatbed. As Tesla has explained this to me, this only applies when you live a long distance from a service center/store and they have to ship via "common carrier" as mentioned. Anyone who lives within a reasonable radius of a Tesla location shouldn't have this issue--ownership transfers when they deliver it to you.

To be clear, this does not apply when they deliver it to their service center/store and then bring it out to your house on a flatbed. Anyone who lives within a reasonable radius of a Tesla location shouldn't have this issue--ownership transfers when they deliver it to you.

Good to know. So, if I may repeat what you are saying, if the DS brings the MS out on a flat bed to your home, TM still owns the car until you accept delivery at your home?????

i am 35 miles from the DC store/service center, and i have chosen to pick up there.

they said it would probably be a couple days quicker than home delivery, and you'll leave with the car detailed, fully charged, and completely inspected.

i'll also avoid the scene of an 18-wheeler coming down my residential street and backing a $100k car in front of my house. that's not the attention i'm lookin for...
Not another customer living in a trailer park? :scared:

- - - Updated - - -

When I pick up my MS at the Chicago SC, what form of payment do they want???? Cash? ;-)
Do you have a window yet, montgom626? I am picking up there to. End of window Feb 10.
I am bringing quarters.

Do you have a window yet, montgom626? I am picking up there to. End of window Feb 10.
I am bringing quarters.

No window yet. I heading to Arizona on vacation and will see a non-pano roof in the flesh before I finalize NLT 2/14. Also, I am visiting a Arizona MS owner in the area to see his MS.

I would like to pay with 100 dollar bills. Quarters might be a bit too much for me to carry. ;-)

It is too simple to say that you pay taxes where you pick it up, or you pay taxes where you register the car. It varies state to state. In California, a non-resident buying a car in CA (CA pick up) must pay CA taxes. Because of this, you will frequently see car dealerships in CA ship the car to NV and have the buyer pick the car up there. Many states will reduce the tax owed in the registration state if you can prove you paid sales tax in the state in which you purchased the vehicle. If the tax that you paid is less than the tax due in your registration state, the registration state (typically your home state) will collect the difference.

Some states (read: not CA) will exempt out of state purchasers and give them a 7/10-day "drive off" permit to legally the drive the car out of the state.

Bottom line: You need to look up the rules for your home state. California is not non-resident friendly.

Edit: Additional info - there are typically clauses that say that a car that is registered/resides in a different state for less than 12 months is not exempt from sales tax in the second registration state. For example, if you try to register your car in a state that has no sales tax for EVs, and then immediately re-register the car in a different state, you will still owe taxes. My guess is the tax would be prorated for the duration it was registered in the other state, up to 12 months. So if you want to register your car in an EV friendly state and keep it there for 12 months you can probably get around sales tax. Keep in mind that almost every state has a rule that any car being garaged and/or used in the state for more than x days (typically 30) must be registered with that state.

Wow. Ok. 2 things. 1) I live in Southern NJ. No EV sales tax. I opted for the pickup at the Philly service center (PA). I'm almost positive that I will not have to pay PA taxes as I will be registering the car in NJ. Can anyone confirm this? (otherwise I need to change to home delivery!). I'm pretty sure this is ok. But not sure if it's different bc I won't actually be paying any sales tax at all.

Second, I actually plan on moving to NY in the summer. Where did you hear about that 12 month rule? I never heard of that! That could be an issue....

Update:
The NY DMV site on this is confusing NYS DMV - Vehicle Registration and Certificate of Title I didn't see any time constaints, but I can across this form http://www.tax.ny.gov/pdf/current_forms/st/dtf803.pdf which may make it more difficult for me. I work in NYC but live in NJ and I plan on moving to NY later on this year. I thought I would be exempt from paying NY sales tax on the EV even though it would first be registered and in use for a while in NJ. But there seems to be a line in there that at the time of purchase I was 'not engaged in any trade, business, employment, or profession in New York State' . If I am reading that correctly, I may not be exempt ... this sucks.

Last edited:
In the case of my "home delivery" (actually had it delivered to my office, but same difference), my DS let me really check the car out thoroughly, run through all of the controls, test out charging, drive it around a bit - all told about an hour of me inspecting it - before I signed any paperwork or handed over a check. He was very sincere in wanting to make absolutely sure I was completely happy with the car first.

In the case of my "home delivery" (actually had it delivered to my office, but same difference), my DS let me really check the car out thoroughly, run through all of the controls, test out charging, drive it around a bit - all told about an hour of me inspecting it - before I signed any paperwork or handed over a check. He was very sincere in wanting to make absolutely sure I was completely happy with the car first.

Great information.

So bummed Virginia seems to have no incentives for EVs. :-( I get to pay sales tax (albeit only 3%) but then 4% personal property tax annually.

don't forget the awesome front-license plate requirement, no more HOV exception for hybrid/EV's, and a State/County/Local speed-enforcing police presence on par with the Soviet Gulag.

yay Virginia. :rolleyes:

- - - Updated - - -

Not another customer living in a trailer park? :scared:

i don't get it...

I live in the DC area and chose to pickup the car in Rockville to assure clean, works well and no issues. Home delivery is nice and convenient, however, I don't want a guy pickup pulling a trailer in charge of delivering my car! I want to assure I am the first to drive and enjoy the ride home :)

That is the DC area service center, I suppose where cars are delivered since they did not give me DC store as option. I am ok with Rockville delivery since no one will need to drive the car from prep center there and I can also check out there service center.