Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Homelink Garage Door Opening no longer included with Premium Interior Package

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I placed an order on 5/27, my car was manufactured 6/4 and both chat support and my sales rep are saying that it will come with Homelink. My sales rep said they received a communication that all orders placed before the change date will receive Homelink (if ordered with Premium interior).

Picking it up tomorrow - will report back...
Wow - this is huge, if true. Props to Tesla if true, no bait and switch.

We need someone with a June build date to post. I read somewhere that 5/31 was supposed to be the cutoff for installing Homelink at factory. I'm curious if they will install it anyway for orders taken before they removed it, or if we have to jump through hoops to get them to honor the agreement through a service appointment.

That would be me ;-)

June build. Delivery yesterday in AZ. Performance model. Homelink was included.

Reactions: Pommie
I doubt that they stopped installing Homelink in the Premium Interior cars prior to removing the feature from the product description on the website.

The question is, when did they remove the description from the website? Has anyone attempted to use Wayback to see when it was removed?
Not sure when it was removed from the description, but I took a screen shot of the description on 5/24/19. There are some other things missing from the current website description. From the Partial Premium Interior, the Standard maps & navigation is gone. And now under Premium Interior, in addition to the missing garage door opener,they list some internet features as only being included for one year, like Satellite-view maps, in-car internet streaming music & media and internet browser. So now people are going to have to pay for an At&T data package to get navigation?? Last week I read on a forum about a 1-yr data subscription and I didn't have any idea what they were talking about. I ordered my M3 LR/RWD on 5/14 (the day it went up $400) and was told on 5/16 it was ready. I took delivery 5/23, so I think/hope it doesn't expire??
Interior from 5-24-19.PNG

• Helpful
Reactions: Pommie
Not sure when it was removed from the description, but I took a screen shot of the description on 5/24/19. There are some other things missing from the current website description. From the Partial Premium Interior, the Standard maps & navigation is gone. And now under Premium Interior, in addition to the missing garage door opener,they list some internet features as only being included for one year, like Satellite-view maps, in-car internet streaming music & media and internet browser. So now people are going to have to pay for an At&T data package to get navigation?? Last week I read on a forum about a 1-yr data subscription and I didn't have any idea what they were talking about. I ordered my M3 LR/RWD on 5/14 (the day it went up $400) and was told on 5/16 it was ready. I took delivery 5/23, so I think/hope it doesn't expire?? View attachment 416975
Sorry, I did the screenshot around the May 12th. I just couldn't NOT have a sales brochure!

Not sure when it was removed from the description, but I took a screen shot of the description on 5/24/19. There are some other things missing from the current website description. From the Partial Premium Interior, the Standard maps & navigation is gone. And now under Premium Interior, in addition to the missing garage door opener,they list some internet features as only being included for one year, like Satellite-view maps, in-car internet streaming music & media and internet browser. So now people are going to have to pay for an At&T data package to get navigation?? Last week I read on a forum about a 1-yr data subscription and I didn't have any idea what they were talking about. I ordered my M3 LR/RWD on 5/14 (the day it went up $400) and was told on 5/16 it was ready. I took delivery 5/23, so I think/hope it doesn't expire?? View attachment 416975

The 1 year data subscription was in effect on model 3s at least as far back as when I took delivery of my model 3 Performance, which was december 4th 2018. That is not "new" at all.. and I would expect yours to expire just like the rest of us who purchased since around that time.

Reactions: brkaus and WilliamG
The 1 year data subscription was in effect on model 3s at least as far back as when I took delivery of my model 3 Performance, which was december 4th 2018. That is not "new" at all.. and I would expect yours to expire just like the rest of us who purchased since around that time.

It was there in December/Jan...you are right. But then in February it turned to lifetime... Now it's apparently gone back to 1 year.

I know when I ordered in March there was no mention anywhere of it being only 1 year. That language had been removed.

I ordered my Model 3 on 5/26, with the understanding it comes with Homelink. I have and use Homelink on both of my current vehicles every day and I want it and expect it. It's certainly annoying, to put it mildly, to be required to pay an extra $300 after sale on my $60,000 luxury vehicle for something that came on my Honda Accord years ago, not to mention the inconvenience of scheduling the installation.

Now, the obvious question is, did they install the module on all premium interior vehicles produced before 5/31? Or did they stop installing it at some date in the last month and just not tell us until now? Honestly, this kind of thing makes me want to cancel the order, on principle. In fact, the order agreement terms and conditions state "Options, features or hardware released after you place your order may not be included in or available for your vehicle." I.e., if they announce something new, they are not obligated to include it. But shouldn't that also mean that they don't have the right to delete something included with the vehicle at the time the order was placed?

Ordered my M3 Performance 5-12-19. Was not expecting to have Homelink pre-installed because Tesla said it wouldn’t be there. Happy surprise! My car went down the production line before Tesla stopped putting it in. It has Homelink! Delivered 6-7-19.

Ordered my M3 Performance 5-12-19. Was not expecting to have Homelink pre-installed because Tesla said it wouldn’t be there. Happy surprise! My car went down the production line before Tesla stopped putting it in. It has Homelink! Delivered 6-7-19.

Good to hear. I am surprised they said it would not be there. How would they know unless they work on the assembly line? I know this goes without saying but Tesla needs to be very clear when they start removing content from a car (NEMA 14-50, Homelink, etc.) For example, it should state something clearly on the website that all orders place from "x" date will no longer include "x". Not some bologna where we all sit on a forum wondering if we get a $300 garage door opener or not. Now if they want to add extra stuff at no extra cost and no communication, then great. ;)

I placed my order on 5/27 (a few days before the announcement) and my car was manufactured in June (after the announcement), and it had Homelink. Works really well.

Reactions: Jaywlker
I wonder is they get information sent back on how many people are actually using Homelink.
I have it, but never set it up. My garage door opener is nice and simple.

If you have the location aware Homelink I would set it up. It is pretty slick. When you approach you home it automatically pops up on the display and you can press to open/close it or you can even have it automatically open or close the door it without pressing anything. I agree a simple garage door opener will suffice but this Homelink integration via software they have is actually quite nice.

If you have the location aware Homelink I would set it up. It is pretty slick. When you approach you home it automatically pops up on the display and you can press to open/close it or you can even have it automatically open or close the door it without pressing anything. I agree a simple garage door opener will suffice but this Homelink integration via software they have is actually quite nice.
Just be aware that homelink (in nearly all cases) is a simple "toggle" control. When your kids are playing in the drive with the garage open, the car will close the door.