Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Homelink Garage Door Opening no longer included with Premium Interior Package

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone that successfully got Homelink added to the due bill and is willing to privately share your name and delivery date/location with me?

Delivery manager says she already escalated and is not authorized to add to due bill, very friendly tells me if I know of someone else that has been able to get it added she could use the example to better argue in my favor. I will continue to escalate w/corporate and see how far I can get, I know my chances get low once I take delivery but I’m not gonna refuse the car over Homelink.

So once again Tesla is being inconsistent from one service center to the next as to how they resolve customer complaints about Homelink not being installed. They really need to clean up this mess and make a decision one way or the other for the entire company.

I’m not convinced there is a legality issue here because you have the right to refuse delivery if you don’t want the car and they will issue you a full refund. I’d have to read the entire agreement to see what remedies they have in place to allow for disputes.

As to why they eliminated Homelink, I’m sure it’s to increase their margins without raising prices, and it’s based on them having enough data to suggest that many people don’t use it. We just installed a brand new garage door opener a few months ago that is wifi enabled so we could just use our phone to set up the equivalent location based functionality that Tesla offers. But it is nice to have if you don’t have this feature on your opener.

Reactions: Kleenerth3
What irritates me about this whole thing is I don’t think Tesla even makes $3 off of the $300 Homelink install.

Due to how backed up they are they had to set me up with a loaner for 3 days.

I get charging for it. I don’t get:

1.) not offering it as a pre purchase option

2.) not bundling a lot of other perks so they can get 500-1000 for it.

3.) not software locking it. Saves everyone trouble.

It’s a lot of hassle for $300 bucks.

Hi all. Just joined the forum as I just took delivery of my LR RWD MSM 3 today. I ordered on May 25. When the news hit that homelink was being dropped, I called my local sales office and asked if this would impact me. He told me that as long as I had ordered prior to May 30 it would still be installed.

Well guess what, it wasn’t. I argued the point as much as I could during delivery. Escalated as high as I could locally and they said sorry, I’d have to pay the $300 since it doesn’t matter when it was orders but when it was “born”.

I have an email to customer support but I’m starting to feel less than optimistic. Not a great first experience as a Tesla owner.

I ordered my Model 3 in May and picked up a June built car last week. It did not have Homelink installed and, after a bit of back-and-forth at the Delivery Center (Marina Del Rey / LA), I received a due bill. I then scheduled an at home installation for this upcoming week... only to receive a call a few hours later from a Tesla service representative explaining that I needed to pay for Homelink on-line before the installation could be scheduled. I explained my situation and, after texting over a copy of the due bill, squared everything away. I am cautiously optimistic that this (admittedly trivial) situation will be resolved in a few days.

My takeaways - 1) if possible do not leave the delivery center without a written / e-mailed due bill as the documentation will be required for Tesla covered installation and 2) while Telsa is a ground-breaking company that is transforming the auto manufacturer & dealer industries... it is growing so fast that its internal communication is being stretched. For proof, I ordered / configured a LR RWD car by speaking with a Tesla representative in Fremont... after being told in two different Tesla stores that RWD was an inventory only car at the time and that my choices were extremely limited.

After reading this thread and not getting any response from my support email, yesterday I called my sales center. The guy there told me that they were aware of the issue, that I am entitled to homelink and they are waiting on a solution from corporate sales. He put my name on a list of affected customers and said he expected someone would contact me in the next week or two.

Not sure why Tesla creates such a mess over a garage door opener. The dumb move is that they remove content and don’t offer an easy way to add it back. You have to take delivery then go online and order this $300 HomeLink module, and the Tesla online store is no Amazon by the way. Then in a couple weeks if it is not sold out you then make and appt at your closest service center, which may not be close for a lot of folks and is usually at least a week out to get an appt.

It would probably be less expensive to increase the price of the car $100 and install the hardware module in every car including the SRs. Then if a customer wants HomeLink, they can charge $200 online from our Tesla accounts to unlock it via software. Tesla avoids customer sat problem, frees up service centers to work on repairs instead of garage door openers and creates a revenue stream for those that want to add it.

Reactions: Kleenerth3
I read somewhere that the actual module costs pennies. Maybe there was some kind of manufacturing challenge that eliminating it solves putting that effort on the service center.
But I agree. I think Tesla has a huge opportunity with the pay to unlock or subscribe to model. It takes stress out of the buying process actually.

I read somewhere that the actual module costs pennies. Maybe there was some kind of manufacturing challenge that eliminating it solves putting that effort on the service center.
But I agree. I think Tesla has a huge opportunity with the pay to unlock or subscribe to model. It takes stress out of the buying process actually.

Exactly, if they can disable fog lights, seat heaters, speakers, interior lights, etc. then they should be able to software lock the Homelink and charge folks to unlock if they want.

What irritates me about this whole thing is I don’t think Tesla even makes $3 off of the $300 Homelink install.

Due to how backed up they are they had to set me up with a loaner for 3 days.

I get charging for it. I don’t get:

1.) not offering it as a pre purchase option

2.) not bundling a lot of other perks so they can get 500-1000 for it.

3.) not software locking it. Saves everyone trouble.

It’s a lot of hassle for $300 bucks.

I’d like to believe this decision was forced because of a supplier issue.

If it was just about money then they would have allowed adding it in the configuration... or they are being really stupid about this...

My money is on a supply shortage. If that’s the case then we’ll see it come back as standard or at least in the configurator.

Took delivery today. No homelink. Insisted that it was owed to me per the specifications at the time of purchase. Anyhow they took it up the management chain and got it approved to installed. Have a due bill in hand.

How high up the chain? Was the delivery manager deciding or higher up? According to my delivery manager she escalated and was told specifically that Homelink could NOT be added to the due bill.

I’d like to believe this decision was forced because of a supplier issue.

If it was just about money then they would have allowed adding it in the configuration... or they are being really stupid about this...

My money is on a supply shortage. If that’s the case then we’ll see it come back as standard or at least in the configurator.

I doubt it. Homelink has been around for at least 20 years and is installed in virtually every car produced. It’s old technology and there is no reason it would be in short supply. Tesla has to pay for the hardware and licensing fee to install it so by removing it they were able to improve their margins without raising the price of the car.

The entire fiasco is a great example of the disfunction that is Tesla today... Removing it to begin with was short sighted at best but then the complete lack of consistency with regards to what cars are actually built with it and what cars aren't, etc... Just really unnecessary.

Jeff