Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Homelink Garage Door Opening no longer included with Premium Interior Package

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What was the mobile installation process like? How long does it take? What part of the new car does the service technician tear into? It's seems like the module is a simple "plug into harness" mode, but where does it go? I ask these questions in advance of a "mobile service" appointment I have next Monday, July 8th. I'm also wondering how long I will have to "hang around". Thanks for sharing your experience!

Well my appointment is not until July 15 due to my being on vacation. So perhaps you could share your experience? I saw somewhere that the entire front bumper facia has to come off. I just had clear bra and ceramic coating applied so I really hope it doesn’t damage it.

I got my homelink installed yesterday after a delay due to the tech being sick on my appointment day. But the whole process took about 45 minutes.
He removed all of the frunk lining and partially loosened the front bumper.
6525F9EC-E7BB-4167-A073-BB68891876C7.jpeg
He said he had perfected a way of getting in there without completely removing the bumper.
F4EEC373-646A-46B7-8E90-644AE5FC8F97.jpeg 6525F9EC-E7BB-4167-A073-BB68891876C7.jpeg

Still playing with it to get the distance right. But overall pleased and glad to not have to carry a visor clicker in my center console anymore.

• Informative
Reactions: Scott7 and WilliamG
So crazy that they just don’t include the Homelink module and raise the price a couple hundred bucks. On other cars, Homelink is usually on the visor or rear view mirror and does not require tearing your car apart to add it. Now they are clogging up Tesla mobile service to add these. Stop the madness.

Reactions: VikH
So crazy that they just don’t include the Homelink module and raise the price a couple hundred bucks. On other cars, Homelink is usually on the visor or rear view mirror and does not require tearing your car apart to add it. Now they are clogging up Tesla mobile service to add these. Stop the madness.

Also putting the module behind the bumper makes it a lot harder to get the signal to the receiver I think. It’s so low to the ground while the receiver is on the ceiling of the garage.

I have heard some speculation that Tesla was paying Homelink a per car license fee and by reducing it to only the cars that actually want it they stand to save a lot of money.

Who knows it could be a supply problem with the modules. Anything that speeds up delivery I guess has merit.

Dang I almost snapped a photo of it but I didn’t. It is about the size of a wallet. A black thing a little bit wider than a deck of cards and about as thick.

As for mine after using it for a few days and tweaking the distance I LOVE IT! My garage is beneath my house and with my old clicker I would fire it at the top of my driveway. The Tesla module won’t reach that far which is what I would prefer. But I have it set at 40ft and it opens just as I round the driveway to straighten out for the garage. I do have to wait a few seconds for it to open but it works great. And auto close works just as well. Overall very pleased.

Only weirdness is that I set my mirrors to auto fold in the homelink setting which is really nice. But they don’t auto unfold on close and I feel like they should. Instead I have to wait until I get up to 5 mph for them to unfold.

Does anyone have a picture of the actual module they install? Is it just plug and play or do they have to make car config changes to activate it?

In addition to plugging in the device, the tech did have to enable something (I think) at least he brought his laptop and sat in the driver seat for a few minutes.

After that he walked me through setting it up with my garage opener.

After he left I found a broken body clip in my driveway. I texted him about it and Monday he came to my workplace and checked it out. Turns out mine were all there and it must have fallen out of his pocket or something. He did mention that he replaced two body clips that were missing on mine.

• Helpful
Reactions: davidk2213
Removal of the bumper and basic sticker shock led me to look for alternatives. I just ordered & installed Tailwind for $90. Seemed like a much better solution - auto open as you drive to & close as you drive away, an app to show me whether or not the door is closed or not, ability to open/close remotely, integration with home automation/smart homes (Alexa in my case). I've only used it last night after install and this morning to check the auto open/close feature, but so far everything seems to work as advertised.

Reactions: cucubits