Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Homelink retrofit install failure

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In retrospect, yes. However, there were so many successful installs all over, It was just a plug n play, so I figured let try this. It sucks that I ran into this issue. I did everything the videos mentioned. I will try to take it out and do a reinstall this weekend to see if missed anything. What is there to miss anyway? You just have to plug the connector to the homelink module. There is not much to do from that prospective. All the work is related to the stupid bracket install which in theory should have nothing to do with the module configuration, etc.

Unless Tesla has now stopped allowing DIY Homelink retrofits and hence the authorization failure I am getting. Anyway, if all this does not work out I will return the module (I have 30 days) and then schedule a service call.
I really think it's just a bug with the current software revision. The feature wouldn't exist in service mode if it didn't work. The ability to DIY it is not that old.

You did everything right - probably worth waiting for the next update to see how it goes in the hopes they fixed it. You spent money on this - suggestions for you to move to MyQ right now are a bit premature...

Yep, Chamberlain broke it, intentionally! I will never spend money on a MyQ product in the future because of this. Everything in my Homebridge setup worked great until they screwed with it.
I’m in the same boat. They went out of their way to break my integrations with my own hardware. Therefore, I refuse to pay a dime for anything MyQ. I’ll stick with HomeLink whenever we end up with our next Tesla.

Is it worth taking

I already have MyQ but I am not interested in an monthly plan. So that's not an option for me.
And MyQ does not open any gates or doors that is out of reach of the WiFi like the entrance to our community has a security gate that works well on Homelink but not with MyQ. Subscription fee to MyQ? Now that's a sheer waste of money cos I use it without paying any fees. Yes! It will not link up without you paying the money but I am better off with HomeLink.

In retrospect, yes. However, there were so many successful installs all over, It was just a plug n play, so I figured let try this. It sucks that I ran into this issue. I did everything the videos mentioned. I will try to take it out and do a reinstall this weekend to see if missed anything. What is there to miss anyway? You just have to plug the connector to the homelink module. There is not much to do from that prospective. All the work is related to the stupid bracket install which in theory should have nothing to do with the module configuration, etc.

Unless Tesla has now stopped allowing DIY Homelink retrofits and hence the authorization failure I am getting. Anyway, if all this does not work out I will return the module (I have 30 days) and then schedule a service call.
The only thing is, your home link module is bad, I did the install last week and it went fine, no issues at all for Model Y

MyQ does not provide any integration with Siri unless you pay subscription. If I am incorrect, can you post the steps on how to integrate with Siri? I have MyQ for last 8 years and it worked very well with variety of integrations until it broke in November.
No this is just using HomeKit on my phone with one of those $40 smart garage door opener addons installed.

No this is just using HomeKit on my phone with one of those $40 smart garage door opener addons installed.
Tried that option too. Apple wants me to buy $200 Apple TV just to allow Homekit. Even then it will only work either with Siri or to Geofence integration. There is no native integration with Smart garage opener meaning it won't sense your car coming in. Geofence is too risky where I live, I couldn't figure out how to add other users and configure Siri on their phones, etc. Wasn't worth it. Returned it.

And BTW when I do all this, I curse Elon Musk every time I run into any issue. For a $54K car, I shouldn't have to be doing this. Lot cheaper cars provide seemless integration. Clearly, this is our First *AND* last Tesla. Good luck to all current and future Tesla buyers in which hardware is getting replaced by non working software.

I’m in the same boat. They went out of their way to break my integrations with my own hardware. Therefore, I refuse to pay a dime for anything MyQ. I’ll stick with HomeLink whenever we end up with our next Tesla.
Same here. I threw out the MyQ and installed a Meross garage door opener, works with homelink and Apple HomeKit.
I get door status without subscriptions and it works with the rest of my home setup.

Reactions: richyrich
Tried that option too. Apple wants me to buy $200 Apple TV just to allow Homekit. Even then it will only work either with Siri or to Geofence integration. There is no native integration with Smart garage opener meaning it won't sense your car coming in. Geofence is too risky where I live, I couldn't figure out how to add other users and configure Siri on their phones, etc. Wasn't worth it. Returned it.

And BTW when I do all this, I curse Elon Musk every time I run into any issue. For a $54K car, I shouldn't have to be doing this. Lot cheaper cars provide seemless integration. Clearly, this is our First *AND* last Tesla. Good luck to all current and future Tesla buyers in which hardware is getting replaced by non working software.
A new Apple TV is $125 from B&H, or get a 2021 ATV on eBay for $70-80, or a used HomePod Mini to act as a HomeKit hub for even less.

Hi, 23 MY owner here with identical issue. Bought new module off ebay, followed directions. Got auth issue.
Same issue for me. 2 month old MY 23 AWD.

Pinging the seller on eBay.
IMG_3453.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_3454.jpeg
    IMG_3454.jpeg
    570.4 KB · Views: 38
Tried installing Homelink Module and followed all the steps correctly. The module is installed (That screw took forever but I installed it). But now when I go in the Service mode and click on the Homelink Retro fit, I get this authorization error:View attachment 1015635

Does anyone has any suggestions to go past this error? Looks like an authorization error so not sure if Tesla has locked something? Or maybe the module I got is bad? Not clear
I have a 2023 MYP (Built late Dec 23) with the exact error message. Followed the install directions to the t. Running 2024.2.2.1

It’s a bummer!

I cannot verify any bit of this, but am just relaying what a mobile service technician told me in November of 2023.

When having my HomeLink installed I mentioned that I had considered doing it myself. He showed me how to do it and was generally really helpful and said that at that time it was possible to install them yourself. He told me that future versions wouldn’t allow that, however, and that they were going to begin locking the serial of the HomeLink device to the VIN of the car in the vehicle configuration. He told me that once that change was made you might be able to install the device, but whenever the car checked its configuration it would remove it if the serial didn’t match what it expected.

Again, I have no way to verify that information, but it was what I was told.

I cannot verify any bit of this, but am just relaying what a mobile service technician told me in November of 2023.

When having my HomeLink installed I mentioned that I had considered doing it myself. He showed me how to do it and was generally really helpful and said that at that time it was possible to install them yourself. He told me that future versions wouldn’t allow that, however, and that they were going to begin locking the serial of the HomeLink device to the VIN of the car in the vehicle configuration. He told me that once that change was made you might be able to install the device, but whenever the car checked its configuration it would remove it if the serial didn’t match what it expected.

Again, I have no way to verify that information, but it was what I was told.
Thanks for this info. I attempted DIY today and received same error as OP. Guess need to buy module from Tesla and have them install.