Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Homelink retrofit install failure

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks for this info. I attempted DIY today and received same error as OP. Guess need to buy module from Tesla and have them install.
Honestly, if you can wait, I’d wait until the next software release just in case it’s a bug with the current firmware. I take anything Tesla tells me with a grain of salt, especially if what they are telling me helps them sell more random stuff.

If its serial number problem, I know mobile service reinstalls software to have the new s/w correct that. Had a security module for the card reader changed and that's what he did. Has anyone tried to reinstall s/w from the service menu with the Homelink module installed? Just a suggestion, wonder if its been tried.

If its serial number problem, I know mobile service reinstalls software to have the new s/w correct that. Had a security module for the card reader changed and that's what he did. Has anyone tried to reinstall s/w from the service menu with the Homelink module installed? Just a suggestion, wonder if its been tried.
I did try reinstall from the service menu. Twice. Still no Luck. Its locked down because the error clearly says "Authorization error".

Reactions: golferguy
Same one I have. Works great. I was sure I’d be going for homelink retrofit but I think I’ll just stick with this.
They did not look at it then. However, they scheduled a service call for me in the coming week to check and fix that. The invoice says $0.00 but you never know if they fix it, they might as for $$. I will keep everyone posted how this goes.

It sucks that either its locked down or the current software has an issue which will be resolved in the coming days/months/years. Either way, all of us trying DIY Homelink Install on a 2023 MYLR are SOL.

Damn. It looks like Tesla is preventing DIYs by locking it out? I installed my Homelink module a day before I updated my car to the 2024.x.x version (was on 2023.30.x.x before that). I didn't face the issue and Homelink works, for now. Hopefully it doesn't lock out people who have already installed it. Would be a shitty move but I don't expect much from Tesla anyway.

An update on HomeLink Module installation on 2024 MYLR. Lot of confusion and still confused. When I bought it 2 weeks ago, I got 3 different versions of installation. First, one of the reps said yeah! you can buy the module and install it yourself! That didn't last long as a service center tech shot it down and said Nope! You cant DIY it but a mobile service tech can do that. I tried setting that up and the app said no cant do! It has to be done at the service center as the module will be shipped only to a service center! I setup the appointment, paid for the module and installation and the appointment was set for Feb. 14 at the Charlotte service center and I get a text message from Tesla saying I have an appointment on Feb. 14 at my house and a mobile tech is going to install it! I called the service center about it and I gave them a mouthful for conflicting info they have been giving me. He went silent for few minutes and came back and confirmed that the mobile tech should be able to do it. I said my module has been shipped to the service center which he confirmed and said that the mobile tech will have a module to install. mmmmm... sounds like Tesla is losing their marbles here. Let me see what happens on Feb. 14! LOL

Reactions: KevinT3141
FYI on the store page where you buy it states:
Purchase in the Tesla App
Purchase this item in the Tesla app and schedule an appointment to install it on your vehicle
And:
Price includes shipment to your preferred Tesla Service Center and installation. For additional information about scheduling your Service appointment, visit Shop FAQ.

Ideally the service centre would have their story straight but I followed those instructions last time and it was easy. Appointment in the app will let you know if mobile is possible, and the ranger will always bring any parts they need for their appointments, including retrofit items, you don’t need to do anything extra.

Reactions: arvindm

And:

Ideally the service centre would have their story straight but I followed those instructions last time and it was easy. Appointment in the app will let you know if mobile is possible, and the ranger will always bring any parts they need for their appointments, including retrofit items, you don’t need to do anything extra.
I hope you are right. All the info so far has been very confusing!

And:

When I purchased Homelink for my old 2021 MY7LR the process worked exactly like that. I got the shipment sent to my house and scheduled a mobile tech, who came out and did the installation. However, for the 2023 MYP I just picked up in December, it seemed that they had the homelink on-hand at the SC and when I bought it, they just scheduled an appointment and I went and they installed one there immediately.

When I purchased Homelink for my old 2021 MY7LR the process worked exactly like that. I got the shipment sent to my house and scheduled a mobile tech, who came out and did the installation. However, for the 2023 MYP I just picked up in December, it seemed that they had the homelink on-hand at the SC and when I bought it, they just scheduled an appointment and I went and they installed one there immediately.
I wish it was that simple. Everything has changed with 2024 MY withHW4. Lots of confusion even with Tesla reps and service center. I was not able to setup a mobile tech appointment on the app and it said the only option I had was to make an appointment at the service center of my choice and that the module will only be shipped to the service center. As of yesterday, everything has changed! Tomorrow will be another day. I will keep you all posted.

I know this is a Model Y thread, but I wanted to report my experience on this. I have a 2022 Model 3 and ordered a module from eBay. When I tried to install it today, I ran into this issue described here. I put in a service request through the Tesla app. They called me within 5 minutes and resolved it remotely at no charge. Just wanted to share this in case anyone was hesitating to self install.

I know this is a Model Y thread, but I wanted to report my experience on this. I have a 2022 Model 3 and ordered a module from eBay. When I tried to install it today, I ran into this issue described here. I put in a service request through the Tesla app. They called me within 5 minutes and resolved it remotely at no charge. Just wanted to share this in case anyone was hesitating to self install.
The 2024 MY with HW4 is a little different. But god that it worked well!

Update:

Tesla Mobile Tech came today and installed the HomeLink Module. I was at work but left the car in my driveway. He text me when he arrived at my house and said that he will go ahead and install the module. After about 20 minutes, I got another text saying it was all done. I got back home shortly after lunch and was able to program my garage door without any problem and also the entrance gate to my neighborhood. Both work flawlessly and open as I am approaching the gate or the garage and close it when I leave. Success!

2024 MYLR HW4

I'm curious what you told Tesla when they called you... Did you explicitly state YOU installed the module?

They had removed the remote install option for late 2023 cars as well. I called Tesla to whine about that, and they told me that I could just “request service” and add the HomeLink and say I wanted it done at home (instead of buying it through the store and scheduling). I did just that, and no issues, the tech came out and installed it at home. But, like everyone said, that’s a 2023 car.

Did he charge you for the install? I am going to the service center tomorrow for the same thing. So wanted to see if you had to pay for this.
I was 100% honest and said I installed it myself using a new OEM part. He was friendly about it and didn't care at all. Your mileage may vary depending on the mood of the service tech I suppose.
just curious what he got you to do? Or he just did everything on his end?

They had removed the remote install option for late 2023 cars as well. I called Tesla to whine about that, and they told me that I could just “request service” and add the HomeLink and say I wanted it done at home (instead of buying it through the store and scheduling). I did just that, and no issues, the tech came out and installed it at home. But, like everyone said, that’s a 2023 car.
Mine is 12/23 I purchased it in mid Jan 24, did homelink retrofit at home around last week of Jan 24. No issues.

I don’t think they have locked down or anything, it’s just few cars facing issues!

Reactions: KevinT3141