Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Homelink retrofit install failure

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My wife bought me one off eBay for Christmas but I didn't install yet and then started seeing these reports. Tried to have Tesla come install it and they said they wouldn't because they didn't have a record of me buying the device from them even though it is in a sealed box. YMMV but that was my experience so I'm waiting to see if someone finds it working wit the 2024 software or I have an expensive paperweight
Tesla mobile service installed my Ebay purchased homelink yesterday. Last week I created a service request in the app for installation including a picture of the unopened package, and it was immediately approved and let me schedule. If you try again maybe a different service rep might approve?

My car is still on 2023.x and it took the tech less than 10 seconds to activate the homelink.

Tesla mobile service installed my Ebay purchased homelink yesterday. Last week I created a service request in the app for installation including a picture of the unopened package, and it was immediately approved and let me schedule. If you try again maybe a different service rep might approve?

My car is still on 2023.x and it took the tech less than 10 seconds to activate the homelink.
Thanks for confirming the version you're on. This add more credence to the theory something changed (deliberately) or broke in the 2024 code. I ordered my from an ebay seller that had alot of stock and it came new with the bracket/screw as well all sealed in new bags with Tesla parts labels but I upgraded to 2024.x right before I installed the Homelink which lead to the error being discussed.

IMG_0676.jpeg

I just received my HomeLink module from eBay and got the exact same error message on the screen, so I finally found this discussion thread. My software version is v2024.2.7.

I tried to request Tesla Mobile Service in the app, and it's going to charge me CA$515, so I canceled the service.

Based on the discussions, I think the key is enabling the Service Mode Plus. I will have 30 days to return the module, hope we could figure out a solution. Maybe I should try to park in front of Tesla, and try the Service Mode again.

Reactions: ag21
I complained in the Tesla app for the estimated cost of CA$515, explained that they only need to help me enable Service Mode Plus, that's a 1-minute work. They asked me to re-schedule an appointment, I did it, now they are charging me for CA$12. Let's see if it really works next Tuesday.

Reactions: ag21
Quick update on my story.
I just bought a Tesla Model Y in Feb and purchased the homelink unit from eBay like most, also ran into the same exact issue like most. I had a service appointment (at a service center) for other reasons and I casually asked them - "can you please look into my homelink setup as I am running into some configuration errors". I just picked up the car from service center and to my pleasant surprise, homelink is all configured and works now.
So a simple service request could do it.

I complained in the Tesla app for the estimated cost of CA$515, explained that they only need to help me enable Service Mode Plus, that's a 1-minute work. They asked me to re-schedule an appointment, I did it, now they are charging me for CA$12. Let's see if it really works next Tuesday.
Would love to hear what happens in this situation, I don't mind paying $12 but service advisor travels to our area once a month to basically service all the Teslas.

Sure, I will report back on Tuesday.

I just went to Tesla and tried twice to enable Service Mode Plus in front of their door, nothing happened 😅
Forgot to attach my photo, I tried twice to enable Service Mode in front of Tesla Service Centre, and it didn't show Service Mode + at all, and I still got the same error. Though I don't know if the module I got from eBay is a working unit...

Attachments

• IMG_9885 Large.jpeg
    IMG_9885 Large.jpeg
    122.9 KB · Views: 17
I'm back, the Home Link module was activated super quickly once Service Mode Plus was enabled. That was really a 3 minute service, and now I've configured the auto open/close features, everything's working flawlessly.

The guy told me:
1. It's his first time to install the module (though he just removed a module for another client yesterday)
2. It's rare that someone wants to reinstall it, so the CA$515 at the beginning was for a new installation.
3. He thought a regular Service Mode was enough, so he tried it first, and he failed.
4. After my explanation he realized that it was a super quick service, he was very happy.

Yeah!

I'm back, the Home Link module was activated super quickly once Service Mode Plus was enabled. That was really a 3 minute service, and now I've configured the auto open/close features, everything's working flawlessly.

The guy told me:
1. It's his first time to install the module (though he just removed a module for another client yesterday)
2. It's rare that someone wants to reinstall it, so the CA$515 at the beginning was for a new installation.
3. He thought a regular Service Mode was enough, so he tried it first, and he failed.
4. After my explanation he realized that it was a super quick service, he was very happy.

Yeah!
Nice. So the option worked fine when it was in service mode plus? They didn’t otherwise have to do anything within toolbox itself?