Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HomeLink stopped working - is this widespread?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I took my to the SC and they knew about the problem, I got a software update and its fixed.

To be honest I would be quite surprised unless you are one of the very few who seem to have received 2017.41, I can confirm that the issue still exists in 2017.40.1 and just "rebooted" our 2017 100D Model X last night when the HomeLink failed to respond to get it working again and we have 2017.40.1 on the car.

To be honest I would be quite surprised unless you are one of the very few who seem to have received 2017.41, I can confirm that the issue still exists in 2017.40.1 and just "rebooted" our 2017 100D Model X last night when the HomeLink failed to respond to get it working again and we have 2017.40.1 on the car.
Maybe it's a coincidence that it started working right after the software update? Or maybe it was because of the reboot Due to the software update?

Maybe it's a coincidence that it started working right after the software update? Or maybe it was because of the reboot Due to the software update?

Absolutely could be, or it could be for certain configurations and situations the firmware did fix it. Too many variables to really know if or when this is actually fixed as no one seems to be able to replicate it consistently really.

My HomeLink didn't work this morning after the software update last night. I got it to work again by going into the HomeLink settings, selecting the first garage door, then tapping PROGRAM. I then hit CANCEL. No need to actually repogram the door. I did this for the second door. Now both doors work as before.

Hope this helps.

Tony

Reactions: pvazquez03
I can confirm hitting CANCEL after selecting PROGRAM on the Homelink menu enables Homelink again. For now that'll be my workaround. It has worked everytime the garage door fails to open.

I will have to try that. I did confirm that disabling Energy Saver Mode appears to PREVENT it from not working first time in the morning, so it appears to be some sleep mode related issue. But the vampire drain without sleeping is more than I want to loose, so I am going to re-enable Energy Saving mode and try the PROGRAM/Cancel sequence tomorrow morning. I can live with that more than I can live with the extra vampire drain...

Looks like anything that recycles the HL software (reboot, power off/on, program/cancel) 'fixes' it. Brother.... I think the only version we don't know about is 17.41, and there are only a few copies out there (with three reported to ev-fw/TeslaFi). I also doubt they had the time to get a fix into it... I'll try the program/cancel next time, thanks for finding that one, definitely the quickest 'fix'!

Looks like anything that recycles the HL software (reboot, power off/on, program/cancel) 'fixes' it. Brother.... I think the only version we don't know about is 17.41, and there are only a few copies out there (with three reported to ev-fw/TeslaFi). I also doubt they had the time to get a fix into it... I'll try the program/cancel next time, thanks for finding that one, definitely the quickest 'fix'!

When I looked at the detail of 2017.41 it seems like a Beta release as it is one each of 3 Model Xs - P100D (AP2), P90D (AP1) and 90D (AP1), one per day for 3 days and then no more since the 16th.

My HomeLink didn't work this morning after the software update last night. I got it to work again by going into the HomeLink settings, selecting the first garage door, then tapping PROGRAM. I then hit CANCEL. No need to actually repogram the door. I did this for the second door. Now both doors work as before.

Hope this helps.

Tony

Thanks for the informative tip.

Yeah, it doesn’t matter, and that’s the usual problem, we need a common place for common problems.... :(
Looks like much of the latest hardware updates are glaumed into the S sub-forum - where we have to go search over there to see if our issues are the same - so it's only fair.
;)
Looks like anything that recycles the HL software (reboot, power off/on, program/cancel) 'fixes' it. .....snip.....
no - we had a tech out yesterday to play withe the worsening home-link stuff. Even tho I'd already tried the screen reset a couple days earlier, he tried it again, to no avail. So stupid ... now tesla is considering changing out transmitters in our car now - even tho I'd brought up this thread. Simply put - there are multiple issues going on & thus - no silver bullet - maybe note even the next / latest / greatest software update.

Last edited:
17.38 - strangely enough my homelink has been working perfectly fine for the past few days, despite initially having problems (to the point where I was carrying an old fashioned remote for the garage door in the car). (did tesla patch without update in FW #)??). Or perhaps it straightens itself out after a few days??