Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Homelink — Change Transmit Mode

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Musterion

18h 03m 37s −24° 23′ 12″
Jan 10, 2013
M8
Hi folks, I have new Model X and a Classic Model S. Like others, I have big problems with the Homelink functionality on the new Model X and with recent software revisions through 2017.38.4 (but no problems on trusty Model S). I believe the problem may be due to new Homelink hardware revisions since at some point, the Homelink hardware has changed and in new versions (I have all new hardware revision for other stuff on Model X like AP2.5, etc.), there is a now an option to “Change Transmit Mode” with a warning that if you change the mode, it clears all programming. The choices are only “Standard” and “Default Receiver.” What the heck are these and has anyone tried to change to other transmit mode to fix Homelink problems? There is absolutely no mention of this transmit mode setting that I can find in the literature. The issues with Homelink are not related to rolling-code vs dumb receiver, since I have issues with both on the MX. I have issued in-car bug reports. Thanks!

Hi folks, I have new Model X and a Classic Model S. Like others, I have big problems with the Homelink functionality on the new Model X and with recent software revisions through 2017.38.4 (but no problems on trusty Model S). I believe the problem may be due to new Homelink hardware revisions since at some point, the Homelink hardware has changed and in new versions (I have all new hardware revision for other stuff on Model X like AP2.5, etc.), there is a now an option to “Change Transmit Mode” with a warning that if you change the mode, it clears all programming. The choices are only “Standard” and “Default Receiver.” What the heck are these and has anyone tried to change to other transmit mode to fix Homelink problems? There is absolutely no mention of this transmit mode setting that I can find in the literature. The issues with Homelink are not related to rolling-code vs dumb receiver, since I have issues with both on the MX. I have issued in-car bug reports. Thanks!
So you’re saying there is new Homelink hardware on new cars? My new X (AP 2.5) was produced around Sept 1st and I’ve not seen these options. Where are they in the Homelink menu? If they’re obvious, then I don’t have them and I wonder when they appeared. (And that means the 17.36+ issues aren’t from the new hardware....)

So you’re saying there is new Homelink hardware on new cars? My new X (AP 2.5) was produced around Sept 1st and I’ve not seen these options. Where are they in the Homelink menu? If they’re obvious, then I don’t have them and I wonder when they appeared. (And that means the 17.36+ issues aren’t from the new hardware....)
Okay, I do see this option. This must have appeared in 17.38 as it definitely wasn’t there when I programmed the car originally with 17.36 two weeks ago (original software from the SC).

Mine says Standard (what it’s using) and ‘Default Receiver’ for the other option.

I’ve not tried anything since after the last reboot five openings have just worked. And now it’s failed. Let me investigate...

I’m convinced there is new Homelink hardware on my late-Sept-2017-build MX (VIN 68k) at least compared to what used to ship with Model S, but I don’t know when it appeared first in MX (or MS). If your null observation is correct, it was very recently, but then doesn’t explain the recent Homelink boondoggle as you say. As for the option, it was first thing I noticed when programming; here ‘tis mate:

EBEAE875-DE51-4EC4-934D-E72D60E28165.jpeg

I’m convinced there is new Homelink hardware on my late-Sept-2017-build MX (VIN 68k) at least compared to what used to ship with Model S, but I don’t know when it appeared first in MX (or MS). If your null observation is correct, it was very recently, but then doesn’t explain the recent Homelink boondoggle as you say. As for the option, it was first thing I noticed when programming; here ‘tis mate:

View attachment 252712
Quite agree, I think we cross posted. :D Not sure now if it’s worth it to delete my config and re-do it with the other transmitter type (‘Default’)?

Our MX came with 2017.38 and I always had the transmit mode option, which persists with 2017.38.4. Also the Homelink problems span both firmware versions for me, and I am using the factory default transmit mode, “Standard.” Haven’t tried the other because I figured someone else would have tried by now. But my comment about new hardware is based on my Model S not showing the same option for the same firmware revisions. Now I will double-check the S.

I’m still on 17.36...

Has anyone you rechecked the Homelink section of the onboard user manual for the mode settings explanation? (Controls/settings tab. Book Icon on Lower left of 17” screen)
In my limited experience new features get documented there along with the update.

I’m still on 17.36...

Has anyone you rechecked the Homelink section of the onboard user manual for the mode settings explanation? (Controls/settings tab. Book Icon on Lower left of 17” screen)
In my limited experience new features get documented there along with the update.
Yeah, no new updates in the onboard manual that I can see. Is there a quick way to search for things or are we stuck with scrolling to the entry?

I have a December 2016 build and I am also on 2017.38 and I have both options. My home link has also been crappy on this FW version, but worked great before that. I have not tried the two options, just "Standard"

• Informative
Reactions: pilotSteve
OK I’m a moron as they say. In fact my S is at 2017.36 firmware but shows the new “transmit mode” selection, which I hadn’t noticed before. So perhaps Homelink has not changed hardware recently, but the bigger issue remains: 2017.36 seems to work fine with Homelink (does on my S and does with other folks on their X). Something in 2017.38 broke this and now we have a new mode selection to fiddle with and try to fix our woes.

Well, this sounds like fun... :D Add a new option, mess things up, no doc. If the other option fixes it and they didn’t doc it, not going to be happy.

I might be able to redo this in a day or so. Anyone want to beat me to it?

Go for the win.

Yeah, lol, we all have the same thing I guess. :D
(17.36 shows it? I could have sworn it wasn’t there when I got the car with that rev... I give up then...)

So, I went ahead and tried the new option, as I couldn’t wait. Completely weird. The original ‘Standard’ does what we expect, you program it with your remote, yada yada.

When you change it over to ‘Default Receiver’ (which maybe should be ‘Default Transmitter’), wait for it... it doesn’t ask you to program anything. It doesn’t want to use your remote sender at all. It skips that step, tells you to push the button on your door opener (or not, if it’s an auto-learn, etc.). I did all that, nothing. Didn’t work. Did it all twice.

Changed it back, had it learn my remote again, worked perfectly. Opened the door and closed it. We’ll see how long it lasts.

I have no idea what ‘Default Receiver’ means to Homelink, perhaps we need to google Homelink, perhaps it’s not ready for prime time yet (shocker that, an option that’s not fully baked..?).

In any case, we can hope that deleting it and redoing it may do something. I’ll keep y’all posted on how long this lasts. :D

Reactions: Musterion
Yeah, lol, we all have the same thing I guess. :D
(17.36 shows it? I could have sworn it wasn’t there when I got the car with that rev... I give up then...)

So, I went ahead and tried the new option, as I couldn’t wait. Completely weird. The original ‘Standard’ does what we expect, you program it with your remote, yada yada.

When you change it over to ‘Default Receiver’ (which maybe should be ‘Default Transmitter’), wait for it... it doesn’t ask you to program anything. It doesn’t want to use your remote sender at all. It skips that step, tells you to push the button on your door opener (or not, if it’s an auto-learn, etc.). I did all that, nothing. Didn’t work. Did it all twice.

Changed it back, had it learn my remote again, worked perfectly. Opened the door and closed it. We’ll see how long it lasts.

I have no idea what ‘Default Receiver’ means to Homelink, perhaps we need to google Homelink, perhaps it’s not ready for prime time yet (shocker that, an option that’s not fully baked..?).

In any case, we can hope that deleting it and redoing it may do something. I’ll keep y’all posted on how long this lasts. :D
I have called Tesla...
Tesla Roadside Assistance (877-79TESLA)
for any issue I have come across that I could not resolve myself. They are always relentlessly helpful and professional. I would try giving them a call.

I have called Tesla...
Tesla Roadside Assistance (877-79TESLA)
for any issue I have come across that I could not resolve myself. They are always relentlessly helpful and professional. I would try giving them a call.
Someone can try that.... and I might next time it breaks to see if they are any better than the dozens of other support organizations I’ve dealt with over the decades. I’ll bet all they do is go through the reprogramming instructions. Sorry, but as a computer professional, I have an adversion to calling tech support. I typically waste hours and hours telling ‘the help desk’ people how things really work and getting nowhere and end up fixing it myself. I know we can’t do that in this exact case, but we can submit voice bug reports. Perhaps next time it doesn’t work and I have some spare time, I’ll make my first call to the support line. I’d love to be pleasantly surprised by Tesla. :D

One update: googling got me nowhere... Even on the Homelink site, all I see is what is in the doc... nothing more detailed and nothing about the new option.

For the record, I did search google and all manuals — Tesla and Homelink — before starting this thread asking for help. There is no info on the transmit mode. Now, you can search that in quotes and it and does return one hit ... this thread.

For the record, I did search google and all manuals — Tesla and Homelink — before starting this thread asking for help. There is no info on the transmit mode. Now, you can search that in quotes and it and does return one hit ... this thread.
Thanks for checking! Glad (I guess) there’s no easy answer!
And, lol, wonderful, we’re out there. :) I’ll see what Tesla has to say when it breaks. I’m dying to see if my faith in Tesla support is better than every other customer support I’ve every tried (which is pretty poor about finding answers we didn’t already know!).

More to come!

Thanks for checking! Glad (I guess) there’s no easy answer!
And, lol, wonderful, we’re out there. :) I’ll see what Tesla has to say when it breaks. I’m dying to see if my faith in Tesla support is better than every other customer support I’ve every tried (which is pretty poor about finding answers we didn’t already know!).

More to come!

Well I have to say in my very recent experience, In an instance where they were unable to immediately rectify my Issue, The customer support person escalated it, I was contacted via phone and email by the same person I spoke to on the phone as promised once a resolution was reached. They definitely don’t seem to be following the typical technical support scripted IfTT responses I haven’t countered from Cable companies and the like.
Perhaps I’ve just been lucky but I think Tesla customer support is awesome.