Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hong Kong Tesla Model S Charging Standard

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Because the information is not directly from Tesla, I don't want to reveal the source. However the source is very involved in EV charging in HK, therefore I consider it to be reliable to a certain extend.
I got no information whether the Tesla wallbox supports 3 phase.

The 10A-40A Wall Connector for Hong Kong / China is now becoming available, in limited quantities.

If you (a) have a car order confirmed, and (b) are ready to quickly do the install, then you can contact Tesla Hong Kong and they will try to help. This is, of course, most relevant for those with orders for signatures, who we are told should start to get their cars next month.

My son was so excited that he dressed for the occasion.

adamwallconnector.png

Last edited:
:smile:
Did they sent you the Wall Connector without any prior notice?

No (although that would have been a nice surprise). They want to get some chargers installed, I guess to make sure that there are no compatibility problems with the local power grid, so are working with early owners. The idea is that if you will be getting your car soon (primarily signatures, or early production), can install a charger easily and quickly, and want it now, then give them a call to see if you can get involved to help them verify everything is ok as early as possible. The key points here are that you must (a) be able to install quickly (now) and (b) want to help Tesla out with this.

Post some pics of the unit itself! I'm curious whether it is smaller than the HPWC.

I have a video I'm working on, and will post when ready.

The unit has the same dimensions as the HPWC (from what I can tell). If you look closely at the picture I posted, you can see some white labels stuck under the TESLA on the front. I suspect those cover up "High Powered Wall Connector" wording. Same box.

The cable is lightweight, around 1cm diameter, and ends with a Mennekes style vehicle connector. Selectable charging range is 10A - 40A, in 4 steps (supporting breakers from 16A through 50A). It is labelled for Hong Kong / China markets.

It is very compact and extremely well made. We might have had to wait years for the cars (and this), but we have definitely benefitted from the maturity that has brought. While the Mennekes connector is bigger than the US style proprietary one, it is an industry standard connector that works with industry standard charging equipment, and that is a huge benefit in the long-run.

Overall, I am very very pleased with the unit. It provides a wonderful solution for home charging in Hong Kong, and is free-of-charge with the car. The only issue I have is that placed next to my Tesla Roadster HPC, it makes the roadster unit look like a dinosaur. Battlestar Galactica 1978 vs 2003.

No (although that would have been a nice surprise). They want to get some chargers installed, I guess to make sure that there are no compatibility problems with the local power grid, so are working with early owners. The idea is that if you will be getting your car soon (primarily signatures, or early production), can install a charger easily and quickly, and want it now, then give them a call to see if you can get involved to help them verify everything is ok as early as possible. The key points here are that you must (a) be able to install quickly (now) and (b) want to help Tesla out with this.

I have a video I'm working on, and will post when ready.

The unit has the same dimensions as the HPWC (from what I can tell). If you look closely at the picture I posted, you can see some white labels stuck under the TESLA on the front. I suspect those cover up "High Powered Wall Connector" wording. Same box.

The cable is lightweight, around 1cm diameter, and ends with a Mennekes style vehicle connector. Selectable charging range is 10A - 40A, in 4 steps (supporting breakers from 16A through 50A). It is labelled for Hong Kong / China markets.

It is very compact and extremely well made. We might have had to wait years for the cars (and this), but we have definitely benefitted from the maturity that has brought. While the Mennekes connector is bigger than the US style proprietary one, it is an industry standard connector that works with industry standard charging equipment, and that is a huge benefit in the long-run.

Overall, I am very very pleased with the unit. It provides a wonderful solution for home charging in Hong Kong, and is free-of-charge with the car. The only issue I have is that placed next to my Tesla Roadster HPC, it makes the roadster unit look like a dinosaur. Battlestar Galactica 1978 vs 2003.

I read on the Draft manual that the unit is rated IP44. Any comments on that? I live in an extremely humid part of HK, with water literally running down the exterior wall like a waterfall during spring time. I am a little worried about the waterproof aspect of the charger.

I read on the Draft manual that the unit is rated IP44. Any comments on that? I live in an extremely humid part of HK, with water literally running down the exterior wall like a waterfall during spring time. I am a little worried about the waterproof aspect of the charger.

Seems sealed to me. The unit goes on a mounting plate with a curved top, so there is some isolation from the wall.

Biggest issue would be the electrical cabling going in. You would need to make sure the electrician properly seals that. The unit->car cable is very wall waterproofed.

I too have got the wall connector today, and I spoke with a guy in the tesla service centre called Kenny, he mentioned to me that the wall unit we have are 32A ones (It is also printed on the box label), but in the manual, it states 40A. He suggested that the cable to the car may need to be changed if we are configuring the wall connector to use 40A, anyone have heard about this?

I saw three RHD cars in their showroom, Red P85+, a black one and a white one.

When I asked about the delivery dates, Kenny said it will be early July...

I too have got the wall connector today, and I spoke with a guy in the tesla service centre called Kenny, he mentioned to me that the wall unit we have are 32A ones (It is also printed on the box label), but in the manual, it states 40A. He suggested that the cable to the car may need to be changed if we are configuring the wall connector to use 40A, anyone have heard about this?

I saw three RHD cars in their showroom, Red P85+, a black one and a white one.

When I asked about the delivery dates, Kenny said it will be early July...

Now that's interesting.
I was expecting to use 40A, I wonder if we can get them to give us the new cable on delivery?