Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hong Kong Tesla Model S Charging Standard

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
10A BS 1363 mobile charger

My apology - forgot to post until I saw that thread again.

Available from Tesla for HKD3700. Operate from 6-10A. So far performance very good if you don't mind 7-10km/hr

Attachments

• IMG_20140818_190506.jpg
    IMG_20140818_190506.jpg
    701.6 KB · Views: 653
  • IMG_20140818_190520.jpg
    IMG_20140818_190520.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 718
Sorry folks, the chauffeur didn't go to car park 4 after dropping me off. He think he didn't need it (and yes, indeed). I then lectured him about "opportunity charging" and more importantly a chance to test it out, use it, and tell others the experience of charging at this site. Furthermore, I gave him a long lecture on "how government would install more EVSEs when there are lots of people use public charging". Sigh..

Hi, in a normal 13A socket. I would say it is quite safe as far as the connector is concerned - it was at most warm after 7 or 8 hours charging. Also, it allows you to set the limit on current (max 10A; correspondent rate ~9km/hr) and thus another firewall.

Hi luckylao, 7km per hour is good enough if charge overnight.... do you plug it in normal socket or you install a new one particularly for the car? How hot was it if you charge say overnight? Thanks

Waidy,

The IEC chargers in car park 4 -should- look like this:

View attachment 58083

Expect about 26km per hour of charging.

That said, I don't know of anyone who has used them yet, so please let us know your experience.

A little tricky to operate. Seems you have to press-and-hold the buttons on the EVSE to start power.
Mark, I also think these EVSE are not very user friendly. I tried these EVSE in couple government parkings (Shau Kee Wan, Star Ferry, Rumsey Street and Tin Hau), I can never get it work in first attempt. I have to unplug it (both ends) and press the Start button couple times. Sometimes it works with press & hold the button, but sometimes it doesn't work for no reason.

And I think the worst thing to park at these spots is that you have to move the cones and they are really dirty (my hand are black after touching them). Don't touch your headliner or else they will get stained. Every time I move the cones back to the spot after I am done. Of course, this is better than these spots being ICED.

And I think the worst thing to park at these spots is that you have to move the cones and they are really dirty (my hand are black after touching them). Don't touch your headliner or else they will get stained. Every time I move the cones back to the spot after I am done. Of course, this is better than these spots being ICED.

I have an 'interesting' approach at ocean terminal car park in TST. The spots are coned, with the cones in the middle of the spot.

I drive up in my roadster and roll down my driver's-side window. Then, lean out and pick the cone up, lifting it a couple inches off the ground. I then continue driving forward, holding the cone, into the orange hatched area ahead and drop the cone there. I then reverse into the newly open spot.

Anything to avoid getting in and out of the roadster.

Never tried it in the Model S - I suspect that it might be trickier given the ride height (Roadster is down at cone level).

Is there an adaptor for the type 2 that makes it a B1363?
If you want to charge your Tesla from a B1363 socket, Luckylao pictured the adapter above. I've just resized it here. It's not really an adapter, it's a Portable EVSE (Electric Vehicle Supply Equipment) because it has active circuitry inside and the Mennekes one shown has adjustable current signaling.

Mennekes B1363 EVSE.jpg

If you're talking about the opposite, the ability to plug in a BS1363 appliance into a Type-2 charging station, then no, there isn't.

Since the ChaDeMo dropped from 1000 to 450 USD, and it still says "Coming Soon" Shop Tesla Gear CHAdeMO Adapter , I wrote in to ask for more information.

Thank you for contacting Tesla Motors. The CHAdeMO adapter is in the final stages of development and testing, however a delivery date has not yet been determined for our customers in Hong Kong. Your name has been added to the waitlist and we will contact you as soon as it is available.

Please let us know if you have any questions.

(my emphasis in the quote)

I realise there are hardly any ChaDeMo charging stations in Hong Kong yet, though I predict there will be. For destination charging, like in a shopping mall or other venue you only typically stay for a few hours, it would work across most brands of electric cars and motorcycles - and a great alternative to a supercharger (seen from the shopping mall perspective). Rather than offer free parking for EVs, they could simply make the charging discounted or even included in whatever parking fee there is already.

Priced around 3,500 HKD (if prices follow US prices), for me that would be a must-have, hence I am now on the waiting list.

OK, so there are 1000+ BS1363 13A/220V charging spots, which 1) requires another 3700 HKD to get an adapter and 2) they are awfully slow, charging about 150 meters pr minute - not much faster than walking and surely slower than running.

Anyway, what will it be - for Hong Kong?

ChaDeMo, CCS, three phase AC, which we will see as the upcoming standard for fast charging (apart from superchargers)?

I was reading about ChaDeMo - oh there is as much for and against as there is for and against democracy in Hong Kong.

Price for a ChaDeMo charger seems to be down to about 15,000 USD, add installation cost to that. I even heard some mention 10,000 USD, though I cannot find reference to that. It's not like something you just buy on eBay or Craigslist, so prices are not that transparent. In the OpenChargeMap - let's make it better! thread it was drifting a bit into charging standards, so I moved my post over here.

I don't care too much what charging standard will win. VHS won over Betamax and Video 2000 (but was then beaten by CDs, that had just beat VideoDisks, and all were then beaten by DVD which now ... has been more or less taken over by online streaming).

What I do care about is how many charging cables I need in my trunk. How difficult it is to connect and disconnect, how fast it is, and how annoying the payment/activation process is. And of course, how reliable and safe it is. Superchargers would be fine, if there were enough of them, and if they worked for most EVs. So far, no other EV manufacturer has taken up the offer from Tesla Motors to join.

So we need to find a lesser product than the superchargers, yet good enough to become a standard. As DOS won over CP/M and VHS won over Betamax, it is often not the superior standard that wins, but the one with most dollars, power and/or luck to back it.

So which one is better? ChaDeMo is already out there, but is it ready for the future? It's proven to be reliable and safe, and has all kinds of safety features built into it.

It needs to get cheaper, and competition between ChaDeMo suppliers will help on that account, as will competition from other upcoming standards, like CCS and new variations of J1772 etc.

Nissan 44 kW ChaDeMo, retailing for 15,500 USD Nissan Quick Charger - CHAdeMO DC Fast Charging for Electric Vehicles - then add shipping, installation etc. Here is another one, or is it the same? Public Electric Vehicle DC Fast Charge Stations : EV Solutions

In fact, there are a lot of certified ChaDeMo chargers - CHAdeMO - CHAdeMO Chargers - hopefully, price will go down sufficiently so that a lot can be installed.

DC or AC, for EVs to be successful in a place like Hong Kong, we need a lot more fast chargers. Tesla Motors offer a destination charging program where they will offer Wall Chargers for free on certain conditions - one of them being that the place they are installed pay for the installation, and that there is some kind of public access to them, or at least for a large group of people.

Price has to come down to a level where it becomes attractive to install it, so the combined cost of installation and electricity cost is reasonable and can be recovered from customers (eventually).

Last edited:
Tried an interesting charger today. Not with a Tesla, but another EV.
A 50kW ChaDeMo / CCS combo made by ABB. It's in the Tak Long Estate (at Kai Tak) carpark, 1st floor.
Managed by CLP but not yet listed on their website.
Charging is free and with parking at $12/h it's as good as a Supercharger elsewhere. Just hope Tesla will release the ChaDeMo adapter soon.
PS: Entered it on the Openchargemap already.

Tried an interesting charger today. Not with a Tesla, but another EV.
A 50kW ChaDeMo / CCS combo made by ABB. It's in the Tak Long Estate (at Kai Tak) carpark, 1st floor.
Managed by CLP but not yet listed on their website.
Charging is free and with parking at $12/h it's as good as a Supercharger elsewhere. Just hope Tesla will release the ChaDeMo adapter soon.
PS: Entered it on the Openchargemap already.

Good boy, Vmax :tongue: !

I don't think charging EVs will be free much longer, though - while it is, we might as well use it. That close to the supercharger, they would have quite some competition, at least with Tesla Model S (except the 60 / Non-SC obviously)

In the US, or rather, if you have a US address, you can order a J1772 adapter:

Tesla Gear Shop SAE J1772

95 USD in the Tesla Store.

Something tells me this would NOT work on a HK spec Model S, right?

It seems it has been available in the US for more than 2 years: #5

I am pretty sure the HK spec Model S uses the "Type2" 3-phase compatible socket on the car, not the US spec Tesla proprietary socket. So the US "Type 1" (J1772) adapter will not work.

However, you can buy a "Type1 to Type2" cable to plug a HK spec Model S into a Type 1 (J1772) charging station.

GSP

Last edited:
I am pretty sure the HK spec Model S uses the "Type2" 3-phase compatible socket on the car, not the US spec Tesla proprietary socket. So the US "Type 1" (J1772) adapter will not work.

However, you can buy a "Type1 to Type2". cable to plug a HK spec Model S into a Type 1 (J1772) charging station.

GSP

I am not sure I understand this - how would this fit the Model S?