Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hood gap/dent

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi! I have a problem on my new m3p. It looks like my car has been in a fight and got a punch in her face. Been at SC today and they told me it’s up to spec and doesn’t do anything about it. I also got a different color on my rear bumper. It was ok to they said. Strange for a car in that price range. Someone got help from Tesla with at problem like mine? Sorry my English I’m from Sweden:)

Attachments

• 986222A1-DF0B-45E4-82EA-FBB1287DF959.jpeg
    986222A1-DF0B-45E4-82EA-FBB1287DF959.jpeg
    566 KB · Views: 188
  • EE6F381D-4F4C-48A7-8726-4D3FA42B0BA2.jpeg
    EE6F381D-4F4C-48A7-8726-4D3FA42B0BA2.jpeg
    507.4 KB · Views: 152
  • 1BD00DD7-AC82-4594-BB5A-4043B3077232.jpeg
    1BD00DD7-AC82-4594-BB5A-4043B3077232.jpeg
    477.1 KB · Views: 148
Hood isn’t ideal but I’m not surprised that T considers it to be within spec—that bumper though, that’s horrendous! Make them fix the bumper and agree to live with the hood. Good luck. Welcome to the Tesla family.

Neither the hood shape nor the rear bumper color are acceptable. That’s a service center being lazy. I had a hood that was the opposite: mine was bent upwards where yours is bent down. Had Tesla fix it; the hood shape now perfectly curves along the bumper.

Get that rear bumper color fixed as well. If a service rep isn't seeing the obvious color mismatch, ask to speak to someone with better vision.

My hood was like that too but not as bad. I unscrewed the rubber stoppers on the inside of the hood a bit to lift that side up when closed but the center is still caved in very slightly. Your sides look even though so maybe that's not an option but I would definitely keep complaining about that bumper paint.

My hood was like that too but not as bad. I unscrewed the rubber stoppers on the inside of the hood a bit to lift that side up when closed but the center is still caved in very slightly. Your sides look even though so maybe that's not an option but I would definitely keep complaining about that bumper paint.

The latch in the middle raises and lowers the hood. Pull the plastic cover off and you will see two bolts. Loosen them and you can move the latch up and down. Tighten them where you want it. The rubber stops on the sides adjust angle but can't go higher than the latch.

I dropped my car off at a body shop this week to get some scratches caused by a boat trailer fixed. Guy inspecting the car walks around the front and then the rear with a funny look on his face. He says the bumpers don't match the body! I always thought they were a slightly different shade of white, but I wrote it off as my imagination. Guess it wasn't and this is not an isolated issue. But my rear bumper is nowhere near as off as the op's. That is terrible. Get that fixed. It would drive me nuts.

At least my front bumper will now match the body. :)

Tesla needs to do better for you. I don't think your asking for too much to have that fixed.
The hood and fender gap is only an adjustment, but the rear bumper should be repainted by Tesla approved body shop.
If the color mismatch shows up this clearly on a photo, it certainly isn't acceptable.

Take photos of other white M3's with "matching" bumpers. This will help your case and show Tesla (and a judge if needed) that it's not "normal".
Good luck!

Reactions: zhu-
I took mine in for some adjustments to the passenger side trim and my hood is a bit off on one side. I dropped it off yesterday and should have it back today. I would say push on it, you don't drop that kind of cash on a car and be satisfied with it being so so. I told them I was probably being a little nit picky and the lady that helped me said that it was perfectly fine to bring it in. I've only had it 2 weeks, so I just sent it in via the app and then they scheduled the appointment to fix my issues.