Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hope everyone’s Sunday is going better than ours

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We got rear-ended a few miles from home. I think I’m ok, but my wife came off a little worse. She bumped her head on the dash so we’re having her checked out.

Not sure if this is write-off territory, but hoping for a quick resolution whatever route insurance company decides.

IMG_0467.jpeg

i would hope for a total. if they go the repair route it prob won't be same again and now there is mark on the vehicle history which will affect resale value. curious how wife bumped her head on the dash. was she not wearing a seatbelt? anyway, keep on the lookout for symptoms as it could be delayed after a collision.

Reactions: Pianewman
i would hope for a total. if they go the repair route it prob won't be same again and now there is mark on the vehicle history which will affect resale value. curious how wife bumped her head on the dash. was she not wearing a seatbelt? anyway, keep on the lookout for symptoms as it could be delayed after a collision.
She was wearing her seatbelt. Mine locked when we were hit, but hers did not. Emotionally attached to my MY, but at this point I almost hope it's totaled.

Reactions: Scubamikey
ouch...i thought seat belts were supposed to stop forward motion but i guess this being a rear end collision it might act differently. might want to have the seat belt inspected to make sure it functions properly if they go the repair route. it would be lot more than a bump if it was a front end collision and seat belt didn't lock.

Reactions: Pianewman
I suspect it will be totaled. A lot of structural components probably deformed in order to absorb the impact energy.

The first estimate will include only the visible damage. Once the body shop orders and receives those pieces (can be a long delay) they start removing the skin. Then they discover more extensive damage. When the full extent of the damage is discovered they finally total the car.

Regardless of who's at fault. if the totaled vehicle appraised value today is at X amount of dollars, this is what insurance will pay.
Is that incorrect?
…. Or they will have to replace the vehicle with an identical comparison. So, take a look at MY very close to yours, and see what the go for. If the cost is more what the insurance offers, make them buy you a replacement. I am speaking from experience , they decided to pay for the repairs, as they did not wanted to find me a replacement vehicle. Repair costs were $25k. Was a MB Sprinter van.

If totaled OP will recieve from insurance company a check to replace his car. Will usually pay what his make/model is being advertised for on internet through dealerships and private parties.
Will also recieve tax & registration fees, so he can purchase an equilivant car to replace his.

With current new pricing, and tax credits it probably will be financially good to just purchase a new one.

Damage looks to be mostly to hatch and bumper. Might also be a relatively inexpensive fix.

Reactions: explosive0
If totaled OP will recieve from insurance company a check to replace his car. Will usually pay what his make/model is being advertised for on internet through dealerships and private parties.
Will also recieve tax & registration fees, so he can purchase an equilivant car to replace his.

With current new pricing, and tax credits it probably will be financially good to just purchase a new one.

Damage looks to be mostly to hatch and bumper. Might also be a relatively inexpensive fix.
Probably not totaled. Hope the wife is okay.
I'll keep the group posted once I have it sorted out with insurance. GEICO (my insurance) is reaching out to insurance of the at-fault party.