Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hoping my MS lasts longer than my Tesla mug did

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The handle snapped off my Tesla mug this morning (part of the swag I got on delivery 6 weeks ago).
Shame, it was a nice mug. :(

Hopefully not a sign of other Tesla problems to come.

View attachment 201868[/QUOT
of the swag I got on delivery 6 weeks ago).

View attachment 201868[/QUOTE]

This has been one of the more common problems when the V8 update is installed...

I have the same mug. I use it all the time and have not had a problem. Although others have had the same problem as you, the fact that yours broke and mine has not makes it clear to me that you have done something to your mug to cause it to fail.

Since this is clearly not an emergency, I'm certain you will be able to get an appointment in 4-6 weeks for a repair. When you arrive, a loaner mug will likely be unavailable since, obviously, they will have no idea the damage to yours was so extensive, so you will be re-scheduled for a time they have a loaner mug available. Your loaner mug will likely be an older model without a handle or other features you're used to. The first time you get your mug back, it will look the same as when you brought it in as they weren't able to identify that there was anything wrong, however don't worry, the next time you'll be afforded the opportunity to point out your concern with enough detail that they are able to find the problem.

If your repaired mug comes back with a crack in the bottom, obviously they weren't the ones that caused this, although they'll make an exception just this once to repair it even though they aren't at fault. You'll need to continue using your loaner mug while this happens. Of course if your loaner mug is sold while you're using it, it will need to be swapped out whenever convenient.

[Editor's note: This was oddly therapeutic.]

I need some help with this decision I'm facing right now. I'm kind of teetering on the fence because I've really coveted a Model S for a long time now and really want the free supercharging for life, but I don't know if I should go ahead and order now or wait until they come out with the new larger capacity mug with Handle 2.0, it's really screwing up my sleep at night. What do you guys think? Do you think they'll have the new mug available before the end of the year?

I need some help with this decision I'm facing right now. I'm kind of teetering on the fence because I've really coveted a Model S for a long time now and really want the free supercharging for life, but I don't know if I should go ahead and order now or wait until they come out with the new larger capacity mug with Handle 2.0, it's really screwing up my sleep at night. What do you guys think? Do you think they'll have the new mug available before the end of the year?

Don't be one of those cheapskates that never make coffee at home. Even though Tesla advertised free coffee for life, they intended it to be for road trips!

Was the cup half full, half empty, or at 50% of its rated capacity at the time of the incident?

If it was at 50%, a "Goodwill" repair can be extended to you.

Please complete the following:

GOODWILL AGREEMENT & RELEASE

CUSTOMER INFORMATION

Name:

Address:

Telephone:

VEHICLE INFORMATION

Make: TESLA Model: Model S Year: VIN:

Ref:

Tesla Motors, Inc., including its affiliates, (we, us, our, Tesla) highly values you as our customer (you, your). We are redefining the vehicle ownership experience and set extremely high standards for customer satisfaction. Pursuant to the terms in this agreement, we are extending a gesture of goodwill in providing you with parts, services or other compensation as described here (“Goodwill”):

The Goodwill is being provided to you without any admission of liability or wrongdoing or acceptance of any facts by Tesla, and shall not be treated as or considered evidence of Tesla’s liability with respect to any claim or incidents. You agree to keep confidential our provision of the Goodwill, the terms of this agreement and the incidents or claims leading or related to our provision of the Goodwill. In accepting the Goodwill, you hereby release and discharge Tesla and related persons or entities from any and all claims or damages arising out of or in any way connected with any claims or incidents leading or related to our provision of the Goodwill. You further agree that you will not commence, participate or voluntarily aid in any action at law or in equity or any legal proceeding against Tesla or related persons or entities based upon facts related to the claims or incidents leading to or related to this Goodwill.

IN WITNESS WHEREOF, the parties have executed this agreement as of the last date below.

CUSTOMER:

TESLA:

Signature

The handle snapped off my Tesla mug this morning (part of the swag I got on delivery 6 weeks ago).

View attachment 201868

This is a common problem of mugs with Luda mode enabled. The handle obviously cannot handle the handling speed. Also, its a shame Tesla relied on passive air cooling on such apparatus frequently subjected to sudden heat fluctuations.

IMG_1776.JPG

View attachment 201868
Looks like your Tesla mug lasted longer than my Tesla hat... the threading in the logo has come out after only 3 weeks of ownership. My falcon wing doors on MX lasted longer than my hat before having problems..

I had the exact same mug and it failed in the same way within 3 weeks of use.
I urge you to report this to NHTSA (National Heat Tempered Sipping Authority) because they can track the exact details of where the clay was sourced and perhaps discover that the clay from a certain location is causing failures of ceramics beyond just mugs. It's very import...so much so that I took it upon myself to report this for you, because failures of this sort are being covered up by Big Clay all the time. You don't want to be sitting on a toilet sourced from the same location as these failing mugs do you?