Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
. You would expect the service to be phenomenal, if not on par with most luxury vehicles out on the market but the difference is substantially lacking

Why?

Storytime: We picked up our new Model Y in Brooklyn and was extremely excited, but upon the inspection noticed that there was some minor issues on the exterior of the car. I noticed there was smudges on the hood/side of the car and the sales associate saw me meticulously checking so she came over with a rag and started wiping the car, explaining that the car just got detailed and "don't worry about it". Upon this interaction, she mentioned she'll give us another minute or two to inspect the vehicle before setting up everything and handing the key cards to us. I also noticed that the car plates were already installed, whilst another couple's sale associate was installing it during their inspection. This already felt like a red flag to me so I was trying to inspect the car carefully, but the process was so quick that all of a sudden we were setting up everything inside the car. The attention to detail was evidently lacking-- the sales associate misread my husband's name a few times and even set it up wrong in our car, which I finally corrected her for and then she still proceeded to say his name wrong throughout the experience 😒 The name isn't even hard... literally a regular English name...
She came over with a rag and mispronounced your husbands name (which you neglect to say what it is).

See how much shorter I can say if and see how trifling it seems to complain about it when you shorten it up?

During the inspection, I did also mention that the car wheels and side doors were dirty and she didn't have much to comment on it since another department details the car and sends it over to them... I would think that they would check everything before just handing the car over to the owners? Another thing to note is that the car only had one paper car mat in the driver's side, but she was sitting in the passenger side and obviously stepping on the floor during the inspection and didn't bother to put another one there. I basically had to ask her for another one before she drove the vehicle out of the garage for us. She ended up taking a paper place mat from another vehicle and mentioned that they usually come with one... I don't know if this is a policy, but sounds to me like carelessness or just being cheap...

Upon leaving the garage, I immediately noticed that the car dashboard is extremely dusty/dirty. I was already annoyed by the entire experience and attributed it to the fact that Tesla focuses on the technology and not the luxury experience that most car dealerships provide and tried to keep a positive mindset. However, it was also clear to me that the car was not detailed and definitely not inspected prior to handing it off to us-- I ended up finding hair in the cup holders, random scratches in the interior, and the left panel was broken near the hazard lights. There was also spider webs in the rear doors, like wtf?? In addition, the key cards that she gave us was also scratched up... 😑 That's when I started to feel extremely frustrated. We just paid 60K+, but did not have the "new car" experience. Later on in the day, someone who knows more about cars happened to see our brand new Tesla Y and pointed out that there was a dent on the driver side of the car... Can this get any worse? Spoiler, YUP 😓
Reject delivery…

Looks like it got ding during transportation, Tesla should fix it without issue. But this is brand new car already has license plate?

I think it got ding by one of the employee moving these cars around in the lot. Its not just the ding, some part of the inner panels are not fully painted blue. You can tell it was a quick paint job or rush going thru their production line. Also inside has a good amount of "plastic wrapping" left over. Also the corner of the doors. Theres some sticky residue from the windows too. Yea yea, I know. You can clean it easily yourself. I know, no big deal. We expected it already to detail the car when we get home. This is my buddy's 2nd Tesla. He has a M3. So he knows all about Tesla and their QC. I owned 2 MY myself. I help 3 other of my buddy's with inspection too. We are not hard to work with. We kinda accepted how Tesla does things. But come on, whoever prep the car, can u just spend another minute or two opening your eyes to see if this was your brand new car, can u just do a little bit better at removing the plastic stuff and cleaning the windows. lol. Or just have another guy to do a final walkthru before letting the customer see the cars! One more minute and the car will be much presentable. IMO.

the ding was a big deal to my buddy or anyone. I know, someone can fix it easily. But do you trust bringing your car in again and letting these guys work on it and find another ding or two. Happened to my first MY in service. Came back with 2 new dings from a panel gap adjustment. I told myself, next Tesla, if something minor... F it. Don't let them touch it if its minor.

Also, someone adjusted the passenger's door. U can see from the door hinge and the NUT/screw. I have a feeling this was someone reject.

Oh yea, If you look under the rear end underbody plastic covers....it has a good amount of deep scratches / road rashes. Liked someone drove up a steep hill and scratched it. I told my buddy about it, its up to him to document it so they should replace it.

at the end, the price he was locked in was too good to pass on it. its about 10k cheaper than today price. And Tesla know this. We were just surprised he was "force" to take it. Even tho its his first VIN. We thought he might have one more opportunity to see another VIN. But guess not, its the last day of the quarter. lol

BTW. Before we got there, the employee already prep all the license plate and window registration on. So they pretty much set the car so u can't back out. lol. My other 2 MY, I had a chance to inspect the car and then accept. Then put on the plate and reg on the window. Not yesterday! These guys are not wasting anymore time, take it or leave it! Or next person will. haha

Last edited:
First impressions matter. My experience has generally been fine but nothing exceptional. Service is below my expectations having only owned Lexus, BMW, and Mercedes before that. Basically how I feel about my entire ownership is that its an average vehicle that goes in a straight line fast. So basically no loyalty on my end. The Tesla experience has been enough to convert me to EV. But the experience has also been enough for me to know my next EV will not be a Tesla. Have another EV from a different brand scheduled for October. And then we will see how my Rivian R1S order goes in 2023 (my assumption is it will be even worse than Tesla given how young the company is so may cancel that order). But my plan is for my 2022 MYP to be the shortest ownership ever of about 8 months (and I’ve never leased before but only purchased cars and usually kept them for 4+ years).

haha. If you can ignore all the little thing on delivery day or have a good delivery day...Tesla still has the best product and years ahead. IMO.

I am very happy with my 2022 MYP. Will I buy again, hell yea. No other cars can bring that smile in my face every time I get in. Until that happen, Tesla can take my money.

Reactions: Bouba
I think it got ding by one of the employee moving these cars around in the lot. Its not just the ding, some part of the inner panels are not fully painted blue. You can tell it was a quick paint job or rush going thru their production line. Also inside has a good amount of "plastic wrapping" left over. Also the corner of the doors. Theres some sticky residue from the windows too. Yea yea, I know. You can clean it easily yourself. I know, no big deal. We expected it already to detail the car when we get home. This is my buddy's 2nd Tesla. He has a M3. So he knows all about Tesla and their QC. I owned 2 MY myself. I help 3 other of my buddy's with inspection too. We are not hard to work with. We kinda accepted how Tesla does things. But come on, whoever prep the car, can u just spend another minute or two opening your eyes to see if this was your brand new car, can u just do a little bit better at removing the plastic stuff and cleaning the windows. lol. Or just have another guy to do a final walkthru before letting the customer see the cars! One more minute and the car will be much presentable. IMO.

the ding was a big deal to my buddy or anyone. I know, someone can fix it easily. But do you trust bringing your car in again and letting these guys work on it and find another ding or two. Happened to my first MY in service. Came back with 2 new dings from a panel gap adjustment. I told myself, next Tesla, if something minor... F it. Don't let them touch it if its minor.

Also, someone adjusted the passenger's door. U can see from the door hinge and the NUT/screw. I have a feeling this was someone reject.

Oh yea, If you look under the rear end underbody plastic covers....it has a good amount of deep scratches / road rashes. Liked someone drove up a steep hill and scratched it. I told my buddy about it, its up to him to document it so they should replace it.

at the end, the price he was locked in was too good to pass on it. its about 10k cheaper than today price. And Tesla know this. We were just surprised he was "force" to take it. Even tho its his first VIN. We thought he might have one more opportunity to see another VIN. But guess not, its the last day of the quarter. lol

BTW. Before we got there, the employee already prep all the license plate and window registration on. So they pretty much set the car so u can't back out. lol. My other 2 MY, I had a chance to inspect the car and then accept. Then put on the plate and reg on the window. Not yesterday! These guys are not wasting anymore time, take it or leave it! Or next person will. haha
I agree, that does look bad. I bought 4 Model Y (1 MYLR, 1 MYLR7, 2 MYP) since November 2021 and all of them were perfect, but granted I never did pick up during EOQ push. I could see how SAs just rushed through the process. Hope Tesla did right by your friend and fix everything!

Hello TMC, I was so frustrated with my recent experience with my brand new 2022 Model Y that I decided to join this community so no one else has to go through what we went through and also ask for advice on what I should do. Disclaimer: We love Tesla and everything that it stands for, but extremely disappointed by the quality and customer service. You would expect the service to be phenomenal, if not on par with most luxury vehicles out on the market but the difference is substantially lacking.

Storytime: We picked up our new Model Y in Brooklyn and was extremely excited, but upon the inspection noticed that there was some minor issues on the exterior of the car. I noticed there was smudges on the hood/side of the car and the sales associate saw me meticulously checking so she came over with a rag and started wiping the car, explaining that the car just got detailed and "don't worry about it". Upon this interaction, she mentioned she'll give us another minute or two to inspect the vehicle before setting up everything and handing the key cards to us. I also noticed that the car plates were already installed, whilst another couple's sale associate was installing it during their inspection. This already felt like a red flag to me so I was trying to inspect the car carefully, but the process was so quick that all of a sudden we were setting up everything inside the car. The attention to detail was evidently lacking-- the sales associate misread my husband's name a few times and even set it up wrong in our car, which I finally corrected her for and then she still proceeded to say his name wrong throughout the experience 😒 The name isn't even hard... literally a regular English name...

During the inspection, I did also mention that the car wheels and side doors were dirty and she didn't have much to comment on it since another department details the car and sends it over to them... I would think that they would check everything before just handing the car over to the owners? Another thing to note is that the car only had one paper car mat in the driver's side, but she was sitting in the passenger side and obviously stepping on the floor during the inspection and didn't bother to put another one there. I basically had to ask her for another one before she drove the vehicle out of the garage for us. She ended up taking a paper place mat from another vehicle and mentioned that they usually come with one... I don't know if this is a policy, but sounds to me like carelessness or just being cheap...

Upon leaving the garage, I immediately noticed that the car dashboard is extremely dusty/dirty. I was already annoyed by the entire experience and attributed it to the fact that Tesla focuses on the technology and not the luxury experience that most car dealerships provide and tried to keep a positive mindset. However, it was also clear to me that the car was not detailed and definitely not inspected prior to handing it off to us-- I ended up finding hair in the cup holders, random scratches in the interior, and the left panel was broken near the hazard lights. There was also spider webs in the rear doors, like wtf?? In addition, the key cards that she gave us was also scratched up... 😑 That's when I started to feel extremely frustrated. We just paid 60K+, but did not have the "new car" experience. Later on in the day, someone who knows more about cars happened to see our brand new Tesla Y and pointed out that there was a dent on the driver side of the car... Can this get any worse? Spoiler, YUP 😓

We ended up going back to the Tesla center and an associate inspected the vehicle, took photos of the dent, and apologized for the horrible experience we had. They both explained that this is a one-off situation and would have the service team fix the dent and give us a credit for detailing. So far there's just a bunch of going back and forth and sending in photos for the issues, which I had to adamantly follow up on. Tesla asked for more photos and that's when I noticed that my rear door was bulging out slightly, thinking I left my door open, but nope. The door isn't aligned correctly so it can't properly close all the way. Upon further inspection, I realized that there is uneven gaps between panels in the trunk area and basically the entire backside of the car is not aligned properly. All this has been documented and provided to the original associate assisting up, but he has handed our issues over to someone else.

We just received a call from her today and she mentioned that she would need more photos of the dent. When we brought the car in, the associate took photos and we have sent in images, plus a video which clearly indicates the dent. And now she wants more photos? At this point, I feel like they're just pushing it off and wasting my time. We also brought up the issues with the gaps and our door not closing properly, but read online that other issues can arise from getting this fixed. Her advice was practically saying that what we read online is true and it's up to us if we want to get it fixed. What would you guys advise in regards to this situation? Is it worth it to get it fixed? Is it possible to just get a brand new vehicle? Has anyone else ever experienced something like this?

I hope no one else experiences this and make sure you meticulously check everything in daylight before signing any paperwork!!!😭
This is possibly the most absurd post I’ve ever seen.. your issues with lack of a paper floor mat and some dust is almost comical.. and you keep saying luxury vehicle but seem to have forgotten that you didn’t purchase teslas luxury vehicle.. you purchased their ECONOMY vehicle.. I agree with the first person to respond to this thread you seem like your just the kind of person who isn’t going to be happy with anything

no one said they are trying to bash Tesla cars intentionally. We all know they are complaining about their cars with issues. It is just seeing the same issues and almost most of them say Tesla is the worst and they couldn't believe it happened to their $60k-$70k cars, but the reality is that that happens to all cars from all manufacturers.
I'm sure it happens to all manufacturers but not nearly as much as Tesla. It's kind of a running joke with this brand.

just talking EV... I tried the ID4, machE. Seen a ton of other youtube EV videos. I know what I want in my car. None of them check all my boxes beside the MYP. For 64k, I'll still take the MYP over them. For 70k, it pushing me away tho. In my case, I got the LR MY for low 50 and sold it for 62. Got some incentives too so it wasn't that much more to upgrade.

I want to try out the i5, EV6 and the new GV60. Maybe they will change my mind. Ok, not the i5 or EV6. The GV60 might. But at the end, I still prefer Tesla SC and their AP. We c in a couple more years.....

I agree, that does look bad. I bought 4 Model Y (1 MYLR, 1 MYLR7, 2 MYP) since November 2021 and all of them were perfect, but granted I never did pick up during EOQ push. I could see how SAs just rushed through the process. Hope Tesla did right by your friend and fix everything!

my buddy is easy. he has 2 kids and sharing the car with the wife. So he knows in a few weeks, the car won't be perfect anymore. Im not sure what he is going to do. I'll let him decide and stay out. Not my car, I just did my part in calling out what I see.

again, we were just shock he didn't get another VIN. thats all. He was going to pay up no matter what bc he loves the M3 and knows what he's getting on the MY.

I'll trade your lack of a second piece of paper for a normal backseat.

Attachments

• 20220629_101304.jpg
    20220629_101304.jpg
    275.6 KB · Views: 97
  • Funny
Reactions: jawnly211 and Bouba
First time on this forum and I’m pretty shocked by the unsupportive responses. I have my first Tesla on order (long time BMW driver) so I’m not speaking from personal experience with the brand … just personal experience reading this thread.

I can’t believe any of you would be satisfied with this sort of delivery experience. It does matter how humans are treated and the product they’re expected to accept. Treat me like this and attempt to deliver a banged up unclean product and I’ll go buy my EV somewhere else. Let’s get over the fanboy hype and expect to receive a perfect product with a good delivery experience to go with it. Just make me feel like I matter for 20 minutes. Not too much to ask.

OP - You’re right to expect more. I’d tell them to fix the door and whatever resulting problems occur and if that can’t be figured out I’d pursue it as a lemon. Every time you go in I’d correct their pronunciation or spelling of your name at every misstep until they get it right or feel awful about not being able to handle it. It’s your name and they should care enough.

As for the rest of you, put away your internet muscles and realize this is a *sugar* experience regardless of the amount paid for the car.

Reactions: sleepydoc and TSLY
Well there is a car shortage out there…so it isn’t exactly easy to just get out of your car…heck even get a tesla. For a commuter car that goes fast in a straight line, its fitting the bill for me for now. There are definitely innovations I like that the others aren’t doing. But now that the MYP is ~$70k (I paid $64k) I probably would also take pause on ordering one knowing some of the design issues I have with the vehicle. I basically think in the end I probably would have been happier w/ a non plaid S or X but with those price hikes, the competitive set changes further (EV or ICE).

Reactions: Dcam and sleepydoc
Expectations for GM is much much lower than Tesla. That's why... LOL :cool:
...and yet the 'Tesla experience' is routinely worse than the GM one.
Hey Doc, you seem to be generally unhappy with Tesla service (at least from what I'm able to tell reading forum posts). May I know which MN service center you tend to deal with? I've had a couple of visits to the Maplewood SC (for spoiler re-attach and looking up a part) and to me they seem to want to provide good service. Of course I haven't had any real issues for them to work on so far, so maybe it would be different if I had some bigger issues to be taken care of.

My delivery process with the Maplewood SC was pretty good. The SA pro-actively called me about a "paint issue" prior to delivery and kept me up to date fairly well. She also noted my request to not have the front plate mounting bracket installed (I use a Quick-Bandit). My car was delivered to my house so I didn't interact with anyone for the actual delivery. So my general impression with Tesla service has been good so far. Hopefully it'll remain that way.
Thanks for the tip. I've actually had good service from the Minneapolis (actually Eden Prarie) and Rogers. I've only had 2 visits; once to fix the driver's power seat and the other was to replace the heat pump. My delivery was brief, but it was summer of 2020 and everyone was avoiding everyone so it's all I expected and could expect at the time and there were no quality issues with my car. So I'm not unhappy with the service I've received but it bothers me to see the repeated stories of pretty abysmal service. More than that, it bothers and bewilders me to see people try to defend the practice and then bash people who have the gall to complain about poor service.
PDR guys can fix this ding in about 5 mins.
True, but that should be done before delivery, not after, nor should they force a customer to accept a damaged car.
One thing to note on the dirty/dusty dashboard. I noticed that MY/M3 dashboard can collect dust really quick. I washed the car inside and out spotless yesterday and let the door open to dry. After about 20 minutes, I noticed very noticeable amount of dust all over the dashboard. It was windy day and the way the dashboard and windshield designed can catch the kicked up dirt/dust fairly easily.
I got the impression from the OP that is was not a small amount of dust, rather that it hadn't been cleaned since it left the factory.
no one said they are trying to bash Tesla cars intentionally. We all know they are complaining about their cars with issues. It is just seeing the same issues and almost most of them say Tesla is the worst and they couldn't believe it happened to their $60k-$70k cars, but the reality is that that happens to all cars from all manufacturers.
it is tiring to see the same complaints over and over again
I think people need to turn that around - maybe the fact that we keep seeing these complaints over and over again isn't about the people making the complaints but about Tesla. The question I have is why do some people feel compelled to defend Tesla in cases like this and bash the people making complaints?

Is that how your car arrived?
Yup. The professional approach in my opinion would have been to acknowledge it up front, offer to, or have prescheduled, a service appointment and go from there. Instead, they played dumb and acted like it just happened and nobody noticed it (cause nobody bother looking??). To me hoping nobody notices and it slides by is bush league 'legecy dealership' shenanigans BS. Yet they and all the fanbois claim they are revolutionary and breaking the mold/stereotype. 🙄

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.