Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hotspot instead of Tesla connectivity

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No I believe it's a dual 2.4/5 GHz antenna that is poor quality and has a long cable run to the wifi module which attenuates the signal. The 5 GHz signal has already been attenuated more than 2.4 GHz passing through objects so what the wifi module receives is very weak.

To be as bad as the signal is... The antenna and cable run would have to be so poor quality it's beyond belief.

I can use a 10m sma extension cable on a cheap WiFi router and a paper clip for an antenna and get a better signal - yes I've tried.

I just can't assume there is any real attempt to support 5ghz on the car, even incompetence would give a stronger signal.

Isn't the main problem that the wi-fi antenna is outside the car (one of the wing mirrors I believe, although not clear to me which side) and hotspot is inside the car. And with the car being a big metal box, this results in significant signal attenuation....

Isn't the main problem that the wi-fi antenna is outside the car (one of the wing mirrors I believe, although not clear to me which side) and hotspot is inside the car. And with the car being a big metal box, this results in significant signal attenuation....

It's just as bad outside the car, but the wing mirror to inside the car is via the window and WiFi signal strengths are sufficiently high to not cause an issue. And, of course, mobile phone signals works.

You aren't actually fully boxed in with metal.

But let's assume there was an issue, the answer is a second internal antenna - which Tesla didn't fit, so whichever way you look at it, this wasn't designed to work.

It's just as bad outside the car, but the wing mirror to inside the car is via the window and WiFi signal strengths are sufficiently high to not cause an issue. And, of course, mobile phone signals works.
If you have the phone on the charging pad then the signal is having to go through the dashboard, window, mirror glass/motor to get to the antenna. It's not a great set up, and yes it is poor outside too although I've got mine connecting at 5 GHz very time but lowering the 2.4 GHz power level so the 5 GHz signal is the stronger one it receives - but it depends on which side of the driveway I park and in which direction.

To make matters worse I think the power level Tesla uses is quite low, around 11 dBm and the 5 GHz antenna only has a gain of 1 dBm.

Hang on...is that only for UK Teslas ?
So looking at the EPC it seems it is the left mirror (when sitting in the vehicle looking out the windscreen) as that has the extra connector (motor, 4G and wifi, rather than just motor and 4G). There doesn't appear to be different parts codes for EU LHD and RHD so it should be consistent whichever side your steering wheel is on.

1643649621952.png

So looking at the EPC it seems it is the left mirror (when sitting in the vehicle looking out the windscreen) as that has the extra connector (motor, 4G and wifi, rather than just motor and 4G). There doesn't appear to be different parts codes for EU LHD and RHD so it should be consistent whichever side your steering wheel is on.

View attachment 762577
That’s a pity...now I’m going to have to reverse in...

Wifi has some oddities in its propogation in my experience so no matter the actual position of the car's antenna it's well worth experimenting with your car postioning to see which gives the best reception.
The WiFi in my car port is pathetic... but it’s just enough to download all my Tesla upgrades, so I won’t jiggle with it yet...but why you can’t download with Premium Connectivity I will never know

The WiFi in my car port is pathetic... but it’s just enough to download all my Tesla upgrades, so I won’t jiggle with it yet...but why you can’t download with Premium Connectivity I will never know
One car downloading on LTE doesn’t matter but thousands will represent a whole lot of data! In fact in practice software updates will very occasionally come in via LTE but usually not.

If it helps anyone I've just come to the end of my 1 month premium connectivity trial and was dithering about subscribing. I experimented with using WiFi hotspot on my phone using Tasker to start it whenever I got in the car. For me it worked perfectly - phone sits on charge pad, car hopped off home WiFi and connected to hotspot and allowed Spotify to play. I'm going to stick with that.

I still have premium connectivity under first year plan. Car to home WiFi connects automatically. When driving, I use my phone's hotspot to connect my M3LR via WiFi. For me, Waze has the best traffic, cops, and route options so I use the TeslAA app (Android Auto for Tesla) to put Waze on the screen. The app/car is sometimes glitchy but I can use Audible and my Spotify and I stay connected throughout the drive. But every time I get into the car, I have to turn hotspot on my phone, shift into drive, and then turn WiFi on. Any other order and it doesn't work. And once I shift to park, WiFi turns off. I can turn it back on but... Would prefer an automatic solution to turn "turn on hotspot and automatically turn on/connect to Wifi" - i.e., detects bluetooth

Same as:
However, in my car I cannot get it to connect automatically even if I keep my phone's hot spot on permamently. I have to fiddle with the settings every time I get into the car, not ideal on a short trip with several stops but OK I suppose for a long drive as I only have to do it the once.

I still have premium connectivity under first year plan. Car to home WiFi connects automatically. When driving, I use my phone's hotspot to connect my M3LR via WiFi. For me, Waze has the best traffic, cops, and route options so I use the TeslAA app (Android Auto for Tesla) to put Waze on the screen. The app/car is sometimes glitchy but I can use Audible and my Spotify and I stay connected throughout the drive. But every time I get into the car, I have to turn hotspot on my phone, shift into drive, and then turn WiFi on. Any other order and it doesn't work. And once I shift to park, WiFi turns off. I can turn it back on but... Would prefer an automatic solution to turn "turn on hotspot and automatically turn on/connect to Wifi" - i.e., detects bluetooth

Same as:
Tasker on Android will do that for you