Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Houston, Texas - Model Y Deliveries

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
  • Funny
Reactions: vicarine
6B46CC89-09EA-4D7E-9CAD-D2E9D74DEE9C.png206A237E-ACC4-4F3F-A9BA-D0ECA311D4F9.png$399 for XR Black and $599 for XR Plus šŸ¤”

Any Houston owners here take delivery yet? Iā€™m awaiting delivery but am curious what kind of real world range to expect in Houston with our AC running 100% of the time. Any experiences?
your question is vague in that it depends on which Y you are referring to. I took delivery of a MYP end of June and couldnt be happier with my decision. Regardless of MYLR or MYP don't expect to get the Estimated numbers they advertise. You'll be lucky to get 280 in a MYLR in Texas, specifically Houston and I never really let my car get below 20% but I cant imagine getting more than 240-250 miles based on my current driving habits and running AC at 65 with AC fan speed usually around 5-7 at all times. Tint is a must though, cant stress that enough, it really helps inside the cabin. I have tint all around from Windshield, to all 4 windows and rear

I.E - My car estimates ~225 real world miles on a 90% charge currently and usually I'm driving at 70% efficiency on average over a 7 day period. My average energy in Houston is terrible though. I'm using about ~380Wh/mi.

Last edited:
your question is vague in that it depends on which Y you are referring to. I took delivery of a MYP end of June and couldnt be happier with my decision. Regardless of MYLR or MYP don't expect to get the Estimated numbers they advertise. You'll be lucky to get 280 in a MYLR in Texas, specifically Houston and I never really let my car get below 20% but I cant imagine getting more than 240-250 miles based on my current driving habits and running AC at 65 with AC fan speed usually around 5-7 at all times. Tint is a must though, cant stress that enough, it really helps inside the cabin. I have tint all around from Windshield, to all 4 windows and rear

I.E - My car estimates ~225 real world miles on a 90% charge currently and usually I'm driving at 70% efficiency on average over a 7 day period. My average energy in Houston is terrible though. I'm using about ~380Wh/mi.
That's perfect, thank you for the reply. I'm waiting on a MYLR but your real world Houston estimates is exactly what I was looking for. It's been a brutal summer and I couldn't help but wonder what the range would really be.

That's perfect, thank you for the reply. I'm waiting on a MYLR but your real world Houston estimates is exactly what I was looking for. It's been a brutal summer and I couldn't help but wonder what the range would really be.
My guess in MYLR on Gemini 19ā€ wheels the max youā€™ll probably get is 250ish miles. Also keep in mind you probably wonā€™t charge above 90% or go below 20% either so you have to keep that in mind

Last edited:

I get between 320Wh/mi and 420Wh/mi - I guess I was testing acceleration on some of those trips šŸ˜†

Reactions: Triplem086

I averaged 270 and would charge to 80% with a reading of between 235 and 240. I'd be lucky to get 130 miles out of that. Lot of it depends on how long you sit in sentry and how often you pre cool your car. Cabin protection can be a sucker to. Regardless you learn to adapt and charge basically every other day or more depending on your drive.

Xpel Prime XR Plus Window Film 1 XR Plus 70% Front windshield

Xpel Prime XR Window Film 1 XR: 20% Front & 55% Rear windows to perfect match front color, Rear windshield not sure what %

I was expecting 20% to be darker (kind of wish I went darker, but am extremely happy with 20%) you can still see inside the car with 20%. To be fair, anything darker than 20% my wife would not have been happy as she plans to drive my car here and there so visibility with anything lower than 20% on the sides would have been difficult to see at night
no need for apply on sunroof?

Backseat covers look pretty good. I'm not there with it yet as my son's legs are still short but i'm definitely going to add that to the list. I think i might have figured out why the passenger door has issues closing. The bottom black trim under the passenger door is sticking out further than normal. I think the door is catching on it. I tried pressing the trim in hard to see if it would snap back into place but no luck so far. I hope all these issues i'm having are all cosmetic things and all the mechanical stuff is up to spec. View attachment 835254View attachment 835255

While attaching mudguards, discovered plastic pins missing on the bottom :rolleyes: but lucky for me, mudguards came with longer pins so I re-used the ones I took out to replace the missing ones :) I was also able to push in piece of rear bumper that was sticking out šŸ˜… View attachment 835476
View attachment 835478

View attachment 835480

Got mine tinted at Gulf Coast Auto Shield. Also did a ceramic coating and detail from Thomas at Houston Paint Protection. A few pics included.

Hope you all are also loving the car! I canā€™t wait to take my first road trip

Attachments

• AF763280-CB64-4E8A-9868-55BED671DD39.jpeg
    AF763280-CB64-4E8A-9868-55BED671DD39.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 63
  • D14C94C5-988D-481A-B505-EE7CF9F527D3.jpeg
    D14C94C5-988D-481A-B505-EE7CF9F527D3.jpeg
    682 KB · Views: 51
  • 9651E868-6645-4D46-8BA1-064D993B513A.jpeg
    9651E868-6645-4D46-8BA1-064D993B513A.jpeg
    838.1 KB · Views: 45
  • C96F373D-567E-4FC9-8388-92E67673AC8A.jpeg
    C96F373D-567E-4FC9-8388-92E67673AC8A.jpeg
    673.2 KB · Views: 54
  • F385ABFA-1907-490C-AD6F-E257D5CB582D.jpeg
    F385ABFA-1907-490C-AD6F-E257D5CB582D.jpeg
    992.6 KB · Views: 53
Anyone can tell me if its legal to wash car in driveway in TX using 2 bucket method? Or does it depend on the county/HOA :) Don't want to take it to the car wash. We had light sprinkle yesterday and it looks spotty haha joys of having a black car :)
I've never heard of it being illegal. I power wash my cars from time to time and my hoa loves to hand out notices

Reactions: vicarine
I actually saw a video and shared it probably a few pages back, that it does not make difference in temperature inside the car, and might void Tesla warranty due to glass breaking because of excessive heat it absorbs with additional tint.
If anything it slows down the cabin from getting hot. But if the car is out there for anything more than 30 minutes it's not going to make a difference. That's where cabin protection kicks in. But it should help the AC not run as hard. But from my own testing there is a considerable temp difference when I touch the top glass vs my windshield which is tinted. I've been tempted to tint the roof but I'm okay with how it is now but if I was taller with my head almost touching the top, I'd definitely tint it.

If anything it slows down the cabin from getting hot. But if the car is out there for anything more than 30 minutes it's not going to make a difference. That's where cabin protection kicks in. But it should help the AC not run as hard. But from my own testing there is a considerable temp difference when I touch the top glass vs my windshield which is tinted. I've been tempted to tint the roof but I'm okay with how it is now but if I was taller with my head almost touching the top, I'd definitely tint it.
Not according to this video test. It seems that glass absorbs the heat already, and adding more tint would increase the amount of heat absorbed by the glass - this is why it increases the risk of shattering

Not according to this video test. It seems that glass absorbs the heat already, and adding more tint would increase the amount of heat absorbed by the glass - this is why it increases the risk of shattering
Test in the model 3 with tint on the roof was 0, back window was 2. Model Y roof with no tint was a 4. So there is still a difference according to his test? It's blocking better than the side windows and windshield but the tint did decrease the BTU meter considerably. Question is how many degrees is a 4 BTU difference?