Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How’s the Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've had mine 3 weeks, took a 3000 mile trip for long delayed grandkid visit. I like it a lot. It was a comfortable car to drive and sit in for a lot of hours. I had almost nothing wrong with it when I got it (a loose panel in the rear hatch that was fixed immediately), and zero issues on the long drive. I had a MS for 3 years before, and liked it as well. I've had multiple BMW 7s in my adult life for reference purposes, to rebut in advance the 'you've never had a nice car' argument I hear sometimes when people compliment Teslas.

First, glad to hear your enjoying the MY. I’m scheduled for delivery 28 JUL.

I’m quoting as it brings up something from my ownership days of multiple Lexus’s.

“So you were in the $1000 muffin club too”?

^Joke from one of my bankers. You’ll enjoy the service, the food, snack, the attention, the waiting area - but you wont get out of there for less than $1000 at a time.

I've had multiple BMW 7s in my adult life for reference purposes,.

Yeah, love mines. Last year this time, I was probably one of the biggest Tesla haters. Then I walked past a Tesla store and one of the sales guys waved me in and dared me to test drive an M3. The ride blew my socks away. He then told me about the Model Y and from then on was a fan. Took mines home 2 weeks ago. All smiles.

Im really glad to hear you were open to a test drive given your preconceived notions. I wish more would.

Last edited:
First, glad to hear your enjoying the MY. I’m scheduled for delivery 28 JUL.

I’m quoting as it brings up something from my ownership days of multiple Lexus’s.

“So you were in the $1000 muffin club too”?

^Joke from one of my bankers. You’ll enjoy the service, the food, snack, the attention, the waiting area - but you wont get out of there for less than $1000 at a time.

That is right. The local BMW dealership was nice to deal with, and the cars drove great. But, they were really expensive to maintain, in general and in particular when compared to the MS I had. Same for a lot of other nice cars I've had.

I've owned EVs from many manufacturers so have experience and knowledge. You're on a Tesla "club" forum and your negativity is drowned out by positive comments from Model Y owners. I think it's you who needs the help.
Nope. Just advising OP that there is a higher than normal defect and reject rate on these vehicles. Which is an indisputable fact.

Out of curiosity, for what reasons were you a Tesla hater? Serious question, I’d like to know. Also was it as simple as the mind blowing driving experience that changed your mind or were there other things you learned (perhaps previous misconceptions that were corrected) that helped?

Either way congrats on taking delivery of your Y and enjoy!

I've been a car guy my entire life. Had almost the entire spectrum - Audi, BMW, VW, Honda, Acura, even lifted trucks (currently in a sweet Tacoma). Never got a chance to tinker with American muscle though. I always felt a car should be as much about the experience rather than just a place to get from point A to point B. And never could understand how people can drop $50k+ on a car and just leave it out in the sun if they have a chance to pull it in their garage.

I live in the Bay Area so Teslas are a dime a dozen. At a mall supercharger I went up to a guy just hanging around his Model X and started talking about his ride. All he kept saying was how cool the doors were and he just wanted the latest tech. Never once did he mention the drive. His 22" wheels were full of rash. In my neighborhood, I see a bunch of M3s just baking in the sun with no sun shade or tint with bird poop on the hoods. And all the houses around here have enclosed garages. To me, I already had this preconceived notion that a lot of Tesla owners bought the cars solely to be kewl and have a chance to own the next "in" thing.

I guess I always equated EV to a nicer Prius. Boy was I wrong. Glad to be part of the Tesla crew.

Nope. Just advising OP that there is a higher than normal defect and reject rate on these vehicles. Which is an indisputable fact.

The OP wanted to hear from people with actual experience, not trolls who use sensationalist negative language to enforce their opinion. An opinion drowned out by the many happy drivers who are kindly sharing their own thoughts in this thread.

Got my Y finally, [first time Tesla ownership]
Have some fitment issues that need to be fixed, though after driving they don’t seem to matter much ! What a machine Any idea how long EVs maintain their amazing smooth throttle response and regen behavior ? I assume it’s way better retention than ICE vehicles ?

Have some fitment issues that need to be fixed, though after driving they don’t seem to matter much ! What a machine Any idea how long EVs maintain their amazing smooth throttle response and regen behavior ? I assume it’s way better retention than ICE vehicles ?
Welcome to the Club! Note that at 90 - 100% charge you will lose the regen for a while but will slowly regain it back as you drop to 85% and lower. I like to keep mine on Chill mode as not to stress the battery on so call rabbit starts off the light. Also set it to hold mode so that it will stop and hold for you making it a 1 pedal driving. Every once in a while tap on the brakes to keep the rotors clean and shiny. If you are driving city streets set your regen to standard and on highways do soft. Those are my preferences to get more range out of it.

Fred

Hi, on your question about how long it maintains the smooth throttle, etc., I saw zero change in my Model S over more than 3 years of driving until I traded it for the Y a few weeks ago.

• Informative
Reactions: Stochastic
The OP wanted to hear from people with actual experience, not trolls who use sensationalist negative language to enforce their opinion. An opinion drowned out by the many happy drivers who are kindly sharing their own thoughts in this thread.
So you’re saying all those threads and all those videos highlighting major QC issues are not from actual owners? Mmmmkay.

Go bury your head back in the sand.

So you’re saying all those threads and all those videos highlighting major QC issues are not from actual owners? Mmmmkay.

Go bury your head back in the sand.

No I'm well aware of them. But I also know how clickbait and sensationslism works. And the tendency for people to be all too willing to share negative rather than positive experiences. That makes it look like more people have issues than actually do, so let people share their experience on this thread.

Last edited:
No I'm well aware of them. But I also know how clickbait and sensationslism works. And the tendency for people to be all too willing to share negative rather than positive experiences. That makes it look like more people have issues than actually do, so let people share their experience on this thread.

Got it. So you’re an uber-fanboi and while those with negative experiences are all telling the truth, we should only listen to those who have had positive experiences in order to get OP to order a new car and join the cult. Nah.

I've had mine 3 weeks, took a 3000 mile trip for long delayed grandkid visit. I like it a lot. It was a comfortable car to drive and sit in for a lot of hours. I had almost nothing wrong with it when I got it (a loose panel in the rear hatch that was fixed immediately), and zero issues on the long drive. I had a MS for 3 years before, and liked it as well. I've had multiple BMW 7s in my adult life for reference purposes, to rebut in advance the 'you've never had a nice car' argument I hear sometimes when people compliment Teslas.

I’m on the fence. My second Model S and can’t bring myself to buy #3 of the exact same vehicle. So the Y has my interest.

what’s your take on the acceleration vs S along with the loss of a cluster display?

I own a 2016 S, my wife a 2018 Model 3. A friend wanted to go car shopping so I took him to our local showroom/SC for a new car test drive. They gave us a performance Model Y with only 11 miles on the odometer and it had not even been driven enough for the car to calibrate the cameras and sensors, but they got calibrated during the test drive. I will have to say it is a better car that either our S or 3. It was quieter and the fit and finish seemed excellent. Of course the performance was outstanding compared to out standard perf Teslas.

All in all I think the Y is the best car Tesla has produced.

Love it. Have probably had one of the rougher experienced of anyone on here and the build quality us poor to say the least...still, so comfortable during 26 hours of driving in the last week (Chicago-New York-Chicago trip). Fits my kids, everyone's gear and is just a joy on a road trip. Have PUP and the acceleration is a blast, too.

I’m on the fence. My second Model S and can’t bring myself to buy #3 of the exact same vehicle. So the Y has my interest.

what’s your take on the acceleration vs S along with the loss of a cluster display?

I had the 100D, not P version, so the acceleration of the Y P is noticeably more. It seems quicker in general due to its size. Not as much of a sedan feeling (which I miss, but the feel of the Y is really nice in its own way). I thought I'd really miss the screen real estate, specifically the cluster, but I got used to the center display quickly and am ok with it. The only thing I really miss display-wise is the ability to have the backup camera on at same time as the nav display. I thought that would be very difficult to get over, but after a few hundred miles on my recent 3000 mile trip I stopped missing the backup camera display and left the navigation on. I guess I really wasn't using it as much while driving forward as I thought I was. I think when they implement the side repeater camera pop-up when turn signals are triggered, I'll have as much as I really want. One note, I do like having the car and traffic visualizations on the center screen to the left side, better than seeing it on the cluster. Others may differ on that, and perhaps the new MCU (which I didn't have yet) has it in the center on the S/X now anyway.

Reactions: steve841