Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How about a pop-up when signaling?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For such a "safe" car, I think Tesla is under-performing in their presentation of data department. Hopefully v9 will help here, but wouldn't it be easy enough for them to have a pop-up next to the image of your car with the rear-camera super-imposed any time you signal? Below is an example of a pop-up if you signaled left. (Ignore the full-screen rear camera image, most people don't drive this way...I left it in for context so you can see where my pop-up image came from)
rear camera for signaling2b.PNG

Or even just the whole image:
rear camera for signaling1b.PNG

But why? If you adjust your mirrors to the SAE standard you only need to glance in the direction of your intended travel.

In your example I would be looking the opposite of that.
My mirrors are adjusted correctly. Nonetheless, the Model 3 has limited visibility due to high rear-deck height, small side mirrors and small rear-view mirror. I feel it's adequate, but I'm looking for more than adequate. Don't forget that not every driver is as competent as the best and some can you extra help. When you have all the tech on-board to offer help, why not? Why wouldn't you want to help EVERY Model 3 driver out as much as possible? You pay your insurance rate based off not only your record, but the statistics of EVERY model 3 driver.

I’m really looking forward to their implementation of blind spot monitoring. It seems like they have the ability to do so much, so they should be able to come with something that is functional and elegant. Saying it’s not necessary on an otherwise tech’d out car is a total cop-out considering it’s now industry-wide standard in various forms.

My understanding is that the side cams are B&W, so simply broadcasting their feed to the screen might fall short in the aesthetics department. But even a reliable (meaning not fading in and out) ghost car on screen would be something.

According to the ordering page EAP only gives you access to 4 cameras. FSD gives you access to all 8. But it would be interesting if EAP will temporarily use 1 or both of the side cameras when the full automatic lane change is enabled. The current lane change just uses the ultrasonic sensors to detect if a car is adjacent to you and not automatically change lanes. I'm just not willing to test what happens if a car is close behind or beside me. I know the lane change doesn't want to switch when a car is not far enough ahead in the next lane, depending on your following distance setting and how fast the car is pulling away.

I'm assuming that the autopilot visualization will eventually start to show cars in the blind spot. Initially it only showed cars directly in front, now it shows cars in adjacent lanes in front of you, next logical step is to show cars 360 degrees around you. Maybe flash them or make a noise if you activate your turn signal and they're in your blind spot.

• Love
Reactions: 03DSG
It's the information Elon said when they announced the MS Refresh and were releasing AP 2.0. Just go to the Tesla page and design a S or X. 3's design page is lacking too much information. They probably assume that buyers have also priced a MS/MX and know the information. Order a Model S

It's why people feel that EAP/FSD are overpriced. The hardware comes with every car and it is just paying a premium to enable the feature. At least now existing FSD will be upgraded to the new MCU they are developing, so it seems like you are getting something for the additional cost. But once the new MCU is ready, all cars will be built with that hardware. Just my guess with what happened with AP 2.5.

I think all of the front and the rear are now actively being used if you have at least EAP. From other posts, the side have been in shadow mode for awhile (I don't remember which post had that info). Actually I think Tesla has every car's camera running in shadow mode to collect data for their simulations. But I noticed that our cars are uploading much less data after each drive.

Reactions: woodisgood
I was under the impression that out of all of the cameras, the Model 3 right now only uses the front camera locates in the rear view mirror and the back up camera. What other 2 are they using now? The delivery lady said the 2 in the front quarter panels will be used in the future.

I would rather the blind spot warning on the side mirror like all other cars. It is the one place that you have to look anyway, so putting it there seems logical. BTW OP, in your example, the car you showed should have been on the passenger side, not the driver side. In order to super-impose the rear view camera image, the image has to be flipped and put on the other side mirror.

BTW, does the Model 3 screen shows cars in blind spots with radar like arcs on the image? My model X does that. Wouldn't that be enough without the actual image of the car? I still would prefer an amber light on the side mirror.

Reactions: bsf29 and SageBrush
What would be nice is if the had a ‘jackoff alert’. You look in your blind spots, all is clear. You don’t see the JO flying 30 mph over the speed limit coming from behind in the lane you are merging into.

Come on, Tesla. Jackoff Alert!