Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How anal are you about parking spots and door dings?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I tried he painting, but it was difficult to charge, had no acceleration, and I couldn't find the doors. Body repair is expensive for aluminum in this area, but that's another discussion, and I'm watching how scalable the repair process becomes. Im all for driving the crap out of the car but there are tons of people out here that think thing of rear ending you and taking off. The cameras should help if that becomes a problem.

Yes, my daily driver prior to my P90D was a Diesel Jetta that I owned for 13 years.

Collectively, the cars have about 180,000 miles on them currently. The Supra had 106,000 miles on it and the Traverse had 96,000 miles on it. I don't believe in garage queens or babying cars. If you buy a car, drive the sumbeech like it was meant to be driven. If you want a piece of garage art, buy a painting.

Unfortunately, I've received major dings in most of my vehicles. It's initially upsetting, especially when you're sitting in the car and someone hits it hard and is unapologetic (but probably would go ape if you even touched his car). There's little one can do, as it's partly chance but mostly courtesy in a time when many people just have next to no respect. The balance point for me is that now that I've got kids - they make more of a mess/do more damage to my vehicles. It'll be tough to "keep perspective" when it becomes a more costly affair but I hope I will.

I just got a ding - was so angry that I parked between two cars and had a bad feeling about it going in already. I walked out to my car and saw the ding immediately and was almost not surprised that it happened. Hit and run of course, but I guess that's life.

I had 4 or 5 door dings and a shopping cart dent + scratch in my 6 year old car prior to getting the Tesla. I never really babied that car nor cared where I was parking. Now, I do my best to park away from other cars and preferentially on an end, so at worst there can only be a car on one side.

I not only look for an "end" parking spot, I'll even think about if the driver's door or passenger's door is towards the end parking spot - hoping maybe there isn't a passenger - better odds the door doesn't ever open.

You get a little more exercise each time you park a ways away . . . right? Well, we can at least tell our wife's that . . .
You want to tell your wife you park further away so she can exercise?

I wish nothing but the best for you in your next life sir.

By the way, I'll tell you where all those door dings are coming from: children. Try as I might, it's nearly impossible to make my little buggers mindful enough to not swing their doors open without considering where the door might end up. And I'm actually trying. These days I use the child door locks to prevent such undesirable learning experiences, and they really hate it, but what else can I do? I think they just need to be a little older still before I can trust them around other people's property.
yea parking close to a tesla probably gives you beter odds....but how do you know a child wont open his door on his tesla into yours? i have pleaded with my 8 year old to please open the door carefully when they open the door, but 1/10 times they arent. kids!!!!
I wish more parents would do exactly this! It's a shame that most parents don't even seem to bother to try to teach their kids to show respect for other peoples' property, in fact, most adults don't show that respect themselves.

There was once an ultra fat lady, grown up, who dinged my previous car. I requested her to be careful next time .. As politely as I could. I didn't make a fuss about the ding. And she started yelling at me for being materialistic. Yeah I park far far far away from most cars, especially minivans because they are usually full of kids, or moms whose heads have turned to mush because of kids, or SUVs which are also usually full of kids.

Yep. Now we just head straight to the furthest spot available. Not only is the tesla good for the environment, it's been great for our waistline... Walking the extra distance is good!:)

Funny thing is that whenever we come back to the car, and there's a car parked near us, it's usually another tesla!:D

Don't know what the categories would be, but I'm in the epically anal category. If anyone parks next to me, it is almost always an enthusiast vehicle, and my impression is they are in the same category as me.

Reactions: GoTslaGo
I never worried about that before until I picked up my MS. My walks to the store have now become longer and I find myself inspecting my car when I return. I also admit to honking the horn and flashing the lights periodically...Don't judge me!

• Funny
Reactions: EVConvert
I always make sure to park uphill from the shopping cart cages. I never park next to them either. Several years ago a friend borrowed my truck and was sitting in it when a shopping cart rolled into it. He said he saw it coming, but thought it would miss the truck. Needless to say I was not happy about the resulting ding.

Reactions: GoTslaGo