TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

How anal are you about parking spots and door dings?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by jlucero, May 2, 2016.

1. jlucero

jlucero Member

i swear, i get anxiety every stop i have to make in a parking lot. with my old cars, i dont think i thought twice about it. now, i must circle the lot 30 times and think about pros and cons of each spot. its aggravating that i cant calm down haha. just wondering who else feels this way. i end up parking 1 mile away most of the time lol.

• Like x 9
    • Love x 4
    • Funny x 2
  2. Hugh Mannity

Hugh Mannity Mediocre Member

Drives my wife IN SANE that I find the farthest spot possible usually near a curb at the far back end of any parking lot.

• Like x 4
  3. GoTslaGo

GoTslaGo Learning Member

Yep. Now we just head straight to the furthest spot available. Not only is the tesla good for the environment, it's been great for our waistline... Walking the extra distance is good!:)

Funny thing is that whenever we come back to the car, and there's a car parked near us, it's usually another tesla!:D

• Like x 4
    • Funny x 2
  4. RogerHScott

RogerHScott Active Member

This is the irony of auto-park: do you really want to park between two other cars unless you absolutely have to? And/or in a tight spot?

• Like x 5
    • Funny x 3
    • Love x 1
  5. RogerHScott

RogerHScott Active Member

Now if, when parked, it extended ding-resistant bumpers along the side, then we'd be talkin'! :)

• Like x 5
    • Helpful x 1
  6. jlucero

jlucero Member

yea, when i park far away where there are no cars, i get super annoyed when i return and see a car next to me.
    i also prefer to park next to a handicapped spot, hoping that most are left vacant...

• Like x 4
  7. jak

jak Member

After experiencing a door ding, I got it fixed and park farther away now. Last week, I went to the grocery store and parked away from the other cars. When I came back to my car, I saw a Model X parked in front of me. I suspect he had the same thoughts, too.

• Like x 2
  8. omarsultan

omarsultan Active Member

I usually park in the most remote spot I can find in the parking lot--at night I temper that a bit an make sure its well-lit.

• Like x 1
  9. Denarius

Denarius Active Member

Drives my wife and coworker I commute with nuts. I'll even back into a spot then decide I don't like it and pull into another. I have a problem. My but P85D is still flawless.

• Like x 2
    • Funny x 2
  10. AndY1

AndY1 Member

[​IMG]

• Like x 2
    • Dislike x 1
    • Funny x 1
  11. hpjtv

hpjtv Member

Used to park far away, don't care so much anymore. No matter how careful you are, someone will eventually hit you. Had someone open their door right into my driver door the other day while I was still sitting in my car. To help minimize any damage, it's probably best to use PPF like Xpel. I know it has saved me from lots of rock chips and dings. Wish I would have done the entire car though cause now I'm finding scratches from places you wouldn't expect from people rubbing by with their bags and what not.

12. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

I park far away. No dings in three years. I've had a couple of scrapes, but thanks to the paint armour, they come right off with some bug and tar remover.

13. djinn1

djinn1 Member

It's in my blood. When my dad was teaching me how to drive, 40 years ago, he always said "when you are driving down Main Street, always lookout for the Doerflinger family".

I offer to drop my wife off in front of the store, restaurant, etc., then park in some other town or county.

• Funny x 5
    • Like x 2
  14. msnow

msnow Active Member

I always stress over it. My number one target is an open space next to the end with handicap parking on the other side. Next is an end spot with extra room for people to walk by but not park. Last resort is an end spot next to a curb and far away from my target destination. At supermarkets I stress over carts being push at the car. I think I need XPEL and a shrink.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  15. chriSharek

chriSharek Member

I not only look for an "end" parking spot, I'll even think about if the driver's door or passenger's door is towards the end parking spot - hoping maybe there isn't a passenger - better odds the door doesn't ever open.

You get a little more exercise each time you park a ways away . . . right? Well, we can at least tell our wife's that . . .

16. Jeeps17

Jeeps17 Cath Jockey in a P85

I'll have my wife read this thread, it may reduce the complaints about my similar parking behavior (but likely won't)...

• Like x 4
  17. Beryl

Beryl Member

Sometimes there is really no choice at popular restaurants and small strip malls. Xpel wrap on the doors, fenders, hood, and bumpers -- glad I took that advice.

18. shonline

shonline Member

So glad to read this. I thought it was just me...

• Funny x 1
  19. chriSharek

chriSharek Member

XPEL is going to help with a door ding? Really? That might be wishful thinking . . .

20. msnow

msnow Active Member

It might be wishful thinking. Here's what XPEL claims it will do.

"Paint protection films are clear or colored polyurethane films that are applied to vehicles to protect them from scratches, dents, or swirls caused by road debris, rocks, bug droppings, and other environmental elements."