Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How can I fix this curb rash?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

BrettS

Mar 28, 2017
Orlando, FL
So my new (to me) 2015 Model S also came with a bit of curb rash on one of the wheels. I ordered the wheel colored touch up paint from Tesla and it just arrived today, but as I'm looking at the marks on the wheel there is definitely a bit of texture to them, so I'm thinking I may need to do more than just put on some touch up paint.

Any thoughts on how I can do this reasonably quickly and easily? I don't need (or expect) it to look perfect and I'm not wanting to remove the wheel from the car or the tire from the wheel, so I'm just looking for something I can do with the wheel in place that will get me to 80% or 90%... something that will look pretty good as you look at the car from a few feet away.

IMG_4339.JPG
IMG_4340.JPG

I own a auto dealership and the cost of wheel repair is only $55 per wheel based on average damage and the repairs should look as good as new. Your damage falls into the easy to look as good as new category. That price is dealer net cost and reflects a National price in the US. More expensive large cities like LA have more volume but also more competition so the pricing still remains very close, paying retail price should be about 30% more but well worth it to get a good as new looking wheel rather than some DIY look with touch up paint. A Tesla is a nice car and well worth the relatively minor expense to keep it nice. It's better to go to a wheel repair guy, a body shop will probably be higher in cost and may just sub it out and mark up the price.

Last edited:
There are wheel rim bumpers that can be installed to give a little cushion between rim and curb. They come in different colors. Given your photos not something that would fix your issue now but might help after repair to prevent more of the same. Someone on the forum mentioned them and saw them on Amazon and other auto places.

Not sure in the U.S. but any high end wheel shop can help you fix the curb rashes. Yours are very lightly damaged and as @Xolt explained it'll be perfectly unnoticeable after repair.
I was a regular customer of repair service at my tire shop(s). Here in Tokyo they charge $80 to $120 per wheel. I use winter tires in winter so I usually ask them to fix curb rash when I change to and from winter wheels.