TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

How can I fix this curb rash?

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by BrettS, May 2, 2017.

1. BrettS

BrettS Member

So my new (to me) 2015 Model S also came with a bit of curb rash on one of the wheels. I ordered the wheel colored touch up paint from Tesla and it just arrived today, but as I'm looking at the marks on the wheel there is definitely a bit of texture to them, so I'm thinking I may need to do more than just put on some touch up paint.

Any thoughts on how I can do this reasonably quickly and easily? I don't need (or expect) it to look perfect and I'm not wanting to remove the wheel from the car or the tire from the wheel, so I'm just looking for something I can do with the wheel in place that will get me to 80% or 90%... something that will look pretty good as you look at the car from a few feet away.

IMG_4339.JPG IMG_4340.JPG

2. Max*

Max* Not Banned

There are mobile wheel repair people you can call (don't know any specific ones in your area). They'll do the job quickly and it'll look very good.

That or there are videos on youtube about how to DIY.

• Informative x 1
  3. Xolt

Xolt Member

#3 Xolt, May 2, 2017
    Last edited: May 2, 2017
    I own a auto dealership and the cost of wheel repair is only $55 per wheel based on average damage and the repairs should look as good as new. Your damage falls into the easy to look as good as new category. That price is dealer net cost and reflects a National price in the US. More expensive large cities like LA have more volume but also more competition so the pricing still remains very close, paying retail price should be about 30% more but well worth it to get a good as new looking wheel rather than some DIY look with touch up paint. A Tesla is a nice car and well worth the relatively minor expense to keep it nice. It's better to go to a wheel repair guy, a body shop will probably be higher in cost and may just sub it out and mark up the price.

• Informative x 1
  4. bakerboy

bakerboy Member

Its time to plasti-dip!!!!! LoL

5. JasJ

JasJ Member

6. SMAlset

SMAlset Member

There are wheel rim bumpers that can be installed to give a little cushion between rim and curb. They come in different colors. Given your photos not something that would fix your issue now but might help after repair to prevent more of the same. Someone on the forum mentioned them and saw them on Amazon and other auto places.