Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How can I get Tesla to increase the number of panels in the design?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I placed an order for 12.75kW solar panels.... Weeks and weeks went by and they've now come back with a 7.48kW design. Although my roof is a little choppy, 3 reputable local companies have sent designs for around 11kW. Tesla say they can't go that high due to code citing fire set backs.

Any tips for how to get them to look at this again? I've asked to speak to design but they aren't customer facing. I asked them to put panels on north facing slopes (we live in Nevada) but they won't do that either. The salesperson couldn't be less interested and says there's nothing that can be done.

Has anyone been able to get Tesla to increase the design and if so, how?

Heading to Pleasanton tomorrow evening to spend night at friends house. Then get up early and drive to Santa Cruz for the Tri Santa cruz race.
Am hoping for no smoke. The west wind has come up a little, but so far, not enough to blow the smoke out, but at least we are 200 now
I assume by 200 you mean the EPA 2.5 EQI value. If so, right now we are between 150 to 180 in most of Pleasanton. The Purple Air sensor in my backyard shows in the 150 range. The daily average for the previous 10 days or so was in the 40s, so a big change today. San Cruz is showing in the 30s right now, so the sea breeze is keeping things cool and clear. Have a great trip and enjoy the air.

Upvote 0
I assume by 200 you mean the EPA 2.5 EQI value. If so, right now we are between 150 to 180 in most of Pleasanton. The Purple Air sensor in my backyard shows in the 150 range. The daily average for the previous 10 days or so was in the 40s, so a big change today. San Cruz is showing in the 30s right now, so the sea breeze is keeping things cool and clear. Have a great trip and enjoy the air.
Watching purple air, the smoke is drifting big time towards the coast. In the morning I expect everything maybe covered again. Bad stuff. Just got to make sure santa cruz does not get over 150 since that is when stuff should be canceled for outside events.

Upvote 0
Or, consider going with one of those three reputable companies you mentioned that provided a design that you like.
I would love to but there's 4 reasons why not:

- their price per watt is 35% higher
- their finance options are much less good
- they charge an extra amount on top for financing
- their batter storage options are at least 50% more expensive than powerwall

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
Upvote 0
Are you sure your want to put panels on a North facing roof? I have tiles in our solar roof that face north, and they only produce large amounts of power at certain times of the year, even though they are illuminated by the sun much of the year. The angle of incidence of the sun is a big factor in solar production.

During your selection process, make sure you read the annual performance/production guarantees with each of the proposals.
I thought North facing was a no-no too, but I've seen loads of houses here in Vegas with lots of panels facing North. You are certainly right that they only will produce in the height of Summer but that's also when I'm consuming 100kWh per day.

Upvote 0
It's important to find out why your proposal was rejected. I found out there was some confusion about the interconnection inverter size limit. I had to talk to my local code/permit prison and get an email from him to forward to Tesla to confirm what exactly is allowed out not allowed. I was also able to get the permit guy to help with approving a minor exception (or at least support my request at the permit review board and sent my an email to that effect, which then I forwarded to Tesla project advisor). Which help to convince my local designer to modify the design based on my proposal.

try to get them to do as much as reasonable while on the phone, the advisors are overloaded and often move on to the next customer after your hang up. It's also harder to explain things then when you and the advisor can be looking at the drawing together
This is great advice! I've also noticed that to even get a response from Tesla you need to call them. The advisors must be swamped because emails are mostly ignored. I'll reach out to my local building code department and see if I can get any CYA from them.

Upvote 0
I would love to but there's 4 reasons why not:

- their price per watt is 35% higher
- their finance options are much less good
- they charge an extra amount on top for financing
- their batter storage options are at least 50% more expensive than powerwall

FWIW, the only reason I bolded reputable is because thats how you posted it as well. You are finding one of the things that people see. Tesla is usually a lot cheaper, but also tends to be a lot less flexible, and less communicative.

Upvote 0
I thought I'd update the thread I started with the outcome. I had some success, getting them to agree to an extra 2 panels! As suggested I contacted the city building code folks, and they sent me a guide to the requirements. I sent that to Tesla, who then replied and said the reason we can't put them portrait instead of landscape isn't because of fire codes but some international wind code requirement needing 12" from the top and bottom. Which there was plenty of room for. I sent them the below image and within a matter of hours they updated the design, turning them portrait and thus fitting 2 more in. Using the known dimensions of the window I did some basic mathematics and proved there was in fact plenty of room.

Screen Shot 2021-09-13 at 3.36.29 PM.png

:D

Upvote 0