Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How can I get Tesla to increase the number of panels in the design?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I placed an order for 12.75kW solar panels.... Weeks and weeks went by and they've now come back with a 7.48kW design. Although my roof is a little choppy, 3 reputable local companies have sent designs for around 11kW. Tesla say they can't go that high due to code citing fire set backs.

Any tips for how to get them to look at this again? I've asked to speak to design but they aren't customer facing. I asked them to put panels on north facing slopes (we live in Nevada) but they won't do that either. The salesperson couldn't be less interested and says there's nothing that can be done.

Has anyone been able to get Tesla to increase the design and if so, how?

1) look up your local fire set back requirement (usually at least 3' from the ridge and at least 1x 3' path top to bottom from the street side (often take one from the back too)

2) take the Tesla layout and modify it in Ms paint it something to what you like.
Talk to the project advisors (any) ask for an email address and stay on the line! Email your proposal to the advisor and make sure to confirm they received it. and ask them to request the design team to see if they can create a design base on your mock up. Or please find out exactly why the design team can't fit more panels. Don't need to wait on the line for them to talk to the design team, if they promised, they will usually shoot your mock up to design via email. If you know the FSB code and the array wiring (min panels and Max panels or string, when they can parallel the strings or not, etc) that will help a lot. This was my experience in metro Chicago. YMMV

• Informative
Reactions: aesculus
Upvote 0
It's important to find out why your proposal was rejected. I found out there was some confusion about the interconnection inverter size limit. I had to talk to my local code/permit prison and get an email from him to forward to Tesla to confirm what exactly is allowed out not allowed. I was also able to get the permit guy to help with approving a minor exception (or at least support my request at the permit review board and sent my an email to that effect, which then I forwarded to Tesla project advisor). Which help to convince my local designer to modify the design based on my proposal.

try to get them to do as much as reasonable while on the phone, the advisors are overloaded and often move on to the next customer after your hang up. It's also harder to explain things then when you and the advisor can be looking at the drawing together

Reactions: cobra
Upvote 0
I did what @Bitslizer said (but this was almost a year ago when they were more flexible and maybe wanted to sell something?). They came back with an amended plan for me. We did this about 3 times taking a week each time, until we settled on a plan. I am not 100% sure the installers did what I wanted in terms of active vs passive panels as I was not there for the area of interests install, but I did get the extra panels put somewhere. :)

Upvote 0
I did what @Bitslizer said (but this was almost a year ago when they were more flexible and maybe wanted to sell something?). They came back with an amended plan for me. We did this about 3 times taking a week each time, until we settled on a plan. I am not 100% sure the installers did what I wanted in terms of active vs passive panels as I was not there for the area of interests install, but I did get the extra panels put somewhere. :)

The install crew wired the east west array split vs inverter mppt split incorrectly, I caught that when they power on my inverter and I inspected the string output, Tesla PV roof crew came back out to fix it, luckily they only had to re-wire the PV to THNN pairing in the roof junction box. to fix so it was fairly quick and easy

Upvote 0
I placed an order for 12.75kW solar panels.... Weeks and weeks went by and they've now come back with a 7.48kW design. Although my roof is a little choppy, 3 reputable local companies have sent designs for around 11kW. Tesla say they can't go that high due to code citing fire set backs.

Any tips for how to get them to look at this again? I've asked to speak to design but they aren't customer facing. I asked them to put panels on north facing slopes (we live in Nevada) but they won't do that either. The salesperson couldn't be less interested and says there's nothing that can be done.

Has anyone been able to get Tesla to increase the design and if so, how?
Are you sure your want to put panels on a North facing roof? I have tiles in our solar roof that face north, and they only produce large amounts of power at certain times of the year, even though they are illuminated by the sun much of the year. The angle of incidence of the sun is a big factor in solar production.

During your selection process, make sure you read the annual performance/production guarantees with each of the proposals.

Upvote 0
Are you sure your want to put panels on a North facing roof? I have tiles in our solar roof that face north, and they only produce large amounts of power at certain times of the year, even though they are illuminated by the sun much of the year. The angle of incidence of the sun is a big factor in solar production.

During your selection process, make sure you read the annual performance/production guarantees with each of the proposals.
I put a bunch of panels on the north facing. My others were full. It is just money :)

Reactions: jboy210
Upvote 0
I have too much roof! but my local regulation won't let me get more inverter and I'm maxed out on panel for the DC/AC ratio for the inverters I was approved for :D If I stuff my roof to the gill I can just about double my panels
I am hoping I get approved/ 30KW of panels, 90. Two 11.4K inverters. So far my max in a day is 180kwh, 22.4 kw. I have enough shading, north, etc I will never get as much if they were all facing south.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Luckily, I have power. But if not, I am ready.

But, boy is my solar production WAY down with the smoke. Will not be able to fully charge them if I leave on my current settings. Guess I should change them
Smoke is also cutting into my production numbers and I am over in the Tri-Valley area in Pleasanton.

Luckily it was clearer this morning so we are at 100%. But I only have 2 powerwalls to fill.

Reactions: h2ofun
Upvote 0
Smoke is also cutting into my production numbers and I am over in the Tri-Valley area in Pleasanton.

Luckily it was clearer this morning so we are at 100%. But I only have 2 powerwalls to fill.
Heading to Pleasanton tomorrow evening to spend night at friends house. Then get up early and drive to Santa Cruz for the Tri Santa cruz race.
Am hoping for no smoke. The west wind has come up a little, but so far, not enough to blow the smoke out, but at least we are 200 now

Upvote 0