Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How choose your charger?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just had an electric company out to my house to give an estimate on installing a 220v line & NEMA 14-50 outlet in my detached garage. I have a 110v line already ran to the garage, so was hoping they could use that existing conduit. Well it turns out there is no existing conduit, the 110v line was just buried, and then conduit used to feed the line on the surface on each end (in garage & at the meter).

So the electrician said what he would do is tap off my meter & add a single service disconnect box (to avoid needing to add a 50 amp breaker to my box inside), then run a 220v line from the disconnect box, trench it about 35 ft through my yard, and then up into the garage. His estimate was $1600. It's my first quote, I have another appointment scheduled for tomorrow, so I'll be interested to see what they say. But I don't think $1600 is too bad, considering trenching & new conduit need to be run. He also said they are Tesla's #1 recommended electrician in the area, so confidence is high they'd do a good, clean job.

Did the electrician call it a 220V line, or is that what you called it? Because if the electrician called it a 220V line, you might want to find another electrician. Hint: it's been 240V for decades, not 220V.

Definitely my mistake, sorry. I know it's 240, electrician knows 240 (I checked the paperwork just to make sure). I'm a novice to electrical work, and thought it was still 220 when first inquiring. Thanks for correcting me.

Just had an electric company out to my house to give an estimate on installing a 220v line & NEMA 14-50 outlet in my detached garage. I have a 110v line already ran to the garage, so was hoping they could use that existing conduit. Well it turns out there is no existing conduit, the 110v line was just buried, and then conduit used to feed the line on the surface on each end (in garage & at the meter).

So the electrician said what he would do is tap off my meter & add a single service disconnect box (to avoid needing to add a 50 amp breaker to my box inside), then run a 220v line from the disconnect box, trench it about 35 ft through my yard, and then up into the garage. His estimate was $1600. It's my first quote, I have another appointment scheduled for tomorrow, so I'll be interested to see what they say. But I don't think $1600 is too bad, considering trenching & new conduit need to be run. He also said they are Tesla's #1 recommended electrician in the area, so confidence is high they'd do a good, clean job.

That quote sounds very reasonable. As posted earlier, I've gotten 2 quotes for a similar project in the mid $5000 range. I may have 15' more trenching than you, and both have suggested a sub-panel in the garage. Good luck!

Reactions: galbrecht7
That quote sounds very reasonable. As posted earlier, I've gotten 2 quotes for a similar project in the mid $5000 range. I may have 15' more trenching than you, and both have suggested a sub-panel in the garage. Good luck!
I think a sub panel is required in a detached garage in this situation. If I understand correctly, you cannot have two circuits going in (especially if they are coming from different places). The fire department would assume the breaker by the meter feeding the garage would have disconnected all the power... yet there is another live wire coming from a different breaker box.

Thanks! Good luck to you too. I thought I remembered reading in this thread that someone was quoted $5000, so that's why I wanted to post my experience to compare. That quote seems absurd. Where would they get that number from? Parts aren't that pricey, so unless their labor costs are through the roof...

Before I heard trenching was necessary, I was hoping for $1000 or less. As soon as I heard trenching, I was hoping $2000 or less. So I agree $1600 sounds reasonable. He said for an extra $100 they could do 1" conduit instead of 3/4". Not really sure the benefit of that, unless I needed to upgrade something in that conduit in the future. Anyways, another company is coming this afternoon, I'll update with his quote later on

Thanks! Good luck to you too. I thought I remembered reading in this thread that someone was quoted $5000, so that's why I wanted to post my experience to compare. That quote seems absurd. Where would they get that number from? Parts aren't that pricey, so unless their labor costs are through the roof...

Before I heard trenching was necessary, I was hoping for $1000 or less. As soon as I heard trenching, I was hoping $2000 or less. So I agree $1600 sounds reasonable. He said for an extra $100 they could do 1" conduit instead of 3/4". Not really sure the benefit of that, unless I needed to upgrade something in that conduit in the future. Anyways, another company is coming this afternoon, I'll update with his quote later on
1” will give you the option to pull more wires later. If you’re going through the hassle I would recommend getting the larger conduit - you never know when you’ll need it. It’s a fairly trivial cost to install it now vs digging it up and replacing it later.

Reactions: brkaus
1” will give you the option to pull more wires later. If you’re going through the hassle I would recommend getting the larger conduit - you never know when you’ll need it. It’s a fairly trivial cost to install it now vs digging it up and replacing it later.

I'd be tempted to ask for 1" for the power and put in a capped 1/2 or 3/4 for "future use" - in case I wanted to add internet, etc later.

I agree. If I'm already spending that much, the extra hundred bucks is worth it for future proofing. Not sure what I would need to add, but who knows. If I got a second Tesla for my wife one day (wishful thinking), I could just install the Wall Charger on the existing 240 line to charge both cars.

I agree. If I'm already spending that much, the extra hundred bucks is worth it for future proofing. Not sure what I would need to add, but who knows. If I got a second Tesla for my wife one day (wishful thinking), I could just install the Wall Charger on the existing 240 line to charge both cars.
With the larger conduit, it might be worth pulling three #12 wires through it now (less hassle than later). That will give you a pair of 120v / 20 amp (aka 5-20) dedicated circuits for whatever, or a 6-20 which could be enough for a smaller second car. I opted for the pair of 5-20s, since my garage has limited outlets. They've already come in handy, and I verified I can charge my car (slowly) on them if my EVSE were to fail.

• Informative
Reactions: galbrecht7