Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How common is ghosting?

How is the ghosting in your Model X?

• Very noticeable both day and night

Votes: 17 8.6%
  • Noticeable both day and night

Votes: 11 5.6%
  • Somewhat noticeable during the day, more noticeable at night

Votes: 29 14.7%
  • Noticeable at night

Votes: 40 20.3%
  • Somewhat noticeable at night

Votes: 15 7.6%
  • Not noticeable

Votes: 81 41.1%
  • Other

Votes: 4 2.0%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Did they do the "test" on your windshield?
At the time of drop off (almost 2 weeks ago) one of the to-do items was "ghosting". The guy who was taking my car in, mentioned that they have a tool to test for image separation and if the test proves out of specs - they will replace the windshield. I argued with him that I've read a lot about their test and it means nothing - even if it's within specs, I still have a problem with ghosting. I specifically requested the new windshield by part number (1105964-00-B)

I got a text message the same day I dropped off the car that they are ordering a new windshield. There was never anything mentioned about the test - whether it was done or not, or the results of it. Took them over a week to receive the new windshield.

I think I just got lucky with the tech who was inspecting my car - he was very knowledgeable and new about all the issues from my to-do list, including ghosting. I think he just proceeded to order the part I requested without testing it, but I don't know for sure.

• Informative
Reactions: alcibiades
Just got off the phone with SC in SLC, Utah. My 100D Model X is there being detailed. The rep went out and looked at the windshield. Bad news is that it is 1034385-01-H. This implies that new builds, ours was July 12, 2017, are still being built with the old H windshields. This car was being built for a showroom in Alabama, we found it on a lot in LA waiting to be shipped there.
The rep on the phone did not know anything about ghosting. I will wait until I go in to get the vehicle and ask more questions about replacement if ghosting is a problem for either my wife at 5'8" or myself at 6'7". We have a 10 day trip planned right away and would hate to have this be a problem in a brand new car. We shall see.

• Informative
Reactions: Cowby
A bit more information....talked with the service dept. He said if the customer notices problems with ghosting, he can bring it in and they will test the windshield. If it tests within their specs, they won't replace it. If it tests out of their specs, they will replace it. Does anyone know about these tests. How can you test a windshield for ghosting from all possible line of sight situations according to the height of driver and positioning of the seat?

A bit more information....talked with the service dept. He said if the customer notices problems with ghosting, he can bring it in and they will test the windshield. If it tests within their specs, they won't replace it. If it tests out of their specs, they will replace it. Does anyone know about these tests. How can you test a windshield for ghosting from all possible line of sight situations according to the height of driver and positioning of the seat?
the test is useless as it tests for image separation (there's a link on TMC that you can find).
The problem though is not separation, it's the brightness of the extra images that's a concern.

image1.JPG Thanks verygreen, will look up that link. Just heard back from my sales rep. He send the attached image. This seems to indicate that the windshield part # is 1066747-01-B. This is different than the one I was given this morning. The rep will verify which is correct. If H is correct, I proposed to him that they go ahead and run a "test". If the test shows within specs, then I know I am on my own if there is a problem down the road.....or decide not to purchase. would hate to do the latter because "ghosting" may not even be a problem.

View attachment 244921 Thanks verygreen, will look up that link. Just heard back from my sales rep. He send the attached image. This seems to indicate that the windshield part # is 1066747-01-B. This is different than the one I was given this morning. The rep will verify which is correct. If H is correct, I proposed to him that they go ahead and run a "test". If the test shows within specs, then I know I am on my own if there is a problem down the road.....or decide not to purchase. would hate to do the latter because "ghosting" may not even be a problem.
If this is the picture from your (soon to be) car, then you should be fine WRT ghosting.

Just got another update from my sales rep. He went down to the service center (about a block away from sales) and sent the attached picture. Says this is from the windshield of my X. Thanks for all the input on this issue. This site has been very informative and helpful......even before I become an official owner.image1.JPG

View attachment 244921 Thanks verygreen, will look up that link. Just heard back from my sales rep. He send the attached image. This seems to indicate that the windshield part # is 1066747-01-B. This is different than the one I was given this morning. The rep will verify which is correct. If H is correct, I proposed to him that they go ahead and run a "test". If the test shows within specs, then I know I am on my own if there is a problem down the road.....or decide not to purchase. would hate to do the latter because "ghosting" may not even be a problem.

Just got another update from my sales rep. He went down to the service center (about a block away from sales) and sent the attached picture. Says this is from the windshield of my X. Thanks for all the input on this issue. This site has been very informative and helpful......even before I become an official owner.View attachment 244925

Wait a second...now there's 2 variations of the -B model? What's the difference?

I see 1066747-01-B in one picture and 1105964-00-B in the other?

Wait a second...now there's 2 variations of the -B model? What's the difference?

I see 1066747-01-B in one picture and 1105964-00-B in the other?
You are right, I have never seen 1066747-01-B referenced anywhere else before. But Tombhs is getting 1105964-00-B which is known good.
I have no idea about that other one, though. I heard there was a newer version with cutout for rf devices near the camera cluster behind the mirror, but I've yet to see one in person and I have no idea how is it wrt ghosting.

You are right, I have never seen 1066747-01-B referenced anywhere else before. But Tombhs is getting 1105964-00-B which is known good.
I have no idea about that other one, though. I heard there was a newer version with cutout for rf devices near the camera cluster behind the mirror, but I've yet to see one in person and I have no idea how is it wrt ghosting.
RF Devices? Not sure what that is?

I had the same question about the two different B windshields. I am curious about where my sales rep got the first window sticker from. I was relieved when he actually checked my car and sent me the picture showing the "non-ghosting" glass so I did not ask where the other sticker came from. I will ask when I take delivery of the car which should be sometime next week. Will let you all know what I find out.

• Helpful
I found out today where the 1st image (attached) came from for the Model X windshield. In the SLC showroom, they have a Black Model X. My sales rep. took that part number off of this car. So, evidently, there are two different windshield part numbers for Model X that end with the B letter.

image1.JPG

• Informative