Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How did I Get Scratches in Paint

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Doesn't opti coat protect against swirl marks?

My SC also has a detailer, but I have no idea how good he is. My car is only two weeks old and it was delivered with some swirl marks.
opticoat doesn't protect against swirl marks.

I took my brand new Model S back to the service center I picked it up from for post delivery quality fixes, and they washed it without telling me, putting swirl marks ALL over the car. Such is life unfortunately :( I have a "free" detail from them since it rained on my delivery day, and I was considering using it when the last missing piece of my quality control fixes comes in, but I'm not sure whether it will come back better or worse than before.
I would make them pay for the detailer of your choice, I would not trust them.

That is what opti coat is for which is already on my Model X.

Yep. I've seen several cars with the opti coat that also had swirl marks. I'd be pissed spending even more money trying to protect the paint only to still see this. Up until my current Model X, I've ONLY had black cars as I think they look the best when they are clean. But I would get swirl marks like that with my Model S. Even if you hand wash it, if the mitt has the slightest dirt in it, the crappy Tesla paint will scratch.

That was my decision to get a white Model X and don't regret it at all. I can't see any swirl marks on it. Heck, I even go through drive through carwashes with it which is a HUGE timesaver compared to hand washing it or paying a fortune to get it hand washed.

I have the solid black paint and I am still searching for the perfect mobile car washer. They all leave swirls!!! Tesla charged $175 for the detail that took care of the problem. Anyone in the O.C with a mobile car wash recommendation?

Reactions: rjdoc74
Yep. I've seen several cars with the opti coat that also had swirl marks. I'd be pissed spending even more money trying to protect the paint only to still see this. Up until my current Model X, I've ONLY had black cars as I think they look the best when they are clean. But I would get swirl marks like that with my Model S. Even if you hand wash it, if the mitt has the slightest dirt in it, the crappy Tesla paint will scratch.

That was my decision to get a white Model X and don't regret it at all. I can't see any swirl marks on it. Heck, I even go through drive through carwashes with it which is a HUGE timesaver compared to hand washing it or paying a fortune to get it hand washed.

This is huge imho, but I think opticoat and similar coating compounds are a waste of money. I have it done on my previous 2 cars and didn't think it made any difference.

Reactions: earlyretirement
Sounds to me like, if you want to go with black or a dark paint color and want it to stay swirl free and be low maintenance you need to plan on doing a full Xpell wrap. To me personally I think a black dirty and swirly exterior looks better than a clean white Tesla, but I'll probably still do the wrap just for piece of mind.

Sounds to me like, if you want to go with black or a dark paint color and want it to stay swirl free and be low maintenance you need to plan on doing a full Xpell wrap. To me personally I think a black dirty and swirly exterior looks better than a clean white Tesla, but I'll probably still do the wrap just for piece of mind.

Ha ha. Yeah, I never thought I'd own a non-black car. I'd disagree though about dirty black cars. I think they look pretty horrible when they are dirty. I'm actually surprised how much I like the white Model X.

I totally agree about the optical being a waste of money. I've seen a few people with the Xpel but honestly I don't think you should have to spend tons of money just expecting an expensive car not to get swirl marks so easily. Still can't figure out whey Tesla has such soft paint. I've never owned a car before with paint so soft and prone to swirl marks.

Reactions: MIT_S60
Ha ha. Yeah, I never thought I'd own a non-black car. I'd disagree though about dirty black cars. I think they look pretty horrible when they are dirty. I'm actually surprised how much I like the white Model X.

I totally agree about the optical being a waste of money. I've seen a few people with the Xpel but honestly I don't think you should have to spend tons of money just expecting an expensive car not to get swirl marks so easily. Still can't figure out whey Tesla has such soft paint. I've never owned a car before with paint so soft and prone to swirl marks.

With all fairness, my previous 2014 M5 was black and I remember people bitterly complaining on BMW forums about how soft the clear coat was on thier BMWs, "the softest they've ever owned" lol.

I have the obsidian black Model X. I took it to get a front-end XPEL wrap plus Opticoat last week and the detailer was shocked about the amount of swirls all over my car. I thought I was being extra careful washing my car via the 2-bucket method and a whole bunch of micro-fiber towels for drying but obviously not careful enough with this paint.

I am second guessing myself thinking I should have had the entire car wrapped.

I have the obsidian black Model X. I took it to get a front-end XPEL wrap plus Opticoat last week and the detailer was shocked about the amount of swirls all over my car. I thought I was being extra careful washing my car via the 2-bucket method and a whole bunch of micro-fiber towels for drying but obviously not careful enough with this paint.

I am second guessing myself thinking I should have had the entire car wrapped.

two bucket method with grit guard and blow dry the car.

I have a new red Dodge rental car right now. OMG it's got swirlies all over it too. I think that's just the nature of glossy things.

I did an Xpel front wrap on my black Tesla a couple of months ago. I haven't really had a chance to see the car clean and in the sun yet because I live Portland. If the Xpeled parts look good and non-swirly in the sun I'll definitely be Xpel wrapping the rest of the car. I'm glad I didn't wrap the whole car yet since someone hit me and two doors and a rear fender would have to be rewrapped.

Last edited:
I have a new red Dodge rental car right now. OMG it's got swirlies all over it too. I think that's just the nature of glossy things.

I did an Xpel front wrap on my black Tesla a couple of months ago. I haven't really had a chance to see the car clean and in the sun yet because I live Portland. If the Xpeled parts look good and non-swirly in the sun I'll definitely be Xpel wrapping the rest of the car. I'm glad I didn't wrap the whole car yet since someone hit me and two doors and a rear fender would have to be rewrapped.

How long did repair take?

I'm having my X fully wrapped right now. I didn't get my old S wrapped and I wish I had, it had swirls in the paint within the first couple months of owning it :mad:

Go figure full speed auto steer comes out at the same time it's getting wrapped :rolleyes: The wait to get it back is killing me, smalls!