Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How do I confirm the Performance version?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This might seem like a strange question but I took delivery of my Model Y on Monday. All went smoothly except for one item of concern. I paid for the Performance version (stealth... no 21" wheels, etc.). Sticker says "Dual Motor Performance." But the car display says "Dual Motor." No where does the software say Performance version. Since this was a significant expense, I am just curious how I can confirm I got the Performance upgrade. The acceleration is impressive but I assume that is true of both dual motor and performance versions.

Are other Performance owners seeing the same thing on their display?

The model 3’s have Chill and Standard for SR+ and LR AWD (without performance boost), and Chill and Sport for Performance. Perhaps the MY does too?

MY Owner's manual for acceleration setting
"• Acceleration: Adjust the amount of acceleration. Chill limits acceleration for a slightly smoother and gentler ride, whereas Standard or Sport (depending on vehicle configuration) provides the normal level of acceleration."

Based on that, I'd check your acceleration setting to see if you have the sport setting. Plus the red line should be under dual motor badge but given all the hiccups we have heard of with these early deliveries, it is possible that it got the wrong badge???

• Helpful
Reactions: frankvb
Does the badge on the back of the Y have dual motor underlined in red? I know some stealth model 3s last summer were delivered to customers and did not show as performance cars. They raised the issue, and Tesla pushed software updates to enable the full performance. It's important to note in that case the stealth cars already had the "binned" performance motors which were different than the standard AWD motors, so they were NOT standard AWD cars that received an update they were actual performance cars with different part number rear motors. I am out of the loop as to whether Tesla is now using the exact same motors for AWD and performance cars, but with the Model 3 they were the same for a while and then they weren't FWIW.

Some people are reporting missing red lines in stealth models. You can tell by running a 0-60. It’ll be under 4 seconds, probably well under if you get the launch right. That’s the only way I’ve seen people confirming. I’ve heard if you call Tesla they’ll confirm and also get you the right badges too. Have fun figuring it out!!!

Have people reported missing red lines on the car details screen inside the car? I've heard of people not getting the badge on the back (though they should have). Screen should show the red line or you probably have the wrong software.

Does the badge on the back of the Y have dual motor underlined in red? I know some stealth model 3s last summer were delivered to customers and did not show as performance cars. They raised the issue, and Tesla pushed software updates to enable the full performance. It's important to note in that case the stealth cars already had the "binned" performance motors which were different than the standard AWD motors, so they were NOT standard AWD cars that received an update they were actual performance cars with different part number rear motors. I am out of the loop as to whether Tesla is now using the exact same motors for AWD and performance cars, but with the Model 3 they were the same for a while and then they weren't FWIW.
The Performance 3’s were originally using the same AWD motors but with the BS "binning" about testing to confirm the ability’s. I have a very recent P3+ and from what I read they now currently run a different part number rear motor on the plus cars and the stealth is actually an AWD 3 with the performance software. I never climbed under mine to verify the number because it doesn’t mean much to me but it has been documented online many times if you search.

The Performance 3’s were originally using the same AWD motors but with the BS "binning" about testing to confirm the ability’s. I have a very recent P3+ and from what I read they now currently run a different part number rear motor on the plus cars and the stealth is actually an AWD 3 with the performance software. I never climbed under mine to verify the number because it doesn’t mean much to me but it has been documented online many times if you search.

My 07/19 build stealth came with the different rear motor that was not the same as the AWD motor. There is a lot of info proving the stealth cars made 07/19 and onwards are not the same motors as the AWD cars. You can find the info if you search.

Your Vin number should tell you if you have a performance.

Free Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) Decoder & Lookup

Scroll down to other engine info, it should say dual motor-performance.
I have a LR AWD... but it says “dual motor-performance “ does this mean I have stealth performance? I’ve heard AWD & Performance MY have the same engines and it’s just software that unlocks the faster 0-60 time

Reactions: anon125110

that's not quite right.

Up until sometime in early/mid 2019 all model 3s came with the same rear drive unit (the 980)

Sometime during early/mid 2019 (seemed to vary by region- the EU-destined cars got them first) the LR AWD (non-P) cars began being built with a different rear DU- the 990.

Everything else, including all versions of the P, continue to be built with the same 980 they always have been.

There's never, ever, been any drive unit difference between the P+ vs P-

Possibly worth nothing for this thread- From early reports the 980 DU is also coming in the rear of all Model Ys at the moment, P or not.

Possibly this is for simplicity as they ramp production and the non-P AWD may eventually switch to the lesser 990 DU as the 3 eventually did, but that's unknown right now.

• Informative
Reactions: anon125110
Thanks to all those that answered. I was able to confirm it is the performance version. It has the red underline under Dual Motor on both the display and the rear "Dual Motor" badge and it has Chill and Sport in the setup display. I also confirmed via the VIN (Dual Motor Performance). I haven't yet timed it to 60 mph.