TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

How do I wash my new Roadster 1.5?

Discussion in 'Roadster' started by xytor, Feb 2, 2015.

1. xytor

xytor Roadster #221

Hi,
    I've been driving my new roadster #221 from the seller's house to mine. (about 1500 miles) Now that I'm almost home (90 miles away), the roadster is dirty from all sorts of things inside and out. i know i need to wash it by hand, but between the fan holes and squeaky roof, I'm wondering what the actual washing technique is?

thanks!

2. wiztecy

wiztecy Active Member

Don't force water or point water down the two side vents behind the doors, don't force water into the front two fans, don't force water into the rear blower motor, and also don't force water into the charge port door when open.

3. cdave

cdave Member

Wash by hand using straight strokes, not circles. Rinse cloth frequently in clean water and change when dirty. Use an electric leaf blower to dry starting from the high points and working the water down the car with gravity.

4. xytor

xytor Roadster #221

That makes sense, thanks!
    BTW, do you guys think that I could leave it parked backwards on a steep driveway? I don't feel as confident in the hand brake as I would if it had a real parking brake...

5. wiztecy

wiztecy Active Member

It has a parking claw in the rear diff, no worries about it rolling away when the key is turned off. You'll hear the claw engage as the Roadster moves forward. It has a clunk sound.

6. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

It is a "real" parking brake. Old school

7. augkuo

augkuo Member

8. xytor

xytor Roadster #221

It would move backwards if the brake failed, and hit the house. Is it still safe?

9. djp

djp Roadster 2.0 VIN939

10. wiztecy

wiztecy Active Member

The parking claw prevents the car from moving forward or backward. Yes its safe, hence why it was put in since an EV motor provides no resistance when off.

11. spaceballs

spaceballs Member

For steep angles, I wouldn't exclusively trust the park lock on the borgwarner edrive transmission, as all the force is around here.
    capture2.png

I would use the emergency brake handle in tandem.

12. wiztecy

wiztecy Active Member

No doubt, its lots of stress for the claw to handle alone when on an incline. But be aware how hot your rear rotors are, pulling the hand brake when they're hot have been known to warp them.

13. supersnoop

supersnoop Tesla Roadster #334

I use a "waterless" car wash and "fast wax" with a stack of clean microfiber cloths in the trunk at all times. A clean, freshly waxed car will give you a little extra range.

14. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

I use the same wash technique as @supersnoop.

However, I have not observed the range increase from a fresh waxing ;-)

15. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

Unless you've just come off hot laps at the local track, this is unlikely to be an issue with an electric car.

16. adiggs

adiggs Active Member

ecarfan is just being all sciencey on you @supersnoop. He knows in his heart that his car drives better and is more nimble when freshly washed.

I do my own variant of the 2 bucket method. I've got a stack of microfibers for washing the car. Toss about 10 or 12 of them into the wash bucket with the wash water. Each cloth gets pulled out of the bucket, used to wash one section of the car, and then goes into the discard pile (a second bucket). Somewhere between 8 and 12 cloths to wash the whole car. When done, the used microfibers go into the washing machine and washed for the next time around. There is no "rinse frequently and switch when towels get dirty" :) If I needed 20, then that's what would go into the wash bucket.

17. xytor

xytor Roadster #221

Since I'm lazy, I think I'll just take the roadster to the Eco Car Cafe. They'll wash it by hand. I'll let y'all know how it goes.

18. xytor

xytor Roadster #221

They did a very good job. It looks brand new except a few scuffs that will need to be polished and waxed later when I have more time and money.

19. tvuolo

tvuolo Member

One thing I've found with the Roadsters is that the paint is much easier to correct than my BMW. I was able to use some very light products and non-aggressive pads to get out most of the scratches and swirls. They really clean up well!

Of course, it could be that my Roadster has 12K miles and my BMW has 100K miles.

20. xytor

xytor Roadster #221

Cool! That's a relief :)