Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How do you deal with cold steering wheel ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've tried those add-on heated steering wheel covers. Would not recommend.

A touchscreen compatible glove is going to be your best bet.

You can even get heated gloves if you want. I like to keep cabin heater usage low but don't like cold hands, so I went this route and got a pair of light-duty heated gloves that plug into the 12V socket under the armrest and I sewed a little conductive fabric patch onto the tip of the right index finger so I could still use the touchscreen. It's keeps my hands nice and comfy and I'm pleased with it overall.

Rechargeable battery-powered heated gloves are also an option and would be a cleaner solution because you wouldn't have any wires to worry about.

My other car had a heated wheel. And I never missed having a heated wheel in the Model 3 because the electric heat was so fast and direct towards your hands. Now maybe with the new heat pump it might not be as quick and you’d want a heated wheel.

Precondition the car
Wear gloves
Complain about how peasant cars like the Leaf have a heated wheel and we don't.

I never knew how much I wanted a heated wheel until I had a Model S as a loaner while my car was in service. Don't like the S in general but damn I loved that heated wheel. Feels good just to turn it on while driving in the cold, not just for prewarming.

• Love
Reactions: EVNation
Those of us who live in colder climate have more important things to worry about like shovelling the snow off the car and guessing where the lane is.

I have a manual car with a metal shift knob. If this thread was about how to shift with a freezing shift knob then I would understand. The model 3s non heated steering wheel is a luxury to me.

Reactions: Saturday
Man you guys are rough... I've seen that on facebook groups but I thought this forum was nicer ;)
I live in annoyingly cold climate too and my hands are always freezing. I wear gloves but don't like the feeling while driving. I guess we need pilot gloves :) the best suggestion I've seen is to redirect the air vents to the steering wheel. I'll have to try something like that.

Man you guys are rough... I've seen that on facebook groups but I thought this forum was nicer ;)
I live in annoyingly cold climate too and my hands are always freezing. I wear gloves but don't like the feeling while driving. I guess we need pilot gloves :) the best suggestion I've seen is to redirect the air vents to the steering wheel. I'll have to try something like that.

(moderator note: The responses, other than the one I moved to snippiness, arent so bad. Most give some suggestions along with a bit of snark which is fine. personal attacks arent so that one I moved)

Never had a heated steering wheel before so never realized this was a problem for people. Thanks to the nature of EVs, preheating has limited my glove use compared to last car but, when I do wear them, touch screen friendly gloves are helpful. Reality is, the large icons make adjusting things with (TS capable) gloves much easier in this vehicle than my old one with knobs and tiny buttons; do wish the voice commands for radio stations were working again, though.

Plus 1 on directing the vents to the steering wheel. Wish there was a preheat (or even winter) mode which would automatically direct the inner stream to the wheel while outer stream could defrost the side window.

Reactions: android04
I've never had a car with a heated steering wheel and it's not something I need. I don't even wear gloves outside unless the wind chill is below 0°F. But I always carry gloves in my car during winter just in case. If I were someone that got cold hands I would carry light gloves around in my jacket pockets instead so they stay warm.

Hello all. For those of you live in below freezing level, how do you warm up your steering wheel during winter ? I find pre heating does not improve the temperature of the steering wheel. Just wondering if you guys have any hacks?
How did you deal with it before your got the model 3? Or before you got a car that had heated steering wheel? I guess you’ve always had a car with heated steering wheel?