Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How do you deal with valet?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had to valet mine for the first time yesterday (it's the only option at The Icon hotel, Houston). It was one of those parking garages where the cars are squeezed in every-which-way, so I wasn't too happy, but they parked mine in a very prominent spot, and all seemed OK the next day. And only $28 for the privilege (plus tip). Bargain. :crying: The valet's did all seem to know about the Model S though, I guess if you're staying at a hotel that only valets, the chances are good it's a decent hotel, and has probably seen a few Model S's by now, at least in the states where sales are stronger (east coast/west coast, TX, FL etc)

I've valeted many times. My garage in NYC where I park daily for work is, effectively, a valet. They have always treated the car carefully, and with the regular guys I do tip to ensure continued careful parking. For restaurants I don't generally mind, and then tend to park her right in front. I actually don't like that, as you always come back to a car with hand prints on the windows.

The only time I've not let a valet park my car was when I saw him nail a curb with the car ahead of me. When I told him I would park it for him he didn't argue. This was back in early December 2012, and no one really had seen a Model S on the east coast. The guy had no idea what the car was, and when I said it was electric is actually laughed. I did the whole game of explaining how it has 100% torque! blah, blah! blah! touch screen! blah blah blah and then said, "wait until you see what is under the hood! Popped the frunk and the guy nearly fainted. At that point I think he was afraid to touch the thing.

I use Canopy Parking (Valet) at DIA all the time. They specialize in valeting Model S, even have 8+ juicebars they rotate between their EVs. Not unusual to see half dozen Model S there on any given day.

Now over Christmas I decided to use Valet service at a Denver restaurant, it was a huge time saver compared to finding your own spot. I pulled up, asked if they knew how to start, stop, and park a Model S, which received as resounding Yes. I gave the attendant to Fob, went inside and ate. Returning after 1.5 hours to find the car right where I left it. After asking what happened they said their valets that know how to drive it (both of them) were off and forget about it until someone sat in the car and could figure it out. However, they said it was dutifully watched by everybody, and the hit of most other customers coming and going.

Living in Los Angeles there are Valet's everywhere. I've found that most of them do know the Model S by now. That said, I would much rather just park the car myself. I ALWAYS ask. Last night I got very lucky. On our way to dinner in Hollywood.... the wife had heels on and as we were approaching, I gave her my usual, "Honey, be just a little patient with me. I want to find a street spot and avoid valet". I got the usual argument back, "blah blah, we should have taken my car (Ranger Rover, soon to be replaced by Model X :))". Sure enough, RIGHT in front of the restaurant on Sunset Blvd, there was a loading zone spot, that if you read the sign it IS OK to park there at the time I arrived.

So I park, slap on my magnetic front plate bracket - and we walk right in. Quicker, Safer, Cheaper than Valet. Sometimes it all just works out!

$20 for a valet?!? And I felt robbed paying them $5 to drive the car for 60 seconds.

South Beach is generally crazy expensive for valet parking, and many of the best restaurants are part of hotels, where the daily rate might be around $40/day to park, so the $20 is a "discount"!

Even in less crowded places than South Beach, valets will generally charge more ($10 instead of $5, for example), to keep the car up front instead of driving it to whatever offsite lot they use. Definitely not something I've ever considered doing before, but Model S will make you do insane things sometimes! :)

Outside of LA and some parts of SF, the Model S is considered a prize by management and the valets will often park it out front. I used valet at a local resort about a month age and they parked it out front for all to see. I specifically asked the guy if he's ever driven a Tesla and he did the "sure we get lots of them" dance. I asked "how do you lock it?" He thought for a second and said, "I think it locks itself" so I handed him the fob. Sitting at the bar, I could see it and there was a never ending stream of people checking it out. Definitely aided the image efforts of the resort. All the Mercedes & Beemers got parked in the back lot. Lol. Oh and valet was complimentary.

Then last week I had a meeting at a Hotel and there was no parking to be had so I drove into valet at the front entrance. The guy (probably 60) said "I have no idea how to drive that thing, why don't you just parked right here" (meaning right next to the hotel front door which had a Pickup/Dropoff sign. So I did. Made for a fast getaway as I was late to the next meeting...

Thanks for the info everyone! Sadly in Dallas there are some places that only provide valet. I've never had a car before that this has been an issue... but we know. As I'm dating I'm trying to find the right way to nonchalantly deal with valets (so that I'm not looking that 'that guy/jerk') while definitely worrying that something bad will happen.

Hopefully I can get them to just let me park upfront and not worry about anything.

Yeah.. if you're on a date, just leave the fob in the car (or hand it to them), go, and don't worry about it. If you start obsessing over the car with the valet, your date(s) will most certainly get the wrong idea. Not worth the risk!

I had to valet the car for the first time this weekend.. I didn't like it, but had no choice. Everything went fine. It's just a leap of faith. I'm much more concerned with dents/damage (which can happen to any car) than I am with them knowing how to operate the car, which is pretty easy to figure out the first time, especially since the controls are familiar. There are a lot of MSs in this town, so I was pretty sure the valets at this restaurant were plenty familiar.

I actually have been enjoying reactions from valet attendants. The first time I did it (had to) was a bit nervous but pretty cool to see it on the app. Also when the car was returned to me the valet said to me "wow i love this car - so cool, like a space ship" -- that made me feel great.

I actually have been enjoying reactions from valet attendants. The first time I did it (had to) was a bit nervous but pretty cool to see it on the app. Also when the car was returned to me the valet said to me "wow i love this car - so cool, like a space ship" -- that made me feel great.

They do give you a futuristic feel. I think the door handles really add to the effect.

I take it the Model S unlike the Roadster does not have a Valet mode? With the Roadster I can go into Valet mode and the car is limited to 50 mph max speed, 1/2 power and locks the trunk. It also tells you how far the Valet drove and how many times they tried to open the car or defeat the valet mode. A very nice feature and give great peace of mind.

I take it the Model S unlike the Roadster does not have a Valet mode? With the Roadster I can go into Valet mode and the car is limited to 50 mph max speed, 1/2 power and locks the trunk. It also tells you how far the Valet drove and how many times they tried to open the car or defeat the valet mode. A very nice feature and give great peace of mind.

No, the Model S does not have that yet. I like the feature list you describe and hope that the upcoming Valet mode incorporates all of those!

I frequently go places here in Atlanta that are valet only and it's no big deal. Even last May when I got my car they all knew how to operate it already. I've only had to explain to one person in almost a whole year. The perk is that they will typically park a Tesla upfront, so no risk of break-ins, mistreatment, or even long adventuresome drives.

Honolulu as a city is relatively small and most of the restaurants with valets are in Honolulu. Per capita, we have one of the largest registered owners of the Model S. Therefore, the valets are becoming more familiar with driving the Model S. Daniel Dae Kim has a Model S and we have several prestigious owners in Hawaii, so it is common for the valets to know how to drive our Model S.

Used the valet. Tipped right away to be parked out front of the restaurant. 15 minutes later, checked my iPhone app and saw doors, front and rear hatch open and close. Went out immediately: "What are you guys doing?" "I paid you to park it, not play with it . . ." Then gave them a quick brief on how to properly close the hood and showed them the details of the rest of the car. Knowing that owners of the Model S can monitor their cars was a good lesson for them . . .

Used the valet. Tipped right away to be parked out front of the restaurant. 15 minutes later, checked my iPhone app and saw doors, front and rear hatch open and close. Went out immediately: "What are you guys doing?" "I paid you to park it, not play with it . . ." Then gave them a quick brief on how to properly close the hood and showed them the details of the rest of the car. Knowing that owners of the Model S can monitor their cars was a good lesson for them . . .

Frunk is a particularly bad thing for them to be opening. Well actually, it's the closing that I worry about - lots of reports of creases in the hook from people slamming the frunk shut.