Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How do you keep the car unlocked in the garage?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am struggling with the same thing. I am new to Tesla and find it odd on how all of this On/Off Lock/Unlock works in my own garage. The car should be able to tell I am in the garage and turn it off when I leave the car for x minutes.

The other day I had the AC on when I was driving home. I have always kept my FOB in my car and my car unlocked in my own garage, and would like to continue to do so. Anyway, I charge it and think all is off. But then go back into the garage and hear the AC running. I may have to go back to locking my car as well. Silly IMHO.

This seems to be the way things are moving these days. I just got a new front door deadbolt and now my phone is my key to the house too. Geo fenced so when I walk up, it unlocks. I guess I can't run out of battery power though while at the neighbors.

Nothing I know of yet but I do think I read about an update that might allow you to set a geo fence to keep the car unlocked. Of course if you ever leave the car outside it will also be unlocked. Just speculation right now.

I would love that. Can't tell you how many times I've gone down to the garage without my phone and scream *sugar* I forgot my phone again.

I think I'm gonna buy an extra key card and mount it in a little pocket on the wall next to the drivers door if they don't come up with a fix.

Of course if you ever leave the car outside it will also be unlocked. Just speculation right now.

Yes, that's the downside and may be the reason this hasn't been implemented. Perhaps it's a liability issue for Tesla. "Hey, I left my car in the driveway and it didn't lock and someone stole it!"

We've implemented the Garage profile, and have gotten into the habit of selecting it when parking in the garage. If we forget, it's just a short trip back into the house to get the phone.