Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How do you listen to music in your Tesla?

How do you primarily listen to music in your Tesla?

• Spotify using Tesla's account

• Spotify with a subscription account

• Tidal with a subscription account

• TuneIn

• Bluetooth streaming

• Files stored on a USB stick or SSD

• Radio

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ll most likely be using the built in Spotify account and Bluetooth as I’m tied into Apple Music and Podcasts, which I’m dreading because there appears to be no interface and left to rely on Siri which isn’t something I like to do…

I’ve created a TuneIn account but annoyingly I can’t add any podcast streams from Patreon. Has anyone managed to get around this at all? If I could do that then I can just add music to Spotify and not have to rely on my phone

I’ll most likely be using the built in Spotify account and Bluetooth as I’m tied into Apple Music and Podcasts, which I’m dreading because there appears to be no interface and left to rely on Siri which isn’t something I like to do…

I’ve created a TuneIn account but annoyingly I can’t add any podcast streams from Patreon. Has anyone managed to get around this at all? If I could do that then I can just add music to Spotify and not have to rely on my phone
Why not use a Spotify account for podcasts?

I already pay for Apple Music so I don’t want to pay for Spotify on top of that
Why not stop paying for Apple Music and use Spotify instead. I'm not really sure I understand why people get stuck into one platform, it's not like you own the music. I appreciate that it can be annoying to recreate favorites and playlists, but not as much as using bluetooth audio rather than the app when driving. I used to you Youtube music, but gave that up for Spotify as it just works.

Why not stop paying for Apple Music and use Spotify instead. I'm not really sure I understand why people get stuck into one platform, it's not like you own the music. I appreciate that it can be annoying to recreate favorites and playlists, but not as much as using bluetooth audio rather than the app when driving. I used to you Youtube music, but gave that up for Spotify as it just works.
I’ve got a family account, I don’t like how Spotify works (I don’t do playlists, I’m old school and listen to full albums) and to be honest I can’t be bothered to move everything over as my library is about 20 years old and shifting that over is a pain.

Reactions: CSMoore
I’ve got a family account, I don’t like how Spotify works (I don’t do playlists, I’m old school and listen to full albums) and to be honest I can’t be bothered to move everything over as my library is about 20 years old and shifting that over is a pain.
I'm not sure what you mean, Spotify plays full albums, it would be a pretty weird music service if it did not. The free Tesla account is restricted, only allow playlists, but when you sign in as a regular paid account you get your lists of artists, albums, podcasts etc.

It's also very easy to move your favorites and playlists between services using the Songshift App on iPhone.

Anyway, each to their own, enjoy bluetooth quality and siri

Reasons people may not switch -
  1. More expensive if their existing streaming service is bundled with other services (like Apple One for example)
  2. Time spent training the recommendation algorithm of the service they’re already using to know what music they like
  3. Compatibility with other family members who use the same service (family plans, etc.)
  4. Compatibility with other existing products they own (I still don’t think Spotify is one of the 3rd party streaming services you can set as the default source on HomePod, whatever you say)
Sure, switching to Spotify would make my Tesla experience better, but it would break my home audio experience and cost me more money. It’s not as if the Tesla is the only thing I’ll own that I use for listening to music.

Another vote for Spotify subscription (part of a family account) - I have reservations about how they treat artists but you can't argue with the convenience. Then 6 Music on DAB, plus occasional podcasts (also Spotify) and audiobooks (Audible via Bluetooth). The updated UI makes it much easier to switch between Spotify, the radio and Bluetooth (I've pinned all three in place). I've been meaning to try Tidal (again) as am a bit of a music/hifi nerd, but justifying two subscriptions is difficult.

But, in summary: the (premium) sound system is definitely one of the best things about an excellent (if sometimes infuriating!) car. :)

Reasons people may not switch -
  1. More expensive if their existing streaming service is bundled with other services (like Apple One for example)
  2. Time spent training the recommendation algorithm of the service they’re already using to know what music they like
  3. Compatibility with other family members who use the same service (family plans, etc.)
  4. Compatibility with other existing products they own (I still don’t think Spotify is one of the 3rd party streaming services you can set as the default source on HomePod, whatever you say)
Sure, switching to Spotify would make my Tesla experience better, but it would break my home audio experience and cost me more money. It’s not as if the Tesla is the only thing I’ll own that I use for listening to music.

Apple one is our big one - need the 200GB (almost need more now) and its more competitive than a family spotify account.

Also Apple music lets you upload your own music - wife has lots of old 80s jpop that isn’t on streaming services but she can play them through apple music.

I find Siri not bad - you can shout at it and it’ll talk to you through the car speakers as a ‘phone call’. Honestly often easier than prodding at a touch screen while driving, and if you’re stopped then using the phone is no different to the car screen. and you can still skip tracks from the steering wheel. For those that like podcasts, I use overcast on iphone and that lets me skip forward/back 30 seconds with the steering wheel

As others, I have had Apple Music for years and would prefer that but the Bluetooth experience is not compatible with how I use the system so I’ve been paying for Spotify to use in the car. I‘m currently on a Tidal trial which does sound better in the car so I may cancel the Spotify service and switch to Tidal for in-car listening.

Hopefully one day Apple Music will be added as a service…

I’m old skool, listen to the radio more than anything else, mainly because I can’t be arsed creating playlists, or thinking of stuff I’d like to listen to at any given time. I even “shock horror” sometimes drive with nothing at all. I have an apple account so not having that in the car is a bit crap, also have spotify premium now too as a trial (not sure I’ll keep it though.
I haven’t even looked into how to stream from the phone (hate Siri so she’s turned off lol). I had a USB in my previous car but it’s USB A so no good in the M3, at some point I may get around to buying a small (physically) USB C to transfer onto.
Overall I’m still in the “did I make a mistake” camp on buying into Tesla at all, but will have to crack on now 😂

I’m old skool, listen to the radio more than anything else, mainly because I can’t be arsed creating playlists, or thinking of stuff I’d like to listen to at any given time. I even “shock horror” sometimes drive with nothing at all. I have an apple account so not having that in the car is a bit crap, also have spotify premium now too as a trial (not sure I’ll keep it though.
I haven’t even looked into how to stream from the phone (hate Siri so she’s turned off lol). I had a USB in my previous car but it’s USB A so no good in the M3, at some point I may get around to buying a small (physically) USB C to transfer onto.
Overall I’m still in the “did I make a mistake” camp on buying into Tesla at all, but will have to crack on now 😂

you can buy a cheap USB C to A adapter and use your existing stick.

For streaming if your phone is connected by bluetooth, you just need to start playing on your phone and select ‘bluetooth’ as the input on the music player app

you can buy a cheap USB C to A adapter and use your existing stick.

For streaming if your phone is connected by bluetooth, you just need to start playing on your phone and select ‘bluetooth’ as the input on the music player app
Thanks for the advice. I could buy an adapter yes but I buy the smallest physical size USB,s because I dislike things pocking out excessively lol. Yes even in places I can’t see, to me it’s just something else to get crap caught on🤣.
If I use Bluetooth can I actually control the music using the car tablet or am I stuck with using the phone or Siri? If it’s a case of Siri or the phone then it’s a non starter for me personally.

• Funny
Reactions: Mrklaw
you can skip/pause/rewind etc with the left wheel but you can’t browse the contents of the device. Thats enough for me as I’ll get a playlist started before setting off and then just skip when needed.
Does anyone know why you can't browse the contents of the device? I was really surprised at that on my test drive. Every other car I've had with bluetooth going back years allowed you to browse through the folder system of the phone (artist > album > track / playlists), so it's weird that Tesla doesn't include this functionality. I guess maybe they're trying to encourage you to use Spotify or Tidal instead so only providing the basics where bluetooth is concerned?

That said, I use Siri for selecting music on HomePods in my house already as I say. It really isn't bad, I find that it works most of the time. For picking playlists it is fine. The only time I sometimes struggle is if I want to play a particular album and it has a weird name, or if I want to play a particular album and I can't remember its name. But mostly if I'm listening to an album it'll be because the band has just brought out a new album, so most of the time I'll just say "hey Siri, play the new album by <insert band name here>"

And actually, the thought occurs to me that this is probably safer anyway. Apple CarPlay in previous cars has been great, but I must admit that digging around deep within your music library on a touchscreen perhaps isn't the safest thing to do while driving. Even though it's a bigger screen, and better located, I can't see that it's vastly safer than just digging around in your music library on your phone while you drive. So although I do wish that Tesla had Apple Music, or at least the ability to view your library over bluetooth, being forced to use "hey Siri" may actually not be the worst thing in the world.

Reactions: Mrklaw
Does anyone know why you can't browse the contents of the device? I was really surprised at that on my test drive. Every other car I've had with bluetooth going back years allowed you to browse through the folder system of the phone (artist > album > track / playlists), so it's weird that Tesla doesn't include this functionality. I guess maybe they're trying to encourage you to use Spotify or Tidal instead so only providing the basics where bluetooth is concerned?

That said, I use Siri for selecting music on HomePods in my house already as I say. It really isn't bad, I find that it works most of the time. For picking playlists it is fine. The only time I sometimes struggle is if I want to play a particular album and it has a weird name, or if I want to play a particular album and I can't remember its name. But mostly if I'm listening to an album it'll be because the band has just brought out a new album, so most of the time I'll just say "hey Siri, play the new album by <insert band name here>"

And actually, the thought occurs to me that this is probably safer anyway. Apple CarPlay in previous cars has been great, but I must admit that digging around deep within your music library on a touchscreen perhaps isn't the safest thing to do while driving. Even though it's a bigger screen, and better located, I can't see that it's vastly safer than just digging around in your music library on your phone while you drive. So although I do wish that Tesla had Apple Music, or at least the ability to view your library over bluetooth, being forced to use "hey Siri" may actually not be the worst thing in the world.
I just dislike talking to any devices tbf, but can see why others are quite happy with it. The fact something is “earwigging” on my every word is something I just find disturbing🤣. I never had any issues with the idrive system on my previous BMW’s for controlling anything, thought I’d be fine with touchscreen only on the M3 but hindsight is a wonderful thing lol. I think I should’ve hired an M3 for a month before signing on the dotted line, there again it still wouldn’t have prepared me for controls changing with software updates would it🤔🤣

I just dislike talking to any devices tbf, but can see why others are quite happy with it. The fact something is “earwigging” on my every word is something I just find disturbing🤣. I never had any issues with the idrive system on my previous BMW’s for controlling anything, thought I’d be fine with touchscreen only on the M3 but hindsight is a wonderful thing lol. I think I should’ve hired an M3 for a month before signing on the dotted line, there again it still wouldn’t have prepared me for controls changing with software updates would it🤔🤣
Haha... take it you're not a fan of the new software then! Though, that may be the way of the world now, I expect even BMW will start doing it. My last car was a VW ID.3 and they changed the user interface layout a bit on that with an over-the-air software update too. Cars are just big phones on wheels these days!

With the earwigging, I'm pretty sure that the wake word 'hey Siri' detection is all done locally on your phone. So it is only when it hears those wake words that it might send the audio through to Apple's servers for speech recognition. Though actually, I think a lot more of the speech recognition itself is done locally on the phone too these days. But I know people don't always take software companies words for these things and are nervous all the same, so that's fair enough.

Haha... take it you're not a fan of the new software then! Though, that may be the way of the world now, I expect even BMW will start doing it. My last car was a VW ID.3 and they changed the user interface layout a bit on that with an over-the-air software update too. Cars are just big phones on wheels these days!

With the earwigging, I'm pretty sure that the wake word 'hey Siri' detection is all done locally on your phone. So it is only when it hears those wake words that it might send the audio through to Apple's servers for speech recognition. Though actually, I think a lot more of the speech recognition itself is done locally on the phone too these days. But I know people don't always take software companies words for these things and are nervous all the same, so that's fair enough.
Oh I know it’s all coming 🤦🏼‍♂️.. I may buy a pre 2017 ICE with a big engine just to give me a ”proper” car fix now and again.

Re earwigging, you ever noticed how ads on phones etc always seem to come up with things you mentioned recently or is it just me😂. Going to have to go “black ops” soon and drop off grid🤫🤣. I bought the wife the Amazon Alexa thingbob for home, bloody hate that thing too. No wonder the worlds becoming a bunch of fat fecks, no one wants to stand up & walk anymore😉