Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How do you listen to music in your Tesla?

How do you primarily listen to music in your Tesla?

• Spotify using Tesla's account

• Spotify with a subscription account

• Tidal with a subscription account

• TuneIn

• Bluetooth streaming

• Files stored on a USB stick or SSD

• Radio

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know this will be unusual, but what I like to listen to is quietness. I don't like the radio blasting out, I don't like their choice of music, and I prefer to be able to think. I can sing if I want music, for that matter, but generally any trips are made with quiet conversation. Once in a while I'll blue tooth one of the albums on my phone, but I don't need everlasting noise pelting me.

"blasting out" "I don't need everlasting noise pelting me" ... I have the solution: I can set the volume control accordingly! ;)

Switched from Spotify on the car's subscription to Tidal via the three month free trial. It may be my imagination and my ears playing tricks, but I do think Tidal is a better audio quality than Spotify, Bluetooth and USB. I'm fairly sure I'll be keeping it after the trial comes to an end. I've also started using it over Spotify on my laptop and phone.
Took a while to create the playlists I wanted, but they're down now and just get added to occasionally.
Just need a 'shuffle' button and it would be perfect for me.
Have to agree, the Tidal app in the Tesla sounds crisper to my ears too. +1 for shuffle.

Reactions: Tinca
Switched from Spotify on the car's subscription to Tidal via the three month free trial. It may be my imagination and my ears playing tricks, but I do think Tidal is a better audio quality than Spotify, Bluetooth and USB. I'm fairly sure I'll be keeping it after the trial comes to an end. I've also started using it over Spotify on my laptop and phone.
Took a while to create the playlists I wanted, but they're down now and just get added to occasionally.
Just need a 'shuffle' button and it would be perfect for me.
I cancelled my Spotify acc as it keeps changing artist after about 3 songs, damn annoying imo. I put an artist in that’s who I want to listen to, not some random crap Spotify thinks is similar lol.
I miss apple play in my old car a lot more than I thought I would tbh. I stick with radio for the most part now

Reactions: BitJam
I use Spotify with the Tesla account for music and Tune-in for podcasts. But I'm now curious about Tidal having heard reports of even better sound.
It's free for three months, so what is there to lose? It is more data heavy than Spotify, so can take a while to load tracks if the signal isn't great. Worth it for the sound difference though.

Reactions: Peteski
Question about tunein podcasts. I have logged into my account, the free one, but it seems that if I don’t finish a podcast then when I go back it’s at the start and not start where I left off.

Does anyone know if it’s possible to start where I left off?

Question about tunein podcasts. I have logged into my account, the free one, but it seems that if I don’t finish a podcast then when I go back it’s at the start and not start where I left off.

Does anyone know if it’s possible to start where I left off?
I find it's a bit random. Sometimes it does actually remember where you left off and sometimes it doesn't!

I don’t have my car yet, but i’ll mostly be using bluetooth and the usb. i refuse to give money to Spotify as they treat artists so badly and have been spineless in their response to dissent and subversion from within their disloyal employee base (the Joe Rogan debacle being a prime example).
I buy a lot of music from Beatport, bandcamp, and soundcloud and use iTunes for my music management and playlist creation, and store files locally on either my phone or usb sticks.
Apple carplay would be a bonus, but it’s absense is not a deal breaker, as the Tesla sound system is better SQ than the other cars I was cross shopping (eg BMW Harmon Kardon, KIA Meridian)

I've ripped all my CDs onto a tiny USB drive and in my current car there's a USB socket tucked away inside the centre console. I'd like to do the same in the Tesla, after all I tested the centre console USB socket in the Model 3 on the test drive in November and it worked a treat. Can't see a flaw with that plan.

Reactions: Obiwanjr
I've ripped all my CDs onto a tiny USB drive and in my current car there's a USB socket tucked away inside the centre console. I'd like to do the same in the Tesla, after all I tested the centre console USB socket in the Model 3 on the test drive in November and it worked a treat. Can't see a flaw with that plan.
You might need to use the USB that's 'tucked away' in the glove box instead, but either way you can play music from a USB. I'm not sure that the interface to access it is brilliant.

The bit where you couldn't figure out how Spotify works and then resorted to radio, which is the "random crap" you were attempting to avoid.
I’m driving a car not operating a bloody disco lol. Wife couldn’t work it either sat in passenger seat. Why if you select play an artist does it suddenly decide you need to listen to some other stuff.
If I select a radio station then I know it’ll be random plus talking so it’s not an issue is it. That’s a bit like saying I went on holiday abroad and was surprised how few people spoke English🤦🏼‍♂️ If I select an artist I expect that artist to be played, why should I pay for something that doesn’t do what it should?

I’m driving a car not operating a bloody disco lol. Wife couldn’t work it either sat in passenger seat. Why if you select play an artist does it suddenly decide you need to listen to some other stuff.
If I select a radio station then I know it’ll be random plus talking so it’s not an issue is it. That’s a bit like saying I went on holiday abroad and was surprised how few people spoke English🤦🏼‍♂️ If I select an artist I expect that artist to be played, why should I pay for something that doesn’t do what it should?
If you choose an artist, I think it defaults to a shortlist of their highest rated songs and when that list finishes it then starts playing similar songs. But it's not hard to play specific albums by an artist or playlists of your own choosing. It's really not that hard to operate - for most!

The only flaw is that you are less likely to discover any new music. The game-changer for me going to Spotify was exploring new (and old) music rather than trawling through the same old stuff, which can get quite stale after a while. Plus there is no more ripping of CDs required or any sort of organisation. I often play stuff that just pops up into my head - like a tune I haven't heard for years. More of a free-range approach with literally millions of songs on tap.