Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How do you replace Model X wiper blades?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There's a better thermal image than mine, but here's the one I took of the heating elements in the windshield for the cold weather package. You can see the dark wiper on the left of the picture, and the heating element is large in comparison. It pretty much fills the black area at the bottom of the windshield.
Well, that's pretty definitive. You can see the actual heating element in the IR photo. Thanks for posting.

There's a better thermal image than mine, but here's the one I took of the heating elements in the windshield for the cold weather package. You can see the dark wiper on the left of the picture, and the heating element is large in comparison. It pretty much fills the black area at the bottom of the windshield.

OK, now I am really confused.... is it an element heated windshield or an enhanced defrost mode? It makes a difference, because I am getting my windshield replaced this month due to ghosting and if there are heating elements in some windshields and not others, then I need to make sure I get the right one.

OK, now I am really confused.... is it an element heated windshield or an enhanced defrost mode? It makes a difference, because I am getting my windshield replaced this month due to ghosting and if there are heating elements in some windshields and not others, then I need to make sure I get the right one.
That is indeed a good question. My guess is that it's in the dash, not the glass, because that's much easier for Tesla to control and it permits more heating ability. Looking at my X, that's certainly the way I'd have designed it. But no guarantees. You should be able to tell if you go out there with a flashlight. Does it have the "lines" of a defroster/defogger?

I found these wiper blades online from NAPA that show compatibility with the MX:
https://www.napaonline.com/napa/en/p/OWINBH28/OWINBH28_028443827
Edit: that was for the driver's side. Here is the link for both sides:
https://www.napaonline.com/napa/en/search/?text=Wiper blade&isApplication=true&isInterchange=true&referer=search_form-savedveh

I don't think these are the perforated blades required for a MX. Perforation is required to allow washer fluid to flow through to the windshield.

Reactions: akhafagi
You should be able to tell if you go out there with a flashlight. Does it have the "lines" of a defroster/defogger?
The heated area has the same black masking as the rest of the windshield and no heating element lines are visible from any angle as far as I can see. I wouldn't call it an enhanced defrost mode because part of the windshield that is heated is not visible from inside the vehicle. It's all below the dash. Some of the heat might propagate up into the viewable windshield, but probably not very far.

• Informative
Reactions: ohmman
The heated area has the same black masking as the rest of the windshield and no heating element lines are visible from any angle as far as I can see. I wouldn't call it an enhanced defrost mode because part of the windshield that is heated is not visible from inside the vehicle. It's all below the dash. Some of the heat might propagate up into the viewable windshield, but probably not very far.
The thermal image you posted earlier sure gives the impression that there are heating elements in the windshield. What else would explain the symmetrical pattern of lines forming right angles to each other?

Reactions: FarmerDave
The thermal image you posted earlier sure gives the impression that there are heating elements in the windshield. What else would explain the symmetrical pattern of lines forming right angles to each other?
The heating elements could be behind the glass on the dash where the glass covers. The heat would still radiate through the glass and produce the thermal image shown.

• Informative
Reactions: EV-lutioin
The heating elements could be behind the glass on the dash where the glass covers. The heat would still radiate through the glass and produce the thermal image shown.
I believe this is the case, based on the fact that there don't appear to be heating elements inside of the glass, per @Dazureus. It also makes more sense from a manufacturing and service standpoint.

It could be that there are heating elements attached to the glass, but behind the glass masking, which is why you can't see them from the front of the glass. I don't know anything about how the mask and heating elements are applied to glass and if they can layer them like that. There's a visible heating element in front of the forward facing camera, and I think I've read in a windshield replacement thread that the camera module comes attached to the glass for replacement. It's not too far fetched that the lower element needs to also be plugged in during a glass replacement. Even though the thermal camera is low resolution, the heated lines are pretty crisp. I would expect more heat diffusion if the heat source wasn't attached directly to the glass, even if they were in direct contact.

Reactions: FarmerDave
Here they are.... it looks like they are made by Bosch for Tesla (see Tesla name on bracket), but, as far as I can tell, you can't buy them from Bosch, you have to order them from your Tesla Service Center. Note the perforations and the hose assembly. $55.00 plus tax, oddly no shipping charges were added, so total with tax was $59.13.
IMG_0310.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0309.jpg
    IMG_0309.jpg
    224.9 KB · Views: 373
  • IMG_0311.jpg
    IMG_0311.jpg
    206.5 KB · Views: 373
  • IMG_0313.jpg
    IMG_0313.jpg
    271.3 KB · Views: 379
  • IMG_0312.jpg
    IMG_0312.jpg
    231.5 KB · Views: 386
On another note, they are the easiest wiper blade I have ever replaced!
Were you not able to get them replaced under warranty? My wipers are useless since delivery. It started raining here in SoCal and they are the worst wipers I've ever had. I can barely see in the rain because they create so much streaks. It's too blurry and visibility is non-existence.

Were you not able to get them replaced under warranty? My wipers are useless since delivery. It started raining here in SoCal and they are the worst wipers I've ever had. I can barely see in the rain because they create so much streaks. It's too blurry and visibility is non-existence.

I think the streaks are due to something on the windshield (waxy buildup?) because my new blades were no better. The only thing that made the streaks go away was an abundance of rainy weather... and I still need to use some sort of solvent to remove the last of the streaks. What the heck did they put on the windshields during production to create all those steaks?

Reactions: Fiddler
I think the streaks are due to something on the windshield (waxy buildup?) because my new blades were no better. The only thing that made the streaks go away was an abundance of rainy weather... and I still need to use some sort of solvent to remove the last of the streaks. What the heck did they put on the windshields during production to create all those steaks?
I see what you mean as I do see those streaks on the windshield. However, the new blades definitely got rid of the water on those streaks vs the old blades left a lot of water and smudges on those streaks. I plan to apply some wax on the windshield and buff it out.

I see what you mean as I do see those streaks on the windshield. However, the new blades definitely got rid of the water on those streaks vs the old blades left a lot of water and smudges on those streaks. I plan to apply some wax on the windshield and buff it out.
Great idea! Just curious, is there a special kind of wax and buffer that are designed for windshields? I don't want to use the wrong substance/equipment and make things worse. :confused:

I would be hesitant about using wax on the windshield. From the owner's manual:

Contaminants on the windshield, or on the wiper blades, can reduce the effectiveness of the wiper blades. Contaminants include ice,
wax spray from car washes, washer fluid with bug and/or water repellent, bird droppings, tree sap, and other organic substances.
Follow these guidelines for cleaning:
• Clean the windshield using non-abrasive glass cleaner.
• Lift the wiper arm a short distance away from the windshield, just far enough to access the wiper blade, then wipe the blade clean using isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol or washer fluid. If the wipers remain ineffective after cleaning, the wipers may need to be replaced. The wiper washing system is an integrated part of the wiper blades and therefore it is not possible to replace just the wiper blades. For wiper replacement, contact Tesla Service.
Caution: Only use cleaning products approved for use on automotive glass and rubber. Inappropriate products can cause damage or smears, and create glare on the windshield.