Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How does a full wrap make sense?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In my opinion, a full wrap only make sense if you are the sole driver.

The wrap can save your car from stone chip but won't save the fender bender from your wife/girlfriend that's done at the parking lot. Might as well put that full PPF and only go for front PPF + Ceramic + extra money in TSLA stocks.

In my opinion, a full wrap only make sense if you are the sole driver.

The wrap can save your car from stone chip but won't save the fender bender from your wife/girlfriend that's done at the parking lot. Might as well put that full PPF and only go for front PPF + Ceramic + extra money in TSLA stocks.
LOL, I am the sole driver, but not at fault accidents happen even when we are driving. As I mentioned I had 3 in the past 2y with the last 1 totaling my car. I just bought 30 more shares of TSLA on the upturn to cost average those I bought at $305 :(

Well, I don't think that buying a Tesla is anything rational financially wise. It is fun and exciting, it helps to reduce pollution but....:) So I wouldn't worry to much about the rational of wrapping. I did a partial one by the way, to keep it good looking !

How do you save 50% of the expense on taxes?

With the wrap cost of $3.5-6k being 6-20% of the original car cost depending on the model, and at least double that compared to the resale value after 25k+miles I do not think the ROI is even close to being rationalized. This is not considering any sort of tax deduction as you mention.
Because I bought the car with my own company. I can deduct all investments in the car from the amount that I have to pay taxes on as it's a company vehicle. My wrap was 3200 Euro. 2 layers on the hood. I don't think it's unreasonable that a car with untouched paint will sell for at least 2k more than a car without a wrap on the second hand market.

Reactions: LandToSea
Well, I don't think that buying a Tesla is anything rational financially wise. It is fun and exciting, it helps to reduce pollution but....:) So I wouldn't worry to much about the rational of wrapping. I did a partial one by the way, to keep it good looking !
My break even point compared to what I was driving, Mustang GT, replacing the previous totaled car was at just over 4 years. Considering that I will keep the car at least 6y I say I am making a financially wise choice. I was looking at used AMGs in the same price range of the Mustang before the Tesla. $40k was what I found to need to spend on a car that I would not be miserable in 2+ hours a day so my budget was $40-45k.. View media item 119889

Reactions: DOC52
My break even point compared to what I was driving, Mustang GT, replacing the previous totaled car was at just over 4 years. Considering that I will keep the car at least 6y I say I am making a financially wise choice. I was looking at used AMGs in the same price range of the Mustang before the Tesla. $40k was what I found to need to spend on a car that I would not be miserable in 2+ hours a day so my budget was $40-45k.. View media item 119889
I hear you and you make sense but there is a big part of subjectivity. You wanted a certain type of car which I totally understand. I bought a 60k cad car. It is going to take a few years to financially level with a 15k cad car which could do the same job.

I hear you and you make sense but there is a big part of subjectivity. You wanted a certain type of car which I totally understand. I bought a 60k cad car. It is going to take a few years to financially level with a 15k cad car which could do the same job.
Of course there are always cheaper options. Heck, I could get up at 3a instead of 530a so I could bicycle to work. I could also ride share or ride a motorcycle. But, keeping focus with other car options the Tesla offers a value given Autopilot/Self Driving that no other car can. I especially appreciate this as it may have helped me avoid the last accident that totaled my car. There is also time value in my not losing 20 minutes a week filling up gas, or a couple hours every few months for oil changes. My hourly compensation rate is about $100/hr and there is always more work to do so I can place a figure of around $2500/yr on the time Tesla will save me. Yes, I am totally confirmation biasing. ;)

• Funny
Reactions: duanra
I’ve never befofe considered PPF or ceramic coating for my car. It doesn’t make financial sense for me - I drive on highways, local roads, some good, mostly bad, park at various stores, malls, restaurants, etc. Even occasionally drive in The Bronx. I park outdoors, in my driveway, year round. Everything from 2 feet of snow to 105 degree heat are possible.

So, my point being ... door dings, rock chips, etc are just reality. No PPF or ceramic is going to stop someone from opening their door into mine. It’s just a factor of life. I get it - I bought the Model 3 to drive it, not to put it in a museum.

All that said ... the one thing that’s driving me nuts are BUGS. The front bumper of Model 3 seems to be a bug catcher unlike anything else I’ve driven before. I think the “scoop” design is just catching them and holding their splatter.

So ... that said ... I’ve been wondering if a PPF on the front bumper would help the bug guts slide off? Sometimes it might be a week or 4 before I get the car washed - with those guts baking into the paint the whole time.

Anyone have success reducing the insect freeloaders by applying PPF? If it doesn’t make a real difference, I’ll save the $$$ and blow it on something much more fun ....

[/QUOTE]I guess I am looking for missing considerations that may sell me before it is too late to apply a wrap as the paint acquires any damage from daily driving.[/QUOTE]

I’m % wrapping my new, red Model 3 Performance (and adding a number of add’l protective items, like a clear wrap of the center console and an exoshield for
the windshield) because I’m allowing others to rent it on Turo in the Phoenix area.

[QUOTE="dmurphy, post: 3741469, member: 92108

So, my point being ... door dings, rock chips, etc are just reality. No PPF or ceramic is going to stop someone from opening their door into mine. It’s just a factor of life. I get it - I bought the Model 3 to drive it, not to put it in a museum.

All that said ... the one thing that’s driving me nuts are BUGS. The front bumper of Model 3 seems to be a bug catcher unlike anything else I’ve driven before. I think the “scoop” design is just catching them and holding their splatter.

So ... that said ... I’ve been wondering if a PPF on the front bumper would help the bug guts slide off? Sometimes it might be a week or 4 before I get the car washed - with those guts baking into the paint the whole time.

Anyone have success reducing the insect freeloaders by applying PPF? If it doesn’t make a real difference, I’ll save the $$$ and blow it on something much more fun ....[/QUOTE]

PPF makes bug cleanup simple and easy. Most times I merely gently wipe them off the front bumper with a microfiber cloth.

[QUOTE="dmurphy, post: 3741469, member: 92108

Anyone have success reducing the insect freeloaders by applying PPF? If it doesn’t make a real difference, I’ll save the $$$ and blow it on something much more fun ....

The irony of your statement is that a museum car wouldn't need protection but a DD car regularly exposed to risks does IF you want to always look at a minimally damaged finish without performing a regular painting refresh. I do think the bugs benefit of being able to just keep a rag in the trunk and wet it with some water and wipe without worry is worth the $500 for the bumper coverage. I have read that leaving bugs on the wrap for a few days will actually etch it though so...

The irony of your statement is that a museum car wouldn't need protection but a DD car regularly exposed to risks does IF you want to always look at a minimally damaged finish without performing a regular painting refresh. I do think the bugs benefit of being able to just keep a rag in the trunk and wet it with some water and wipe without worry is worth the $500 for the bumper coverage. I have read that leaving bugs on the wrap for a few days will actually etch it though so...
Sounds like thosebugs have some Alien blood !:)

Last edited:
I got the bumper wrapped and am happy with it. I get piece of mind for rock chips and an additional benefit of easily wiping off dead bugs that seem to be constantly stuck on the bumper. I dont have to always wipe it off right away.

I got the bumper wrapped and am happy with it. I get piece of mind for rock chips and an additional benefit of easily wiping off dead bugs that seem to be constantly stuck on the bumper. I dont have to always wipe it off right away.

This is a timely topic.

I've had my Pearl White M3 for about seven months/4500mi and already have 2-3 very small paint chips in the front bumper that show up black. I also go camping often so I have experienced the considerable bug build up. I'm planning a few long trips this summer and have decided to fix the chips myself with PW Dr. ColorChip touch up paint, then pay to have just the front bumper wrapped with the hope that it will prevent future chips and make it so I can just pressure wash bugs off. The idea of driving and knowing that the bumper is getting chipped up is too much to bear at this point in my ownership.

Fingers crossed.

Reactions: Jaywlker
I got a "reasonable" quote today of $3500 to do the full car in Suntek's new Ultra Defense that has built in hydrophobic properties. I think I may do this now since in addition to the damage protection it would alleviate a lot of maintenance issues for me living on a dirt road. I can quickly spray the car off and dry with a towel without carefully washing it and never worry about scratching the paint. If the paint is flawless when I pickup Saturday I am scheduled for this install Monday. The installer is a sub who works in house for a decent sized exotic dealer across the street from my work. I would have never known he was offering the service there is he wasn't ;listed as a dealer on Suntek's website. I haven't seen his work but considering all of their cars get at least a bumper PPF and the cars in inventory range from $125-500k I think it will be a good install.

I guess I am looking for missing considerations that may sell me before it is too late to apply a wrap as the paint acquires any damage from daily driving.
I did full PPF on my S over six years ago. It's saved the paint quite a few times when some other vehicle has rubbed against it. Just a bit of bug and tar remover cleans the foreign paint right off. Still looks good.

The criteria I use for this kind of thing: Is it less than sales tax? If it is then it's a go, if more then it's probably not worth it.

• Informative
Reactions: Jaywlker
While we plan to keep our cars for sometime (and have in the past with other cars), you never know what your car's future holds. We don't like seeing door dings and scratches and want our car to look as new as when it was delivered. So we went the full PPF and ceramic route. If it only gets minor abrasions/what have you with no accidents requiring repainting, when we do come to sell or trade in our car it will likely retain the most value on a private market. Those guys at Carmax for example have no trouble using their sensors to tell if you've had a paint job and deduct money off a trade-in, even if it wasn't an accident that had to be reported. Anyway it's something if you have the money each has to decide for himself. I'd much rather buy a used car that had been expertly wrapped, knowing it had that protection on it.

As for bugs, ceramic coating will help them slip off easily and leave you with a nice shine. Does have to be done every couple of years though. Depends on the product.

• Informative
Reactions: duanra

Bugs still stick to my PPF. And I have to scrub to get them off. I think the ceramic coating is what helps with that.

For anyone thinking of getting PPF and/or ceramic coating, do yourself a huge favor and see the detailers work ahead of time. Ideally in the case of PPF they have worked on Teslas before. You pay for what you get, so educate yourself about the different levels of each product and how it is applied (for PPF, what panels will be full wrap edges). What kind of maintenance will be required down the road from you. PPF will need you to come back in within a few days (maybe week at the outset) to check the edges and remove any bubbles. Plan your schedule for this. Most places won't warranty it if you fail to show for this inspection and they shouldn't. Also on ceramic coating, it needs to dry to harden. You don't want to get it wet within a certain period of time. If you don't have a garage to store the car in to protect from rain or snow, either make sure you have a dry place it can be kept or that they can store the car for you during that time period or hold off doing for better weather (really hard with shop appointments snapped up quickly). Good shops get very busy and move cars in and out all the time and storage inside could be a problem.

Any good installer will have been doing this for a number of years and be more than happy to show off their work and help you become an educated consumer. It's a good chunk of change to add the protection so learn about what you are buying. Don't find yourself starting a thread saying what a horrible experience you had and if you knew better you would have chosen differently. We're here to help with pointers but you need to do the rest.

Last edited:
Reactions: jerry33