Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How does the trunk work on the Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Elon said a 7 foot surfboard, sure. But in 'murica a sheet of plywood is 4 feet by 8 feet. I've had Honda, Mazda and BMW sedans before and none of those could fit a sheet of plywood. Unless of course they were cut down into smaller bits first :)
True. I can still fit most dimensional lumber in a 3. However, I'd like to be able to throw a washing machine/etc in there too, like I can with an S/Prius/etc... Having said that, factory sanctioned hitching mounting points would also work for me. :D

Yes, but I think he is saying no one is going to spend an extra $40k when the primarily concern is the hatch. Basically the "want a hatch? get an S" is not a reasonable proposition.

How about "want a hatch, wait for the Model Y" -- the small SUV on the Model 3 platform.

There are many who want a pickup, too. Well, we ain't got one. But wait a bit.

You just have to get your "primary concern" priorities straight. This car is perfect for its segment. Want a hatch? Well, you either buy an inferior car or a more expensive car or quit worrying about a hatch. Elon says you can put a 7 foot surfboard inside, so I assume the rear seats fold down and the dogs can figure it out. Or let them in the side door. It's what you get when you only want to pay half as much.

Yet Tesla decided to put a hatch on THE sportiest sedan in the world. But not on the more practical "car for the masses?"
The S has a hatch in part because Elon wanted to have an option for 2 child seats facing backwards. That would not have been possible unless the S had a big hatch.

With the 3 there is no such option, nor could there be because the 3 is much shorter than the S. So no need for a more costly hatchback. The design direction for the 3 is a 5 person sedan with a trunk. Not a hatchback with a high rear deck. And I'm fine with that. I have a 3 reserved. It will replace my S, which is a bigger car than I need.

No car can be all things to all people. All the other manufactures have been around for many decades and have dozens of models to fill as many market segments as possible. With the 3, Tesla will have just three models in production. Obviously they are only serving a few market segments.

The Model Y, or whatever the CUV version of the 3 will be called, will certainly have a hatchback. So if that is what you want, you will have to wait for it. Patience young Jedi...

Reactions: MrBoylan
Elon says you can put a 7 foot surfboard inside, so I assume the rear seats fold down and the dogs can figure it out. Or let them in the side door. It's what you get when you only want to pay half as much.
Agreed.

I suspect that putting a 7 foot surfboard in a Model 3 will require moving the passenger seat forward a bit, or even folding the seat back forward. If it will fit just by folding down a back seat, I will be impressed!

I am hoping this the Model X reveal in reverse. In the Model X reveal they showed a car with folding 2nd row seats and huge storage capacity. The production version has non folding 2nd row seats and hence a less flexible storage space. So here we see a car with a less useful non hatch trunk in the reveal and maybe we get a more flexible more useful hatch trunk in the production version. It would make sense to keep this secret until the last minute so as to keep sales of the S and X strong while waiting.

Trunk looks like plenty big to me......
View attachment 170328
Yes! Can we delete all the other Model 3 trunk pictures and videos please? :)

BTW, I walked past a Lexus sedan on the way home from my son's soccer game. The trunk looked about this size or smaller. I guess I'm starting to notice now.

I've been waiting so long I just want a Tesla. I'd take an AMC Pacer with a Tesla badge on it at this point, as long as it has over 200 miles of range and supercharger access. (oh, wait... that's a hatchback).

Reactions: doublejj
Yes! Can we delete all the other Model 3 trunk pictures and videos please? :)
The trunk opening looks bigger in that picture, but in the video it looks tiny (esp. the horizontal surface). I think we need to see some bags (for example putting some standard size carry ons or luggage) or measurements and different angles for perspective.

Last edited:
How about "want a hatch, wait for the Model Y" -- the small SUV on the Model 3 platform.

There are many who want a pickup, too. Well, we ain't got one. But wait a bit.

You just have to get your "primary concern" priorities straight. This car is perfect for its segment. Want a hatch? Well, you either buy an inferior car or a more expensive car or quit worrying about a hatch. Elon says you can put a 7 foot surfboard inside, so I assume the rear seats fold down and the dogs can figure it out. Or let them in the side door. It's what you get when you only want to pay half as much.
To clarify, not having a hatch is not a dealbreaker for me personally. I find a trunk acceptable as long as the opening is large enough (which it doesn't appear to be in the prototype, but hopefully this will change).

However, I understand the perspective of those where this is a 100% dealbreaker. A Model S is not a valid choice for them either, not only because of the price, but also the size (too big).

For me personally, a Model Y will probably not be my choice, as I don't want a CUV. Perhaps some will be waiting for that. A Model 3 with a hatch would be a perfect car for me and I'm sure a lot of people. Right now it is a compromise (although one I can accept).

This is what we are fighting for! Unfortunately it was all but confirmed by Mr. Elon Musk that due to basic frame design and headroom a lift back is impossible. Hopefully someone at Tesla will take a look at this thread and relay the "cry" to Mr. Musk. As i mentioned previously, Tesla is designing the back seat to a virtually nonexistent market. We should do a poll and ask how often the average person sits in the back who is 6Ft +.
95cc3a23e712fa10e31791e500c7d950.jpg

Last edited:
This is what we are fighting for! Unfortunately it was all but confirmed by Mr. Elon Musk that due to basic frame design and headroom a lift back is impossible. Hopefully someone at Tesla will take a look at this thread and relay the "cry" to Mr. Musk. As i mentioned previously, Tesla is designing the back seat to a virtually nonexistent market. We should do a poll and ask how often the average person sits in the back who is 6Ft +.
Doubt I'm the first one to make the connection, but I think the greater emphasis on rear headroom has a lot to deal with the rise of Uber and other car/ride-sharing services. Add in the autonomous driving component and more passengers will be moving towards the back seat, so the model 3 design is a first step in that direction.

It's also important to note that there were slightly different variants on display/being driven that evening.

We're still not sure which trunk that we've seen will be the one that comes off the line next year.

and for the record: "Part 2" will NOT be the Y. The number of Model 3 pre-orders has killed even a glimmer of hope of that. They have an uphill climb to reach the production ramp needed to satisfy demand.

Part 2 will be a finished interior, and AutoPilot 2.0, pricing, options, configurations, etc.