Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How does the trunk work on the Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I could get 2 men & a boy in there.......
image.jpeg.jpg

Reactions: 1.21 Jiggawatts
No big changes though.

Some of the test drivers have said that the production car trunk is larger as there are some prototype equipment in the test cars.

As long as they remove the parcel shelf, I'd be super-happy. I too have dogs that I'd like to be able to ride in the back.

I can't imagine they wouldn't be able to get enough body rigidity from the frame that the back of the back glass attaches to.

And the seat hinges could certainly be strong enough as to not need a bulkhead for the seats to lean against when in the normal, seating position. I think the only/main challenge there is the seatbelt anchor point for the middle seat. It would have to be internal. But it probably is for most/all of the X seats too. So this isn't something new they'd have to figure out.

I really hope they add a beam/joint behind the rear seat and make it function like a model S. There doesn't seem to be any good reason why this wasn't done in the first place.

The reason was pretty clear -- that beam would infringe upon rear passenger headroom (and rear mirror visibility, like the S). I'd say for most people, the added passenger room + normal trunk function would be better than diminished passenger headroom + enhanced cargo capacity. I agree it is a shame that there is no hatch (before the reveal I thought this was a given), as the actual trunk space looks roomy, but will be constrained under some circumstances by the small aperture.

The reason was pretty clear -- that beam would infringe upon rear passenger headroom (and rear mirror visibility, like the S). I'd say for most people, the added passenger room + normal trunk function would be better than diminished passenger headroom + enhanced cargo capacity. I agree it is a shame that there is no hatch (before the reveal I thought this was a given), as the actual trunk space looks roomy, but will be constrained under some circumstances by the small aperture.

The fact that a hatchback would diminish rear viability is the primary problem. Since they would have to move that cross beam and, i have no idea how big the new cross beam would have to be. Perhaps make the center cross beam bigger? However the rear visibility problem is present in all sedans to date.....

Reactions: Zoomit
Elon says it is mainly for rear passenger headroom. This had been a complaint in the Model S, but I'm not sure if it's to the point where people would favor rear headroom over having a hatch.

Others have also suggested the current design gives better structural rigidity and improves on road noise.

My apologies if this has come up already (I don't want to read all 11 pages just to post this quick message) but the Model 3 prototypes definitely have a normal trunk not a hatch/liftback like the Model S. It reminds me of the Volvo S60 trunk:

https://images.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u...vo-s60-4-door-sedan-trunk_100332512_l.jpg&f=1

In other words, non-bending glass combined with a very short trunk lid top and a relatively small opening.

Reactions: doublejj
I could get 2 men & a boy in there.......
View attachment 170674
This perspective is deceiving. The limiting factor is the opening as viewed from the profile. There is very little distance between the inner lip near the bumper and the top of the trunk near the rear window. Just try getting a decent size cooler in there. Now if we're talking suitcases well then it can probably fit as many as any other car in it's class. The issue is going to be fitting bulky items in there. BTW, I'm not complaining, just pointing out what I see. This will in no way stop me from buying this car.

Reactions: doublejj
I really hope they add a beam/joint behind the rear seat and make it function like a model S. There doesn't seem to be any good reason why this wasn't done in the first place.

Look at the length difference in the S and the 3 from the rear wheels to the bumper. The good reason this wasn't done in the first place is because there isn't room. They can make the 3 a hatchback, but then the backseats will be smaller with less headroom. Musk said there will be a hitch option so for bigger loads, get a small trailer and pull behind it. I'd rather have headroom for all the adults I'm going to give rides to who sit in the back seat than a small interior that crunches people in like a BMW 3 Series. This is just my opinion though. =)

Reactions: palmer_md
Not sure if this was posted but Elon responded to some tweets about the trunk opening size. Here is his tweet in quotes...

"@Christiano92 @Inspron @Jerry22499879 won't be a hatchback, but we should be able to increase the opening width and height..."

Sounds like they'll be working on making the opening larger but not a hatch. Ever. That puts that issue to rest.

• Informative
Reactions: mikevbf
Well, unless Tesla had development of a 5-door in parallel with the sedan, that variant is likely at least a year or two out from the main Model 3's introduction. I have very little hope it will come to market with a rear hatch. However, a larger trunk opening would be a plus.

All these people wanting a large trunk, a hatch, something to haul lumber in, etc. Heck, when Tesla reveals their pickup, it will be more in demand than the model 3!

• Funny
Reactions: jim3cantos
Seems like Tesla could trim roof glass length without losing rear view for driver, see attached photo showing rear head rests, the green line shows the head rests block the view mostly. Also I can't see clearly from the pictures but it looks like there is a lip on the bottom trunk opening that could be trimmed. What are your views on this ?
m3trunk.jpg

Reactions: 1.21 Jiggawatts