Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How does the updated 90D get 300 miles range??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here's my battery label. What does it tell us?

My original 90% was 264 and 100% was 292. After two weeks the 90% rose to 265. I haven't actually done a 100% charge since then, but the math says 265/.9 = 294.

2016-04-30 155733.JPG

Here's my battery label. What does it tell us?

My original 90% was 264 and 100% was 292. After two weeks the 90% rose to 265. I haven't actually done a 100% charge since then, but the math says 265/.9 = 294.

View attachment 174733

It's the same part number as my September 2015 90D. I posted my label in the "90D Slowly Loosing Range" thread. So if it's not the battery and it's not aerodynamics what the heck is different?

How do you know it's the same part number and chemistry?

We've compared the battery labels of my car and the new 90D's. The Model X has a different part number but my S and the newer S's have the same part number with the new silicon battery chemistry. I suppose they could have changed something inside the battery and not changed the rev and part number or told anyone but that would be deceptive.

We've compared the battery labels of my car and the new 90D's. The Model X has a different part number but my S and the newer S's have the same part number with the new silicon battery chemistry. I suppose they could have changed something inside the battery and not changed the rev and part number or told anyone but that would be deceptive.

If they had different chemistries they would probably change the part number to facilitate inventory and repairs. You wouldn't want to have to open the pack to find out whats inside.

I was wondering the same thing, last week when I picked up i was told it has a lot to do with new battery chemistry and the addition to Silicone. Some last "Classics" also have the new battery.
The partial silicon anode was introduced with the 90kWh battery. It has nothing to do with the recent EPA number change and the facelift.
Charged EVs | Tesla tweaks its battery chemistry: a closer look at silicon anode development

Again, it bears repeating: The new EPA numbers are largely because Tesla decided to rerate the 90kWh this year with the facelift. In the 2015 version, they just reused the 85kWh numbers (270 miles) without retesting it, in order to save money (EPA allows for this to happen for sufficiently similar models). With the facelift, they probably have to re-certify the car anyways, so it makes sense to wait for now to update the numbers.

There may be some aero differences with the facelift and new base wheels that contributed also.

The partial silicon anode was introduced with the 90kWh battery. It has nothing to do with the recent EPA number change and the facelift.
Charged EVs | Tesla tweaks its battery chemistry: a closer look at silicon anode development

Again, it bears repeating: The new EPA numbers are largely because Tesla decided to rerate the 90kWh this year with the facelift. In the 2015 version, they just reused the 85kWh numbers (270 miles) without retesting it, in order to save money (EPA allows for this to happen for sufficiently similar models). With the facelift, they probably have to re-certify the car anyways, so it makes sense to wait for now to update the numbers.

There may be some aero differences with the facelift and new base wheels that contributed also.

Right but that doesn't answer the question on the EPA rated range differences between the 90D's pre-facelift.

Pretty sure this question is asked and answered every year.

Your 100% is not a MEASURED value. It is a CALCULATED value. The computer measures total battery content (although I think there's some estimating here too, as what it actually measures is voltage), and multiplies that by a number of factors, one of which appears to be your average watts/miles and displays your range in miles. In order to have a true conversation of battery capacity, the computer really should show us watt-hours. For some reason, Tesla has chosen to not show that - just miles or %.

Reactions: newtman
We are only on week 2 with the car but our range is higher then most people we have spoken to. Just did a 100% charge, we where told by SC when we picked up that the battery has some silicone in it and one of the last classics built in march, If my math is right we are 290 miles. If I change to "ideal" we go well past 365 miles... also I am and have been very hard on the "go" button the last 2 weeks so being efficient was low on the agenda..... love this thing!

Attachments

• Screenshot_2016-05-01-06-44-30.png
    Screenshot_2016-05-01-06-44-30.png
    106.3 KB · Views: 88
  • Screenshot_2016-05-01-06-55-24.png
    Screenshot_2016-05-01-06-55-24.png
    108.4 KB · Views: 109
Oh, if I only had a passel of Superchargers on my horizon, or better yet my doorstep.
Lacking that, I have just had to make due with the charging resources at hand (sometimes not so handy or speedy).

Maybe for my next car some Superchargers will be more plentiful and closer.