Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How does the updated 90D get 300 miles range??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We are only on week 2 with the car but our range is higher then most people we have spoken to. Just did a 100% charge, we where told by SC when we picked up that the battery has some silicone in it and one of the last classics built in march, If my math is right we are 290 miles. If I change to "ideal" we go well past 365 miles... also I am and have been very hard on the "go" button the last 2 weeks so being efficient was low on the agenda..... love this thing!

All of the 90 KWh batteries have some silicon in the mix. It does look like the beginning rated range is more than the previous generation of 90s. I don't know if it's because they are putting a bit more silicon in the batteries, or if other improvements are improving the range. The slipstream wheels are a bit more efficient, the nose on the refresh may be a bit better aerodynamics (though you have a classic style), and there may have been some tweaks to the firmware. There are a lot of variables and it's hard to tell what caused the range improvements. There are enough other things than more silicon in the battery that could be responsible.

If Tesla did tweak the chemistry, that indicates that the 100 KWh is probably still some ways off. They aren't going to tweak the chemistry only to discontinue it after a month or two.

Oh, if I only had a passel of Superchargers on my horizon, or better yet my doorstep.
Lacking that, I have just had to make due with the charging resources at hand (sometimes not so handy or speedy).

Maybe for my next car some Superchargers will be more plentiful and closer.
Huh? No Superchargers in your area, Mr. Dallas?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-05-03 at 1.32.45 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-05-03 at 1.32.45 AM.png
    292.5 KB · Views: 75
245 miles of rated range @ 90% is awesome.

My S85 is almost 3 years old, 56K miles: at 100% charge is can barely achieve 246 miles of rated range.

Interesting. My car is ~35 months old, and has ~71K miles. My 100% charge is 252 currently.

I normally charge to 70% on weekdays, and 90% on weekends. I've charged to 100% probably only 12-15 times.

Huh? No Superchargers in your area, Mr. Dallas?

You are correct: North Texas has access to a whole lot more Superchargers than Memphis currently has.
I wrote a post almost 17 months ago that the two (large) cities NOT covered by Superchargers at the time were New Orleans and Memphis.
Memphis is almost alone on that list.
You can just get to Pearl in an S85.
Really hoping to see you get a couple of Superchargers East, North and West (and South) so you can better enjoy traveling a bit.

A little of (North) Texas Tesla Supercharger history:
Until March 2015, Texas was still a Supercharger "island".
I had already driven (jumped?) off the island at least twice.
And then >>> there was Ardmore.
And Weatherford.
And Perry.
And much more.

And eventually I-10 filled in.
So for 13 months or so, there have been some viable Supercharger linking Options connecting Texas.
There are Some operable Superchargers, and I can currently drive either North or South.

My first trip East to South Carolina in Oct./Nov. 2013 was without any Superchargers (except Burlington, NC, twice).
17 or 18 RV Parks, State Parks, Whole Foods in Charlotte, Tesla Service Center in Atlanta, all charges were to 100%.

And since then I been to multiple other locations that 100% charge was mandated.
Maybe I should have been limiting the charge to 95%? or 90%?
Who knows....

If the stars align, there will be a second Tesla in my future.
It will probably not experience a full 100% charge, or even require it, because the Supercharger Network will have filled in a whole LOT more.
Including access to and from Memphis.

If it is another S, really want it to have a third digit (S100 or S105).
Not because of the available higher speed, but because of the greater Range (say Hello to 300+ miles).

If it is a Model 3, hope to get the "maximum miler" Options package(s).

I've been concerned for some time about the 90kWh pack, as adding silicon to a LiIon battery causes it to degrade much quicker. Should have a much shorter lifetime than older packs.

I was hoping I'm wrong and I can't believe that Tesla would do that, but so far it's not looking too good. Time will tell.

I've been concerned for some time about the 90kWh pack, as adding silicon to a LiIon battery causes it to degrade much quicker. Should have a much shorter lifetime than older packs.

I was hoping I'm wrong and I can't believe that Tesla would do that, but so far it's not looking too good. Time will tell.

I haven't heard of any shortened life issues with 90 KWh packs. Where did you see people having problems?

It is a characteristic of silicon-modified cells to degrade rather quickly. I thought maybe Tesla had overcome this when they came out with the 90 pack, but it's looking like the 90's are degrading to 85 capacity so far. Concerning.

It is a characteristic of silicon-modified cells to degrade rather quickly. I thought maybe Tesla had overcome this when they came out with the 90 pack, but it's looking like the 90's are degrading to 85 capacity so far. Concerning.

Some are some aren't. I don't think you can make a general statement like that without a) good data b) knowledge of how those that have rapid degradation are discharging and balancing their packs c) impact of recent firmware on rated range. The jury is still out IMO.

They aren't using enough silicon to matter that much. It is a partial silicon anode, not a full silicon anode, which is why the increase in capacity is only moderate.

We need a lot more battery survey data to be able to conclude the 90s are degrading more rapidly than 85.

Reactions: msnow
Without doing proper balancing, it is hard to tell if the range guess is reflecting real degradation or not. I "gained" about 7 miles of rated range while charging/discharging for some road trips recently.

Reactions: msnow
Some are some aren't. I don't think you can make a general statement like that without a) good data b) knowledge of how those that have rapid degradation are discharging and balancing their packs c) impact of recent firmware on rated range. The jury is still out IMO.
This is not theory or speculation. It is a fact about silicon-modified LiIon cells that they degrade quickly. True those with less anode silicon degrade less quickly, but still alot faster than without.

I was just thinking out loud above and don't intend to research this for you.

This is not theory or speculation. It is a fact about silicon-modified LiIon cells that they degrade quickly. True those with less anode silicon degrade less quickly, but still alot faster than without.

I was just thinking out loud above and don't intend to research this for you.

Nice try but no. You made a specific comment about Tesla's 90D's degrading to the 85 kWh. That's more than a general comment about the battery chemistry and requires facts. Me and others upthread are just saying more data is needed that's all.